Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times

Advertisements

How often does someone's identity get stolen? How much damage can be done to one person? How much liability does the victim have if they report it in a timely fashion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 PM

23,548 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
How often does someone's identity get stolen?
There was a victim every two seconds in the US in 2013. 13.1 million people were victims in 2013, up by more than 500,000 victims from 2012. The number of people hit by ID theft grows every year.
How much damage can be done to one person?
Financially, emotionally and loss of time to deal with it .. it can be devastating.
How much liability does the victim have if they report it in a timely fashion?
For credit/debit card ID theft, if they are a true victim then no liability if they report it correctly and timely. That doesn't mean they won't suffer emotionally, lose time in dealing with it, or, if it was a debit card - having to wait for the funds to be replaced in their bank account. The cost coverage of insufficient charges, from debit card theft, with both the bank and the merchant, is up to the bank/merchant to decide if they want to waive the fees or not - there is no law that says they have to cover those fees.
ID theft info can be used for more than just credit/debit cards, which can be much tougher to deal with then credit/debit cards. For examples of different uses of stolen info*...
Common Types of Identity Fraud | Protect My ID

Scare tactic?

* edited to add .. I posted the link for informational purposes only, and not, as the OP mistakenly believes, to suggest that readers use the services offered on that site.

Last edited by berdee; 02-15-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
ID theft info can be used for more than just credit/debit cards, which can be much tougher to deal with then credit/debit cards. For examples of different uses of stolen info...
Common Types of Identity Fraud | Protect My ID

Scare tactic?
Thanks for helping me make my point.

I don't think people realize that they don't need to purchase identity theft protection if they pay attention.

The link you posted is a seller of ID theft protection.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:36 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
What frosts my ba*&s is everyone demands your sensitive data: realtors, utilities, doctors, ad infinitum, but when your info is misused YOU bear the brunt of it.

There should be ONE central repository of that data and each user authenticates to them when applying for a credit card or anything else.
The World shouldn't have access to all that.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thanks for helping me make my point.

I don't think people realize that they don't need to purchase identity theft protection if they pay attention.

The link you posted is a seller of ID theft protection.
Any kind of point you were trying to make was not included in your OP, and your point is basically still unknown.
No people do not need to purchase ID theft protection, and they shouldn't waste their money on something they can do on their own.
As for the link I posted, so what if it's to a theft protection site - if you'd read what I had said about the link - I said "For examples of different uses of stolen info" and not 'For examples of different uses of stolen info and a company that you can use to help guard against theft'. For you, and other people who may misread what I had posted, I have edited that post to place a disclaimer.

Last edited by berdee; 02-15-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 11:27 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
Excellent link--I don't think people realize how many ways there are to steal someone's identity.

In my previous job I dealt with identity theft on a daily basis, mostly explaining that it's up to the victim to do all the work to resolve it--getting police reports, contacting whoever is billing them, doing all the footwork and spending all the hours all this takes. While there's federal laws in place about it, a lot of companies (read: collection agencies) totally ignore the laws and hound the victim until they pay just to make it all stop.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
It's the biggest crime in our city, with the thieves targeting by zip code to maximize their take based on incomes. I have had to change debit cards twice in the last year due to being hacked, though both times it was caught by the bank or the vendor due to the suspicious circumstances.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM

22 posts, read 27,243 times
I recently found out that family members have been using my name to sell and purchase property using my name without my knowledge for years (10 plus!!!) and apparently in some cases using a "frumpled" version of my name to do it!
What legal recourse if any should or can I take?
I would just talk to them but recently after a close relatives death who was also in on this ...activity, it seem they are indifferent to anything other than losing money. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
(im a lil new and was actually trying to post this as a thread, apologies)

Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
It sounds like you're going to need an attorney. When you tell him/her what has been going on, have some proof. Go to the local courthouse where this property was bought and sold, and get copies of transactions. They should be public record. You may even be able to get them online, albeit for a small fee. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictheshy2013 View Post
I recently found out that family members have been using my name to sell and purchase property using my name without my knowledge for years (10 plus!!!) and apparently in some cases using a "frumpled" version of my name to do it!
What legal recourse if any should or can I take?
I would just talk to them but recently after a close relatives death who was also in on this ...activity, it seem they are indifferent to anything other than losing money. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
(im a lil new and was actually trying to post this as a thread, apologies)
Before you take legal action against them, you need to create a paper trail - filing complaints against them with the FTC and with the police. Ordering your credit reports from the CRA's - Experian, TransUnion, Equifax and Innovis. Send the CRA's letters, listing out all of the fraudulent accounts that are being reported, telling them that those accounts are fraudulent accounts due to ID theft, include copies of your ID theft reports that you'd made to the FTC and to the police, and, also request that fraud alerts be placed on your credit reports. Send letters to the businesses, that the family members used to gain credit in your name, and inform them that those accounts were opened fraudulently.

How to handle it is listed on the FTC website, along with sample letters to use in dealing with the matter ..
Identity Theft | Consumer Information

If you have damages, then you might consider legal action against them. If no real damages then let the police and the feds deal with them.

(ID theft isn't funny, but, it would be funny if some of the property is paid off, and they hadn't yet changed the names on the deeds, or the properties are almost paid off, where the equity far exceeds the loan amount - and, since they are in your name - you seize the properties from them, sell the properties and pocket the profits .. that'll teach em, lmao)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics