Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 AM

893 posts, read 886,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So. I guess you'll be moving to Australia soon, yes? Some information that you may find useful:

Columbus, OH Melbourne Difference Rent Per Month Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed]
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 798.18 $ 1,508.32 $ +88.97 % Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 667.80 $ 1,213.90 $ +81.78 % Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 1,420.00 $ 2,762.75 $ +94.56 % Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 1,088.89 $ 1,778.37 $ +63.32 %
In other words, if you are alone you can expect to pay $1508/month for that same apartment that will cost you $798/month in Columbus, OH.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
G'LUCK, MATE!

This is a perfect example of the reality of raising the minimum wage. These same uninformed, utopian dreamers that touted Obamacare as a great thing (which has now been proven a disaster as predicted) can't see reality.

Raising the minimum wage to some ridiculous level will simply increase the costs of most everything. Thus keeping the same poor and middle class people in the poor and middle class.

Sure, it might not have this immediate impact in every single area but it WILL happen in short order. Yet the minions will be beating their chests proudly if a huge jump in the MW goes through as the pockets are temporarily filled. Giving them a false impression.

Then, when inflation skyrockets (it will) they will once again blame the "rich" for putting the poor and middle class back in the same spot they were before (except with a higher wage).

The rest of us will be standing here saying "SEE, WE TOLD YOU SO." Just like we are doing with Obamacare.

Freaking sheep

Last edited by Yac; 02-26-2014 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,849,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
well, that would simply be YOUR opinion. Of course, you have nothing to back that up either.

Setting a minimum wage in today's world simply keeps the bar low. If the market is allowed to determine the wage it will promote competition not simply give every menial job a false baseline of a low wage.

As has been the case for decades upon decades your party's policies, while well meaning, do NOT WORK[
Um, I'm getting the impression that both of you guys are supporters of the same party and the same policies; one of you simply has better knowledge of history than does the other.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger;33583741[B
]If you make $11 an hour, you're not supposed to have your own apartment. [/b]People having their own apartments like we expect today is extremely rare throughout the course of human history. Even in other developed countries, people don't have so much housing square footage as Americans do.

When I made more than $12 an hour more than 15 years ago, I rented a room in a house. That's what I could afford. I kept doing that for 8.5 more years until I had paid off my debts and had 100k saved in various accounts (retirement plan, savings account, savings bonds, etc.). THEN I went out and got my own apartment (and it was a studio, not a 1BR). At that point, I was making a good bit more than $12 an hour.

While I certainly agree $11 is not a lot of money, your definition of "the basics" is inflated.

In that case, "unrelated occupancy" restrictions (common in zoning regulations) are morally wrong.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One could argue the point if one believes that an entry level min wage job is now a "career" on which to raise a family.

Today it is certainly a "career" for many workers. Ever read "Nickel and Dimed"?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Cell phone and internet are not basic necessities. Car payment and gas are also not necessities; lots of people live in towns with decent public transportation.

Funny what people deem "necessities".

Cell phone is a basic necessity for those who do not have a landline. I live in a house with several other people and nobody wants a landline in the house because nobody wants to be answering the phone all day and taking a message 80 percent of the time the phone rings.

Internet very well might be a necessity for anyone with constraints (e.g. limited skills or money) in finding jobs or housing - Craigslist is by far the best resource for finding jobs or housing, and the best jobs and the best housing opportunites come and go very quickly, so having daily internet access at the library just isn't going to cut it when listings are posted and deleted within a couple hours.

In many areas - even urban areas with public transportation - a car is a necessity; I once worked as an intermittent temp at a mailing house, until repeated public transportation cuts eliminated the bus line that enabled me to get to the workplace.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Anyone past the age of 21 should have enough skills to find a better paying job than just MW.
Leave and go work the oil fields of North Dakota or Texas.

Stay in school, don't do drugs, get some skills and you will find a job to make a living.
You just may need to move out of places like Detroit to do it.

MW jobs are for students and people just starting in the workforce. (and maybe retirees)

??? Where would one get some skills?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Proposed solution:

Calculate the market value of labor in the absence of illegal immigration; call it X.

Calculate the market value of labor under current levels of illegal immigration; call it Y.

Calculate X - Y = Z and have Congress pass legislation appropriating Z dollars for compensation to workers harmed by illegal immigration.

Otherwise what do you say to low-wage workers?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A better way of helping truly poor people is to expand the Earned Income Tax Credit. This is basically a transfer from the government for low wage earners. That way, it helps out the truly poor. Just raising the minimum wage often ends up subsidizing a fair number of middle class earners who are just working for a 2nd, supplemental income.

I'm not a big fan of government transfer programs, but I'd rather help people out who are working rather than giving them money just for having kids out of wedlock.

Basically a way of helping baby mamas and married baby daddies - it does practically squat for childless adults.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
well, that would simply be YOUR opinion. Of course, you have nothing to back that up either.

Setting a minimum wage in today's world simply keeps the bar low. If the market is allowed to determine the wage it will promote competition not simply give every menial job a false baseline of a low wage.

As has been the case for decades upon decades your party's policies, while well meaning, do NOT WORK

In that case the market should be allowed to determine the supply and the quality of housing for low-wage workers. Sadly, most conservatives and most Republicans do not want a free market in housing in their community.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,849,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Today it is certainly a "career" for many workers. Ever read "Nickel and Dimed"?

Exactly!

People can go on until they're blue in the face saying things like: "no one over the age of 21 should be in a mw job;" "mw jobs are only for people with few to no skills," etc.

The facts are, however, that:

A) there are lots of people over the age of 21 in minimum wage jobs. I'm not saying this a good thing or a desirable thing, or that everyone in a country like the US shouldn't do their utmost to avoid having to be stuck in mw jobs. But thinking those things doesn't change reality. There are many socioeconomic reasons why some people get stuck in the MW rut, including low literacy and english-language skills.

Besides, in the few times per year that I take my kids to a fast-food establishment, I want to know that the place is not being run by a bunch of immature, hormone-raging kids under the age of 21. Proper handling and preparation of food is a serious business, and is should be treated as such. Improper food handling can result in many people becoming seriously ill. Most kids under the age of 21 are not going to take that possibility seriously.

Therefore, I want to see at least a couple of full-grown adults around to ensure proper food prep and handling, the demand for high standards of personal hygiene and operational cleanliness, quality customer service, responsible management, etc.

B) People working in mw jobs do have skills, but it's a sad fact that these skills are overlooked or - in a mw environment - are undervalued. Whether it be at a fast-food place, a Walmart or Target store, or a retail business, the skills required to operate a business, deal effectively with public all day long, etc, are NOT worthless skills.

I'm a professional with a master's degree, and my husband is a highly-paid professional currently working on his third master's degree, so I think it's safe to say that we believe strongly in the value of education. But we both have always felt this kind of attitude toward mw workers to be snobbish, dismissive and counter-intuitive. And when one considers that this attitude ("mw wage jobs are only for stupid, unskilled schlepps that no one care about") are often held by people who aren't particularly well-educated themselves, it's quite amusing.

Long story short, there are people in mw jobs who have valuable skills and roles, and they should be paid accordingly.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 02-23-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics