Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 AM

152 posts, read 221,660 times

Advertisements

what do you think of Black Friday Cyber Monday? I think it brings out the bad in people. How many real deals are out there or is it hype that gets you to spend more for less and gets you into debt?
Does it lift your spirits or make you feel deprived?
I feel worn out from the barrage of ads that turn out unavailable. Seems like, it borders on false advertising.
Kohl's cash bucks get deducted first (only good at particular times) then whatever discount is offered is applied thus discounting the value of the cash bucks. Got a headache yet? I chuckled at the clerk and said "not really a good offer". The woman was pleasant, smiled and said corporate thinks "we give too many discounts". Then she asked me to give all 5s on the survey. Huh? So corporate Kohls don't give false discounts let's just have a fair price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The retailers depend on all of the hype to get people into a buying frenzy, since they make something like 40% of their revenue from that weekend to Christmas. People buy into the idea that they have to shop then to get the best deals, and to line up and rush to get the best of the sale items. That competition does bring out the worst in some people who "live to shop." I ignore it completely, and won't set foot in a store on Thanksgiving or black Friday, and stay off the commercial sites on Cyber Monday. I will do most of my gift shopping in the next couple of weeks, mostly online, mostly Amazon, and maybe pick up a few gift cards at the supermarket where they have hundreds of choices.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I didn't notice too many sales or deals. I'm not really looking for much and probably won't give gifts that would be part of these types of sales...mostly TVs and other expensive electronics.

They definitely depend on the hype to get you to spend more

Old 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM

41 posts, read 89,613 times
Gifts, parties, new electronic gadget launches, corporate bonuses, the competition was obvious on Black Friday. "Cyber Monday" follows "Black Friday" which traditionally marks the start of the Christmas shopping season. It has become its online equivalent, with internet stores now gearing up for what has become one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
How can it still be called "Black Friday" when it occurs on Thursday at 6pm ?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 AM

253 posts, read 228,858 times
I have to agree with you. The last couple years I have noticed that I don't find that many good deals. Maybe that is because like "HappyTexan" said, it starts on Thursday now and by the time the NORMAL shoppers get there, everything good is gone.

The fact that people leave Thanksgiving dinner, which to me is totally a family oriented holiday, to go wait in line with the other crazies is nuts. The fact that people actually die on Black Friday is a sign of where our society has fallen to. It is absolutely horrible that people could lose their lives a day after Thanksgiving over some meaningless sales. So sad.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Before going out I would pull out a $100 and ask: "is keeping this worth giving up most of Thanksgiving and dealing with the germs/grumpy/rude/traffic and other nasty stuff for 4-5 hrs?" I'd say 95% of shoppers are lucky to save $100 on a full day of shopping. The people that do save a good bit are those that wait in line 10+ hrs....but then you have to wait in line 10+ hrs.

People spend darn near $100 to take their family out to eat and a movie on any given weekend, but wont spend $100 for a relaxed Thanksgiving with them? Hmm...

Old 12-27-2013, 12:24 PM

152 posts, read 221,660 times
Has anyone noticed that those Black Friday limited exclusive deals on electronics are now available at a lot less? The Kindle comes to mind: $49 with free shipping on Amazon. I'll bet there will be more, particularly if people return them after checking out the specs and comparing. No need to open the package, just act before jan15

Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
It really seems to me that the retailers have gotten together to shoot themselves in the foot. Now the public is well trained to expect huge discounts on Black Friday.

People are going to spend the whole Christmas budget, no matter what. It was not necessary to give them all a 50% discount. If all the retailers had limited themselves to a couple of attractive sale items and some pretty decorating, they would have had the business and at the regular price.

But now, the customers feel they deserve 50% off and probably won't buy without the discounts.

Regular price before Christmas and give a good sale after Christmas to get rid of whatever didn't sell and you don't want to carry in inventory.

It's just mass foolishness and bad business practices.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I don't really care -- the stores here were crammed full of people from Thanksgiving Day all the way until Christmas. I dislike being in pushy crowds so I did most of my shopping on-line and have decided to start cutting back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics