Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
So as long as it meets your media's indoctrination it is fine, and you oppose the same. That's fine you have your opinion, and others have theirs that might differ. I personally respect both.
Go away adults are talking here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
47% of Americans pay no income taxes (poor, retirees, etc)
These 25 companies pay no income taxes but they do pay employer taxes for all of their workers....What does that amount to?......BILLIONS of dollars. They also pay their employees who have federal taxes deducted from their checks.....once again BILLIONS of dollars. Then the investors that have gains on these companies stocks.....BILLIONS once again.

Safe to say these 25 companies are contributing far more than the 47% of Americans that pay nothing!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Go away adults are talking here
Should I apologize for objectivity? Being capable of understanding both sides of an argument doesn't make one any less of an adult than you, but it does prove the closed minded ideals of some.

Personally, I don't think taxpayers should subsidize some of the most profitable corporations in the world. I actually find it an asinine ideal to somehow think giving my hard earned dollar to pay a CEO an overinflated salary creates stabilization, but rather it creates a greater imbalance. Hey, but whatever floats your boat?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
47% of Americans pay no income taxes (poor, retirees, etc)
These 25 companies pay no income taxes but they do pay employer taxes for all of their workers....What does that amount to?......BILLIONS of dollars. They also pay their employees who have federal taxes deducted from their checks.....once again BILLIONS of dollars. Then the investors that have gains on these companies stocks.....BILLIONS once again.

Safe to say these 25 companies are contributing far more than the 47% of Americans that pay nothing!
Whoa, what about the employee's that pay payroll taxes, but don't make enough to pay income taxes? People can be part of this 47% you suggest and pay their 7.2%. BTW, retirees do pay taxes, because I send a check every quarter. What's really unfair about these poor corporations who get your blind support is that they burden others too pay their share.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Whoa, what about the employee's that pay payroll taxes, but don't make enough to pay income taxes? People can be part of this 47% you suggest and pay their 7.2%. BTW, retirees do pay taxes, because I send a check every quarter. What's really unfair about these poor corporations who get your blind support is that they burden others too pay their share.
Agreed. I get so tired of that nonsense about "nearly half of Americans pay no taxes / no federal taxes" They still pay medicare, social security, etc. They still pay state taxes. They still pay sales tax... heck, people even pay taxes on social security and unemployment benefits. In most cases, if the poor actually were paid well enough at their jobs, they'd gladly pay more in taxes. Few people are going to choose to be poor to reduce their tax burden... but the good paying jobs are gone, so there you go.

As for the companies in question, I really don't care if they pay taxes or not since that doesn't tell the whole story. Did they cheat their way out of taxes using financial games, or did they take an honest write-off? Do they try to provide jobs for Americans, or do they ship jobs out of this nation as fast as possible? Don't get me wrong - this nation is full of corrupt companies that steal from the taxpayer (Bailouts, Fed buying up mortgage trash every month, etc.) while providing little of value, but I'm not sure that looking at a company's tax payments really proves much of anything. I'd be fine with plenty of companies pay far less in taxes if it also was tied to them providing far more in well-paying American jobs since the lack of that is what's killing this nation, IMHO.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM

10,757 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Without the details as to WHY these companies paid no fed tax during the time in question, the report is worthless. It does nothing but fan the flames of wealth hate that is so common today.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Agreed. I get so tired of that nonsense about "nearly half of Americans pay no taxes / no federal taxes" They still pay medicare, social security, etc. They still pay state taxes. They still pay sales tax... heck, people even pay taxes on social security and unemployment benefits. In most cases, if the poor actually were paid well enough at their jobs, they'd gladly pay more in taxes. Few people are going to choose to be poor to reduce their tax burden... but the good paying jobs are gone, so there you go.
Quote:
Title of thread is "pays no federal income tax" which makes both of your replies irrelevant.....

Old 03-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Without the details as to WHY these companies paid no fed tax during the time in question, the report is worthless. It does nothing but fan the flames of wealth hate that is so common today.
Bingo!......

Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
So, can we stop title 9 scholarships (free college education at taxpayer expense), and farm, and oil subsides too? Or only specific items media has used to gain your attention? If change is to be made it should be across the board and level the playing field. A $7500 tax credit for an electric vehicle isn't much different than giving Exxon millions now is it?
Exxon pays about 42% effective tax rate

The oil and gas industry is one of the highest taxed industries.

Get your facts straight please!

Which Companies Pay The Most In Taxes? - Forbes

Old 03-02-2014, 02:12 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Few people are going to choose to be poor to reduce their tax burden... but the good paying jobs are gone, so there you go.
This study disagrees with your statement

White House: It's A Good Thing That Obamacare Will Drive 2.5 Million Americans Out Of The Workforce - Forbes

Welfare, food stamps and Obamacare certainly remove the incentive to work. This is resulting in 2.5 Million people leaving the work force. They are exchanging zero income for free government benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics