Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
We now live in a world economy. Property in the US is purchase by foreign investors who see value here just as US investors and retirees for that matter see value in markets such as Mexico and Costa Rica.

Looking forward, I see an environment where the US attracts the wealthy from throughout the world to live in the desirable areas while US citizens who can no longer afford to live in the US especially after retirement will opt to move to countries where there retirement dollars will afford them a better lifestyle.
The U.S. will be the last great bastion of capitalism left in the world, the investor's all know that, they've done their homework, read our history books, I'm sure they're all aware of how easy it is to create mass hysteria in this country via our Red Scare of 1919-1920 and the 2nd Red Scare of the 50's with Joe McCarthy, what more assurances do they need!!!

From an investment standpoint, they see only green lights, no red lights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 AM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Chinese money rushing into U.S. residential real estate

Al Jazeera America ^ | 12/18/2013 | by Duarte Geraldino

Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:01:29 PM by SeekAndFind

Read more @ Chinese money rushing into U.S. residential real estate | Al Jazeera America [certainly not a right-wing publication!]

Seems quite clear and makes sense when one realizes that a lot of property here in Vegas is being bought up for cash by foreign buyers. Are we selling our country off to the Chinese?
It's investors and flippers who are driving the prices of real estate up, up and away. I detest these greedy people, because they're making owning a home unattainable for many Americans. Homes were made to be owned and occupied by individuals and families, not to be commodities.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In Seattle and the areas east, there are plenty of Chinese and other Asian cash buyers. On the eastside, not as much for investments as a place for them or their college student kids to live. Chinese investors in Seattle are hard to quantify with no accurate data since many are deeded to corporations but the population of Asians with English as a second language is increasing the most on the eastside where the schools are really good, which is very important to them.

Bellevue 28% Asian
Redmond 22.9%
Issaquah 18%
Seattle 14%
Sammamish 8%

Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Some people act like having foreign investment is a bad thing.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Some people act like having foreign investment is a bad thing.

I don't think it has anything to do with investing.

To me, it's a matter of selling off OUR COUNTRY. We appear to be one of the very few nations in the world that lets foreigners buy up real estate - both commercial and residential.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with investing.

To me, it's a matter of selling off OUR COUNTRY. We appear to be one of the very few nations in the world that lets foreigners buy up real estate - both commercial and residential.

Do you have any idea how miniscule the number of international buyers are compared to the number of US citizens who are buying US homes?

You still failed to explain why having foreign investment is a bad thing. Simply saying, "Selling off OUR COUNTRY" doesn't mean anything. It's just a rant. You need to translate that into a point.

And yes, Japan doesn't welcome foreign investment, and look where it got them.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
It's investors and flippers who are driving the prices of real estate up, up and away. I detest these greedy people, because they're making owning a home unattainable for many Americans. Homes were made to be owned and occupied by individuals and families, not to be commodities.
I've heard this argument before but I'm not too sure about it .

If the price is too high why are people buying the houses from flippers ?

If people stopped paying high prices , prices would be lower .

Another thing is that ironically the FHA loans that make homes "affordable " with low down payments actually make homes more expensive .

Supply and demand .

If FHA was not an option there would be less people that could buy a house because they'd need to have 20 percent down in cash or more ... But the good part is homes would be cheaper too .

Is anybody that makes a profit greedy ?

The flippers must be providing some value or the house would not sell . Especially nowadays home prices are freely available .

If someone buys the flipped home they must view it as a good value for them .

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
We now live in a world economy. Property in the US is purchase by foreign investors who see value here just as US investors and retirees for that matter see value in markets such as Mexico and Costa Rica.

Looking forward, I see an environment where the US attracts the wealthy from throughout the world to live in the desirable areas while US citizens who can no longer afford to live in the US especially after retirement will opt to move to countries where there retirement dollars will afford them a better lifestyle.
This is an interesting perspective and I agree this could happen .

It seems this has already happened in places like Mexico where there are a lot of Americans and others living in those nice beachfront areas.

Right now in Miami , luxury homes are being bought up like crazy especially by Brazillians that have a growing economy .

There are also reports of Chinese millionaires looking to move to the US .

If they already have money , they don't need or want jobs and can put money towards mostly passive investments . They will likely be buying up more real estate, businesses , etc.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
When you look at both china and japan and their investments in retirement its scary indeed what they own even in US treasuries. Both governments will look to those treasuries to fund much of their retirement accounts of aging populations.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 PM

306 posts, read 657,343 times
when homes rise sufficiently in value investors will be enticed to cash in on their profits, that will trigger a downward momentum and a huge crash! That is how market psychology works!! At some point you say screw the 3-4% yearly returns from my rental, I can cash in now and lock in a $300k profit...hehe! However if everyone thinks that way then the market is done.

My guess is that we are 2-3 years away from the very top... this thing still has quite a bit of upward momentum left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics