Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times

Advertisements

Bottom line is people are living longer and saving less. Things are going to get real bad. Now throw in all the people in prison who can't get hired when they get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if folks really wanted to save they would find a way. since they don't they just find an excuse.
I agree with this.

Look, not everyone will be convinced, however my gut tells me, for most people there is a lot of room to improve one's financial situation that for one reason or other (ie laziness/ignorance/etc) don't do it. You see so many forums where people look for help and you get zillions of responses with really good ideas..

If I was in that situation, I'd give myself up and ask for help...

Old 02-12-2014, 07:39 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if folks really wanted to save they would find a way. since they don't they just find an excuse.
Well, there are a lot of good ideas floating around on the personal finance forum.

I admit I learned some stuff over there.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I'm one of Emigration's blue coasters who saw TN as a lower COL state. We retired first, sold our home, and then moved to the lower COL state. I've never been happier. Our retirement savings and pensions go a lot farther here. We started doing the math about 10 years ago and realized that we could have a better retirement lifestyle in a state where things weren't ridiculously overpriced and taxed to the max. I think we started imagining our retired selves about 15 years ago and thinking about the lifestyle we wanted. Then we sought out the kind of place that we could swing that on what we were going to be bringing in. Turned out that we found a place that's not only cheap, but beautiful and welcoming too.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 AM

CD has great ideas on Personal finance I agree...just got to sift through the responses...

Also, pinterest is very simple...all you have to do is goto the home page and type in 'budgeting' in the search bar, and you'll get a million links on the page w/simple ways of cutting spending that aren't too difficult...

one that comes to mind for me is "clean out your pantry"...how many canned items and stuff do we have in our pantrys that never get used? (and subsequently have to throw out because of the expiriation date)

you kill two birds w/one stone..you get more organized and you save money by using what you bought....

Old 02-12-2014, 04:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Its a silly article. Look at the obvious. People don't plan ahead. They are subject to their desires to get what they want NOW. That's why they go in debt. I'll pay the bill later. If you look at human behavior, a lot of it is more like an animal driven by its instincts, not a person who takes the knowledge they have and put it to use. This helps explain why folks get grotesquely obese, over their heads in debt, and get addicted to drugs etc.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:29 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
They cant save b/c most of us live pay check to pay check OK OP a kid if he or she didn't know this.

Bills don't pay themselves and they keep on coming/ increasing lol

Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Not only can't people see themselves in retirement, they can't see themselves if disaster strikes before retirement. Saving for retirement also doubles as a disaster fund. People who live credit card payment to credit card payment don't seem to think about what would happen if the paycheck isn't there anymore.
If you have been saving and lose your job or become disabled, a substantial amount saved for retirement can double as a relief fund that can keep your head above water and allow you to weather the unexpected tough times. It may keep you in your home instead of being kicked out and moving into dumpy subsidized housing or losing your car and other possessions.
The savings can make the tough times a whole lot less unpleasant.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:14 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm one of Emigration's blue coasters who saw TN as a lower COL state. We retired first, sold our home, and then moved to the lower COL state. I've never been happier. Our retirement savings and pensions go a lot farther here. We started doing the math about 10 years ago and realized that we could have a better retirement lifestyle in a state where things weren't ridiculously overpriced and taxed to the max. I think we started imagining our retired selves about 15 years ago and thinking about the lifestyle we wanted. Then we sought out the kind of place that we could swing that on what we were going to be bringing in. Turned out that we found a place that's not only cheap, but beautiful and welcoming too.
Your opinion is because you came from a healthy blue area where you had a PENSION (!) and fat retirement savings. I don't disagree that you can live well in TN due to the low taxes and low COL, especially if you are coming from a high wage blue sate. The same is NOT true for normal TN natives trying to scratch and claw their way to viability on $10-$12/hr, the normal wages of the locals serving you.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM

The way the world works today is you have to from when your young, either get a good education and keep furthering yourself, or learn a very good trade....Even if you are older, you can still better yourself....its not easy and will take you out of your 'comfort zone', but its doable if one applies themselves...

I'm guessing the point of all this is no longer today can you work hard 'and have a good job waiting for you' for life....you can't rely on a company staying in your small town for years...

Those days are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics