Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times

Advertisements

This new tipping tax law seems like it stinks for restaurant waiter staff. I believe this is way overboard,
especially if a server gets that special table of 6 or more and after all of their hard work "gets stiffed" - zero $$$ tip! With that in mind, I believe this will financially hurt servers. I am wondering how servers in charlotte and surrounding areas feel about this.

How the IRS Tipping Crackdown Impacts Restaurants, Servers | Fox Small Business Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
This new tipping tax law seems like it stinks for restaurant waiter staff. I believe this is way overboard,
especially if a server gets that special table of 6 or more and after all of their hard work "gets stiffed" - zero $$$ tip! With that in mind, I believe this will financially hurt servers. I am wondering how servers in charlotte and surrounding areas feel about this.

How the IRS Tipping Crackdown Impacts Restaurants, Servers | Fox Small Business Center
Yes it sucks. Our restuarant only did it for private events. Those checks can be into the thousands of dollars. Luckily because of our price point most people have class, and understand the importance of tipping. Who it's going to hurt the most is servers at restaurants like Fridays and chilis. Those folk have to wait on the dregs of society. Because of the way tipout works(they tipout 3percent of their sales. When they get stiffed it actually costs them money! Funny thing is how this law directly affects the people Obama claims to champion. Make no mistake this is due to obamas policies.

Last edited by tread102; 01-07-2014 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
Yep. Continue enjoying the rewards of the 2009 Congress.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
With seemingly everyone using debit and credit cards it is going to hurt a lot of people. If we were still a mostly cash society, it would just be another unpaid tax, mostly ignored.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM

310 posts, read 672,855 times
Agree with spankys bbq. Carry cash on you when you go out to eat for the sole purpose of denying the State this ridiculous tax while making sure that people who are working hard for the (insanely low, good lord how do you people expect humans to live) money they earn get to keep it - Not government jack legs who put ink on parchment.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM

385 posts, read 730,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Agree with spankys bbq. Carry cash on you when you go out to eat for the sole purpose of denying the State this ridiculous tax while making sure that people who are working hard for the (insanely low, good lord how do you people expect humans to live) money they earn get to keep it - Not government jack legs who put ink on parchment.
That's gonna be tough to tell people dining for business purposes.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM

467 posts, read 1,496,861 times
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the law, but from what I see:

1) income that's supposed to be taxed, is now taxed, just like everyone else

2) servers still probably don't make enough at the end of the year to pay tax anyway

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Ur misunderstanding the law. Auto tips have always been taxed. The IRS just don't see them as tips anymore. They see it as a service charge, as such the restaurants have to change the way they do their taxes. Their response has been to eliminate it. Most restaurants have gone ahead and done this. It will amount to a huge pay cut for servers that work at low-end restaurants.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
I try to tip in cash as much as possible.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Yes it sucks. Our restuarant only did it for private events. Those checks can be into the thousands of dollars. Luckily because of our price point most people have class, and understand the importance of tipping. Who it's going to hurt the most is servers at restaurants like Fridays and chilis. Those folk have to wait on the dregs of society. Because of the way tipout works(they tipout 3percent of their sales. When they get stiffed it actually costs them money! Funny thing is how this law directly affects the people Obama claims to champion. Make no mistake this is due to obamas policies.
Did you really blame Obama for this? I guess it makes sense since the link is from Fox Biz...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics