U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 5,238 times

Advertisements

hej folks how are you all doing, ok i have a little question about patents and i have been looking on the internet, looking up things that interest me and my brother since we came up with an invention and we are thinking to get it patented and then look for producing solutions perhaps even get an investor involved, and i am interested in cost and effectiveness of patents since i also heard stories that you can never really fully protect your idea from copying and that in the end it will be copied with a tweak or two more and it will look like a completely different product and will not be subject of patent infringement.
now for the patent infringement part i read some article about it Infringement of a Patent Munich Innovation Group GmbH and from what i understand is that patent infringement is hard to prove and that the claims a patent application consisted of need to be proven and if the claims that describe the patent do not match the description of the other, patent infringement can't be proven, so does that mean that if someone was to see our invention and made the smallest modification on it it would not be a case of patent infringement? if you could enlighten me a bit i would be very grateful
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 PM

13,046 posts, read 11,477,250 times
"does anyone know something about patents??"

Yes.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 PM

48,508 posts, read 87,710,893 times
First thing is to do a patent search to make sure its not already patented.Most likely you find similar patents and then its just proving its different enough to patent. Patents are basically there to provide prove if infringed on in civil damages if used without consent;nothing else.Lots of information if you do a search on patents.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 AM

28,900 posts, read 48,708,801 times
Having filed a couple of tech patents, I would advise you to employ the services of a good patent attorney.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 AM

2,127 posts, read 2,369,673 times
For the most part, a patent is only as good as the means and resources that you have to defend it. Even then, as you observe.... it is possible to tweak differences.

I am not a lawyer and I am not giving you legal advice. If your idea is a good one and you're going into business, then by all means get a patent.... but keep in mind that a patent will mostly dissuade small fries who are afraid you would notice them or companies who do not want to deal with legal hassles.

Entities with enough resources to think they can fend you off won't have much of a problem using your idea. You can try to go the route of NDAs and restrictive contracts (if your business model allows for them), but at the end of the day you should not expect a patent to exempt your business from having to compete with other businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics