Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:46 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times

Advertisements

I was talking to some people in the banking industry who work with the Credit Card division about the topic of CC interest and service charges. I was told that the amount of competition in the Credit Card business continues to go down. More than 80% of Credit Cards are now controlled by Chase, Citicorp and Capital One.

Anyway, they hope to eventually control enough of the market so they can start charging interest from the date of purchase for all customers including people who pay their accounts in full each month. Basically all customers who charged during the month would pay some interest unless they had a Credit Balance on their account larger than the charges.

Reduced competition in the Credit Card industry has already:

Increased interest rates, late charges, returned check charges, fees for cash advances and convenience checks, annual fees, etc. It is only a matter of time before we all pay alot of interest regardless of our payment habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I was talking to some people in the banking industry who work with the Credit Card division about the topic of CC interest and service charges. I was told that the amount of competition in the Credit Card business continues to go down. More than 80% of Credit Cards are now controlled by Chase, Citicorp and Capital One.

Anyway, they hope to eventually control enough of the market so they can start charging interest from the date of purchase for all customers including people who pay their accounts in full each month. Basically all customers who charged during the month would pay some interest unless they had a Credit Balance on their account larger than the charges.

Increased interest rates, late charges, returned check charges, fees for cash advances and convenience checks, annual fees, etc. It is only a matter of time before we all pay alot of interest regardless of our payment habits.
If that happens, I suspect people will be using credit cards only to guarantee things like hotels and car rentals until they can pay cash. Debit cards will be used for airline purchases and other online shopping.

I, for one, am working furiously to pay off credit card debt only to shred all but two (one personal and one business). The personal one I only plan on using as I stated above. The business one I'll use for purchases that I can pay off in 1-3 months.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Not really. I will just start paying bills with check or direct pay etc. No way I'd pay interest for using a credit card. <Shrug>

Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not really. I will just start paying bills with check or direct pay etc. No way I'd pay interest for using a credit card. <Shrug>
I'm the same. I already use direct pay for most of my bills. A credit card is a convenience but it isn't vital.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
If that happens, I suspect people will be using credit cards only to guarantee things like hotels and car rentals until they can pay cash. Debit cards will be used for airline purchases and other online shopping.

I, for one, am working furiously to pay off credit card debt only to shred all but two (one personal and one business). The personal one I only plan on using as I stated above. The business one I'll use for purchases that I can pay off in 1-3 months.
Someone eventually should come up with a much better alternative to cc's for hotels or car rentals. Besides that, do you really need them vs a debit card?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
The problem with CC issuers is that they do not own your debt. The banks mentioned, as well as all the rest, excepting some local banks that carry the debt as a portfolio loan, use the "securitization model", meaning that they bundle your debt with that of other cardholders, and securitize it as bonds for investors to buy. The only part they play in it from then on, is as servicers of that debt.

Servicers (the "CC issuer") make their money with a cut of the interest and any annual fees charged. This latest bright idea of theirs is just another way to line their own pockets. Personally, I see little reason to pay interest or anything else to someone who does not even own my debt.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
that will be the end of it. only ones that will use em -shouldn't.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Prices on many things would go down b/c people will be more careful with how they spend their money.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Whoever does not get rid of the grace period will take a lot of the market, the other credit card companies may make enough money charging interest on the daily balance, but the one that takes the large market share will end up getting the bulk of merchant fees, if it is Discover, or American Express they will end up really raking it in. Merchant fees are 2-3% of the purchase. On average the money is lent out 30 days or less for people paying it off at the end of the month, that represents a ROI of 24-36% annualized on average if the company lending the money also owns the POS equipment and network, they get the entire merchant fee, companies like American Express, and Discover do it that way, if they decide to keep the grace period, and get the bulk of transactions they will be making lots of money. Sure the others might get more ROI on the little money they invest, but they will not be able to invest more money into it, since people just won't buy stuff using their cards anymore, unless they trick people into using their cards, I don't think paying to use a credit card will be as popular as they expect, and they will lose a lot of business.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,898 times
When is this supposed to happen? Inever read those notices they send out. There is so much fine print, that i give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics