U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,680 times

Advertisements

So, I came across this ranking of the best paid jobs in the US

The best paid jobs in the US - Market Business News

It says that doctors earn more than CEOS.. which can't be right, considering some chief executives I know receive bonuses or stock options worth more than 10x my salary...

Opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,671,499 times
Doctors as a whole earn more than CEO's as a whole. However a very small percentage of CEO's make an extraordinary amount of money. There are only a handful of CEO's that make millions upon millions. Most small business CEO's make in the range of 100k if that. A lot of articles out there on average CEO salary are heavily biased towards pissing you off as the reader, so be careful looking at these articles as research. There are however almost a million doctors in the US, the majority of whom make plenty of money.

Also consider that the article is probably only counting Salary alone as earnings, not perks.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:25 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,550,415 times
Do doctors get salaries? Many are self-employed, owning their own practice, at least in partnership. Does this count those, also?

It seems unequal to include people who mostly own their own business in a comparison of how much people are "paid".

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.marketbusinessnews.com/be...n-the-us/11450

Last edited by jtur88; 02-06-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM

13,724 posts, read 16,782,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do doctors get salaries? Many are self-employed, owning their own practice, at least in partnership. Does this count those, also?

It seems unequal to include people who mostly own their own business in a comparison of how much people are "paid".
Doctors USED to be self employed, but the trend now is for them to be employed by hospitals. That kind of started in the 80s but it's very widespread now.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:26 PM

I wonder if dentistry will slowly shift in that direction too.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM

25,304 posts, read 17,498,810 times
What about hedge fund manager?...didn't see that one on the list.

Also probably true about CEOS...there are over 15,000 public companies..and of course small private companies have CEOs too.

Of course the news focuses on the Fortune 500 CEOs...instead of most CEOS..I just read that CEO pay is $7,000 an hour

I don't think that could include all the small businesses in America.

There are 23,000,000 Small businesses in America!

Small Business Trends | SBA.gov

Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 PM

16,330 posts, read 18,278,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Alexander-FL View Post
So, I came across this ranking of the best paid jobs in the US

The best paid jobs in the US - Market Business News

It says that doctors earn more than CEOS.. which can't be right, considering some chief executives I know receive bonuses or stock options worth more than 10x my salary...

Opinions?
Probably on average.

There's a lot of small companies with CEOs. For example, nonprofits have low compensation. Just north of $100k a year. Most doctors make that.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Probably on average.

There's a lot of small companies with CEOs. For example, nonprofits have low compensation. Just north of $100k a year. Most doctors make that.
True. You know, I'd like to see if there's a correlation between GDP growth and CEO pay.. and compare it to how a doctor's salary increases per a boost in the economy...

Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM

11,952 posts, read 5,068,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Alexander-FL View Post
True. You know, I'd like to see if there's a correlation between GDP growth and CEO pay.. and compare it to how a doctor's salary increases per a boost in the economy...
Other than docs who do mostly elective stuff, earnings typically are not very dependent on the state of the general economy. Especially since so much is fixed fees these days. Cosmetic surgeons are very boom or bust depending on the economy. Although I would say for me in primary care, this past recession was the first time I was down somewhat. For most recessions although we have tended to see more on public plans, we stayed very busy and had seen little impact.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,152,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There are 23,000,000 Small businesses in America!
If this were true, that would mean that there would be 1 small business for every 13.5 people counted among the entire population of the United States [23,000,000 / 310,000,000]. Does that sound even remotely correct to you?

What that 23 million number actually represents is anyone who reported at least $1000 in business receipts, a very large majority of whom are non-employer firms. This includes freelance work, hobby businesses [any vendor at those craft fairs on the town square, for instance], and other types of work that is after-hours or off-the-clock from primary employment.

In reality, the number of businesses with at least 500 employees is closer to 17,000, which is very ballpark as that number was based on 2002 Census data. I doubt that that number increased 1000-fold in 12 years.

As for the original topic, its not that far-fetched that doctors, on average, make more than CEOs, on average. The exorbitant CEO pay which stokes so much outrage on one side, and, oddly, justification on the other, is the outlier, and not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics