Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 01:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Quit the excuses and just move already! Move your parents into section 11 (or whatever it is) convalescent homes, sell your house at a loss, leave your support network and move on up to the new found utopia of the fracking fields. Of course, you'll probably have to live in a tent (in the middle of winter) for a while as the new flophouse dormitories are built.........or maybe you can get lucky and find a weekly rent for under 500 bucks. Learn all the new opportunities that come with living in an old west style boom town. Overcrowded to nonexistant bathrooms and sanitary facilities, rampant sexually transmitted diseases, high rates of alcohol and drug abuse (especially meth) and as a bonus, because you're a woman, the increased threat of rape and domestic violence. All that can be yours simply for the cost of completely changing your life as you know it and abandoning whatever support network you have to live the glorious boom town life.

Now Gal, you have no excuse for not moving, I've laid out the whole plan for you. Ditch those old folks and go out and make your fortune.......again. Better do it soon though, fracking is a dicey practice that extracts a heavy environmental price and once those damned liberals get it in their heads that we're poisoning the ground water at an alarming rate, they're gonna want to ban that too.
What is your basis for making this pronouncement? Practically everyone who relocates for work has a STRONG EXCUSE for not moving. Kids get uprooted from school, friends are let go, comfort zones get cast aside. But they move anyway. Else they could stay where they are and read the writing on the wall while the shadow of underemployment slowly engulfs them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What is your basis for making this pronouncement? Practically everyone who relocates for work has a STRONG EXCUSE for not moving. Kids get uprooted from school, friends are let go, comfort zones get cast aside. But they move anyway. Else they could stay where they are and read the writing on the wall while the shadow of underemployment slowly engulfs them.
..........and you've done this yourself?

Old 12-11-2013, 02:00 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
If they're relocating for work--that is, they have a job offer waiting--that's one thing.

Relocating just because you heard someone in that far city might be hiring is a different thing.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
..........and you've done this yourself?
Absolutely, as do a lot of people who live and work in the NYC metro area. Left my home to go to grad school in NYC, then took an investment banking job in Sta. Monica, then worked in Southeast Asia before going back to the NYC metro area. Been there, done that. Yes, some things had to be let go. If I stayed where I came from then COL would one day have caught up with my wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If they're relocating for work--that is, they have a job offer waiting--that's one thing.

Relocating just because you heard someone in that far city might be hiring is a different thing.
Again my point -you SHOULD do it while you have a job. Don't wait till you get laid off. Maybe in a given year, you'll get one or two good opportunities. Be proactive and read the writing on the wall. Emigrations actually gave an example of someone who could have moved even after getting laid off so either way you cannot make blanket statements.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 12-11-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,301 times
Quote:
Absolutely, as do a lot of people who live and work in the NYC metro area. Left my home to go to grad school in NYC, then took an investment banking job in Sta. Monica, then worked in Southeast Asia before going back to the NYC metro area. Been there, done that. Yes, some things had to be let go. If I stayed where I came from then COL would one day have caught up with my wages.
Relocating to start a career or moving within your established field is very different than relocating in the middle of your life to an unknown area, with no guarantees, not knowing what you'll find.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 PM

/\/\

I was in the middle of my career when I relocated back to NYC.

Lots of people in NYC who relocate at different points in their lives. There are people in their 50s who relocate away from NY to overseas offices.

Of course it's a pain. Nobody is saying it won't cost a thing.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I'm confused by the inconsistency of some of the posters in this thread.

Some of you seem pretty desperate, but not yet desperate enough to make difficult and upsetting choices about where you want your life to go from here. You can stay with the known and piddle around in part-time, low wage work indefinitely, or you can put all your chips on the board and take a gamble. If you stay where you're at and continue sinking, at some point you'll go under. The only way off a sinking ship is to try the lifeboat. It may not work, but going down with the ship certainly won't work.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
OK, so where do I go? How do I pay for it? How do I pay for an apartment when I get there? Oh, and what if I can't find work 'there' either?

And what do I do about my parents WHO CAN'T MOVE?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I'm confused by the inconsistency of some of the posters in this thread.

Some of you seem pretty desperate, but not yet desperate enough to make difficult and upsetting choices about where you want your life to go from here. You can stay with the known and piddle around in part-time, low wage work indefinitely, or you can put all your chips on the board and take a gamble. If you stay where you're at and continue sinking, at some point you'll go under. The only way off a sinking ship is to try the lifeboat. It may not work, but going down with the ship certainly won't work.
I think the risks and inconveniences are better managed if they entertain opportunities to relocate while they have a job. In the years that I've been in the workforce, I have probably come across at least one or two good opportunities outside of my location every year. But had I wanted to pursue them, I would have easily afforded taking multiple trips to interview and even negotiate for better hiring terms. Of course if I was unemployed then 1 or 2 opportunities would feel few and far between and I would be more desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
OK, so where do I go? How do I pay for it? How do I pay for an apartment when I get there? Oh, and what if I can't find work 'there' either?
Do you know someone who has a job in a big company? Are you fluent in a second language like Spanish or Mandarin? Ask your acquaintance if they have openings in emerging markets like Latin America. They have a hard time staffing these positions. Usually openings are posted internally first. You will however will be expected to pay for your own housing but they will probably shoulder your relocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
And what do I do about my parents WHO CAN'T MOVE?
What do parents do about kids who are still in school? About relatives who can't move with them? They deal with it. If your parents are enough reason for you to exclude career opportunities outside of NYC then grin and bear with it. Rest assured someone else will take the opportunity.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,193 times
So - - how does cutting off extended UI help solve the problems of un and under employment? I get that many can't relate to being unable to find a job, much less with being laid off from a well-paying position and getting rejected for a Walmart greeter position because, with all your education and experience, you'd "be unhappy with this position". Being unemployed in a time of an over-abundance of workers for every available position,where employers can demand a BA to sort mail for $8.50/hr, is an alternate reality to what someone faced even 6 years ago.

But that aside, how does cutting off UI do anything to solve that? How does taking that $ out of the economy create or recreate jobs for the unemployed to get? 13% of our workforce are un or under-employed. Better than the 17% in 2009, but nothing to crow about except in comparison. In 2005,6,7 it hovered around 8%. This does not include those who have maxed out of UI and are no longer included as part of the "workforce", never had UI as they were self employed, worked for religious institutions who do not participate in UI, etc. It is short-sighted to think UI benefits only help the unemployed. UI doesn't just help families survive while someone looks for work, it helps the economy survive while all those salaries are subtracted from the demand side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics