Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times

Advertisements

We the childless by choice are an emerging group in the US.

Here is how I envision our lifestyle and economics.

--- focus on educational and career development which helps us obtain a better financial status
--- save a substantial amount for retirement. We need it since we don't have anyone to care for us.
--- spend money on increasing the quality of life, which may include food, travel, outdoors, fashion, etc.
--- create a circle of like minded friends and social support
--- have wonderful sex and social variety
--- enjoy the freedom to live a flexible, independent, and traveling life.
--- experience things that take a bit more money and or more time, in ways others can't.

What's yours ?

Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
I have two kids, who are completely awesome and I am very happy that they are mine. But of course, there are trade offs, and if you don't feel driven to have children then there would be loads of upsides to being childless.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
I'm not sure about never having kids, but I do think there are benefits to waiting to 35+. If one plays their cards right, they can be on firm financial ground with 20+ years of relatively care free living under their belt. By that time, most people are fully matured and know what they want.

I see several friends with kids in their early-mid 20s and they are struggling to get by. Unfortunately, I don't see their situations getting much better for at least a decade or more. If they have another kid it may be 20+ years. The kid(s) are financial dead weight as far as them getting ahead financially. This isn't always the case of course - some people go to college and have a good job by 22.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have no problem with people choosing not to have kids, and spending that $200,000+ per kid on other things. I have 3, and one grandchild, and am grateful for that every day. If you haven't experienced it, you have no idea what you are missing, and no one can really explain it.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
What does "wonderful sex" have to do with being childless?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
put me in the "not having kids" camp as well. it is my belief that most people should not reproduce, i am no exception.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
I just looked up the birthrate in the US and apparently it's we've set record lows in the past 2 years.

IMO, it is becoming more socially acceptable for people to not have children. I imagine that many years ago, a person at 30+ years old with no children would sort of be looked at as strange or weird within their community (I still see it now). Nowadays, one may not feel as isolated because they can jump online and connect with millions that don't want kids.

Education and careers may also delay child birth to the point where some just don't want the "drama" added to a life that's pretty fun and centered around themselves. In my town, it seems that 90% of those having children between 17-22 are "lower class" folks that don't have much money and little/no education past 12th grade (many were HS drop outs).

Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
We the childless by choice are an emerging group in the US.

Here is how I envision our lifestyle and economics.

--- focus on educational and career development which helps us obtain a better financial status
--- save a substantial amount for retirement. We need it since we don't have anyone to care for us.
--- spend money on increasing the quality of life, which may include food, travel, outdoors, fashion, etc.
--- create a circle of like minded friends and social support
--- have wonderful sex and social variety
--- enjoy the freedom to live a flexible, independent, and traveling life.
--- experience things that take a bit more money and or more time, in ways others can't.

What's yours ?
This is mine, except the no kids part. But it is my older daughter almost to a 'T"!
My younger daughter eventually wants a family and kids.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What does "wonderful sex" have to do with being childless?
I would answer that frankly, but it would be deemed off-topic, I believe.

Let me just say that the child-free are beginning to see themselves as an identifiable group who gets taken advantage of.

The OP's list is, IMO, silly and very little of it could be thought of as exclusive to child free couples.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I would answer that frankly, but it would be deemed off-topic, I believe.

Let me just say that the child-free are beginning to see themselves as an identifiable group who gets taken advantage of.

The OP's list is, IMO, silly and very little of it could be thought of as exclusive to child free couples.
Any change to tax law is not likely to happen in our lifetime, since the majority of Congressional/Senatorial
leaders and Presidents have children/grandchildren (Average age 57 House/63 Senate) unless the standard deduction for the parents also gets eliminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics