Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It's true that it isn't common; however, virtually everyone has something uncommon happen to them at some point in their lives. The anti-entitlement, anti-minimum-wage crowd seems to forget this.

But I agree with mysticaltyger that people shouldn't have kids out of wedlock.
See, it's not a matter of whether they should or shouldn't have kids out of wedlock. We don't get to decide that for them. That's authoritarian thinking all too typical in left wing politics. They can be advised to not have kids that way and be informed of the consequences.

They should not ask for subsidies just because they had kids out of wedlock, except unique situations. That's where the "should" goes. If someone doesn't plan to rely on public subsidies, why do we tell them that they "should not". It's their body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Some events do, some don't.
No event does.

Unless I caused it, I am not responsible for what happens to someone else - and I am certainly not responsible for their failure to prepare!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
No event does.

Unless I caused it, I am not responsible for what happens to someone else - and I am certainly not responsible for their failure to prepare!
Do you seriously think that these ones would understand your point?

In the lefts view, you are responsible for everything. Just wait and see how they are gonna treat you.

It's the same old BS. The most beautiful words and the worst monstrous actions.

Americans don't learn from history. We will probably repeat history.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
I support a Minimum Wage, because it puts a bottom floor on the wages that can be charged to individuals for the LOWEST LEVEL of skill sets based on inflation and cost of living adjustments. However, all of the arguments against the Minimum Wage are correct in that a lot of times, it creates a higher unemployment amongst those with the lowest level of skills because some people aren't even worth $7.25 an hour.

I think the Market should set the Minimum Wage, not the Government, and the Minimum Wage should be industry-specific rather than an across the board minimum. The Minimum Wage for fry droppers might be lower than the Minimum Wage for someone working in a Construction Sector or an Office Setting. But I would leave it up to the Market within the industries themselves to set the Minimum Wage. Some positions have NO minimum wage, such as commissioned sales or internships.

A Livable Wage is just a joke, what does that even mean? Whether or not you can LIVE off of the wage you earn depends upon:

- Your skills which determine what your wage is in the first place
- Your expenses, such as if you live in a higher cost of living state
- Your expenses continued, such as if you are a single mother with 6 kids from 6 different losers

It's not up to the Market, Industry nor Government to set a Livable Wage. If you can't live off the wage you are earning right now, either CUT COSTS or INCREASE YOUR WAGE through bringing more skills and productivity to the market....or do both.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I support a Minimum Wage, because it puts a bottom floor on the wages that can be charged to individuals for the LOWEST LEVEL of skill sets based on inflation and cost of living adjustments. However, all of the arguments against the Minimum Wage are correct in that a lot of times, it creates a higher unemployment amongst those with the lowest level of skills because some people aren't even worth $7.25 an hour.

I think the Market should set the Minimum Wage, not the Government, and the Minimum Wage should be industry-specific rather than an across the board minimum. The Minimum Wage for fry droppers might be lower than the Minimum Wage for someone working in a Construction Sector or an Office Setting. But I would leave it up to the Market within the industries themselves to set the Minimum Wage. Some positions have NO minimum wage, such as commissioned sales or internships.

A Livable Wage is just a joke, what does that even mean? Whether or not you can LIVE off of the wage you earn depends upon:

- Your skills which determine what your wage is in the first place
- Your expenses, such as if you live in a higher cost of living state
- Your expenses continued, such as if you are a single mother with 6 kids from 6 different losers

It's not up to the Market, Industry nor Government to set a Livable Wage. If you can't live off the wage you are earning right now, either CUT COSTS or INCREASE YOUR WAGE through bringing more skills and productivity to the market....or do both.
The market does have a bottom wage, not a minimum wage. That varies a lot.

I agree that the livable wage is a joke, an enormously ignorant one. It's a flexible corruption filler that means what you want it to mean. It's what you make of it. Therefore, it can be used to reward people you like, punish people you don't like. Basically, it uses tax payers money for left wing political build up. You all have to contribute to the left. All of you.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,136,915 times
The only differences between "left" and "right" at this point are trivialities and methodology. The endgame is the same.
  • Both support undeclared, unfunded war in the name of spreading peace through force (lol?) and both have armed and trained our future enemies -- both at a profit.
  • Both support the debasement of our now bogus currency.
  • Both support the upward redistribution of wealth and subsequent two-class engineering.
  • Both support the manipulation, obfuscation, and exacerbation of social causes.
  • Etc., ad infinitum.
The two biggest fears that contemporary big business and big government have are that the citizen masses will become both sufficiently educated and united so as to see through this ruse. How ironic, given the name of our United States of America. Even worse is that their collective efforts to stifle such efforts seem to be working with unbridled success.

In case anyone missed the point: Two 'teams' in cahoots, and with total financial and legislative control, each purport to ally with one of two illusory lifestyle paradigms and then simply "grab the popcorn" while ensuring their own well-being. Meanwhile the average mouth-breather is worried about what's going on in your bedroom or womb (right); or the size of your soft-drink and how many firearms you legally own and respect (left).

Very telling.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
The only differences between "left" and "right" at this point are trivialities and methodology. The endgame is the same.
  • Both support undeclared, unfunded war in the name of spreading peace through force (lol?) and both have armed and trained our future enemies -- both at a profit.
  • Both support the debasement of our now bogus currency.
  • Both support the upward redistribution of wealth and subsequent two-class engineering.
  • Both support the manipulation, obfuscation, and exacerbation of social causes.
  • Etc., ad infinitum.
The two biggest fears that contemporary big business and big government have are that the citizen masses will become both sufficiently educated and united so as to see through this ruse. How ironic, given the name of our United States of America. Even worse is that their collective efforts to stifle such efforts seem to be working with unbridled success.

In case anyone missed the point: Two 'teams' in cahoots, and with total financial and legislative control, each purport to ally with one of two illusory lifestyle paradigms and then simply "grab the popcorn" while ensuring their own well-being. Meanwhile the average mouth-breather is worried about what's going on in your bedroom or womb (right); or the size of your soft-drink and how many firearms you legally own and respect (left).

Very telling.
Shhhhhh... Don't talk like that. The lefties here think that saying both parties are similar is a right wing lie. What you said would hurt their precious hearts. Their Democratic Party is so wonderful in their eyes. It screws them to no end. It is no threat to rich people. It also supports more immigration which is good. Most of these posters aren't rich. They are the liberal middle class people who have been lied to. The fashionable lefty ideas just can't be wrong.

If a person is smart they should focus on advancing themselves and their family in this country. Regardless of whatever you listed that is always the effective way of life.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Shhhhhh... Don't talk like that. The lefties here think that saying both parties are similar is a right wing lie. What you said would hurt their precious hearts. Their Democratic Party is so wonderful in their eyes. It screws them to no end. It is no threat to rich people. It also supports more immigration which is good. Most of these posters aren't rich. They are the liberal middle class people who have been lied to. The fashionable lefty ideas just can't be wrong.

If a person is smart they should focus on advancing themselves and their family in this country. Regardless of whatever you listed that is always the effective way of life.
And the "righties" think that saying both parties are similar is a left wing lie. Basically, retarded people abound on both sides. It's readily apparent to anyone who still has even the slightest ability to think for themselves irregardless of whatever lefty/righty biases they may have.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
And the "righties" think that saying both parties are similar is a left wing lie. Basically, retarded people abound on both sides. It's readily apparent to anyone who still has even the slightest ability to think for themselves irregardless of whatever lefty/righty biases they may have.
That's why I said a smart person should advance themselves. Be smart about it. We will never have the lefty utopian non sense implemented here. The democrats won't do it. We will also unlikely to lean too much toward the tea party. We will just be a globalized economy of a large workforce and competition.

There are jobs. Great well paid jobs. They are for those who are prepared, hardworking, and smart about building a life.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our in-laws recently rented a 2bdrm house for $450/month. It is not in a bad neighborhood.

Before I retired, we used to own an assortment of apartment complexes, we have recently been shopping around to possibly purchase another and get back into it. Around here $600/month is pretty average for a nice apartment.
I could live with that. I live in a pretty nice, but small, 1 BR apt. for the past five and half years and only pay $300 but I rent my mom's guest house so it's convenient.

My parents owned an apt. complex for about 30 years. They charged different prices for different sizes and number of people but none were over $400 mo.. My mom sold the complex ten years ago when my dad passed away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics