Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Marco Polo, you sure gave some extreme polar opposite vocational examples there.

Let's say for argument's sake that holding signs on a street corner does not constitute working. Cuz really it doesn't.

Truth be told, there are skilled trades that pay much less than other skilled trades.

You mentioned doctors. Doctors earn so much because they're backed and supported by corrupt pharma and gov't-supported Monsanto which keep citizens ill and dependent on "health"care. Angioplasties, anyone? And medical school costs so damn much, so doctors are implicitly deemed entitled to higher pay in part to pay off their costly educations.
So people don't get ill on their own, the only thing making people sick is pharma and Monsanto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Except for the coins we use, all money is loaned into existence.
The Fed can create money de novo as in QE. They raise the member banks account by the amount of the debt swap.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
See? Then how could there ever be a shortage of money? Why are lowlier people deemed less worthy than others to earn as much imaginary money?

Even in other forums today I read people judging how much pay certain jobs are worth. If money is a nebulous, manmade point system with no inherent value, what gets us thinking this way? Why is the work that some humans do deemed more valuable than that of others?
Read up on monetary sovereignty.

–Monetary Sovereignty: The key to understanding economics «#Monetary Sovereignty - Mitchell #Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell

The reason most people don't have a full picture of our modern fiat is that they are still on a gold std. mindset. You and I, businesses, state anc local gov'ts and non-monetarily sovereign entities like the EU act more like on the gold std, and are all more limited in money creation. They thus have a harder time fighting recessions and wars.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The value of anything (even our currency) is determined by the market.

Print too much currency will impact even reduce its value.

Too many people of a type of skill or work experience will also reduce their work value.
It is always more than simply printing money. It then has to be issued and then allocated say by Congress. If it stays in bank accounts accumulating simple interest like QE, or all placed under mattresses it will have little impact on the value.

50 Factors that Affect the Value of the US Dollar – Currency Trading.net

Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Who here believes Nixon's decision to remove us from the gold standard was a good move for this country? Why?
There is not enough gold.
The USA doesn't have much control over gold, it's price and production.
Gold is not inherently more stable over time.
Having a fixed currency removes a bunch of policy moves that might be needed in times of physical or economic stress. Wars, depressions, and as in assisting two states at the same time with their different climatic calamities as a few years back.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
Money itself comes from the mint, which is part of our Treasury. Creation of money is generally from debt. The greatest source of money creation is the Federal Reserve, which is a part of the government that denies it is part of the government and spits out about 65 billion in new money every month of late. Nixon took us off the gold standard in the early 70's due to France's constant demand that our gold back dollars be converted to gold. Nixon had an audit done at Fort Knox, and a week later took us off the gold standard. To this day I wonder if the cupboard was bare.
It matters none. We fought WW2 along while supporting our Allies and our own economy and needed no gold. Except for maybe a bit for its use in building war materiel.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
No wonder France hates USA. If I was France I'd hate USA too. I spent some time in France and absolutely felt heavenly at home. I think I do resent the USA but it's where I was born so I've adapted.

End of tangent.
Maybe so. But France was always there when they needed us!!

<LOL>

Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM

392 posts, read 352,025 times
Fiat currency is money be decree. In other words it is like a religion or any other belief system. One set of people declare themselves rich and in charge and YOU the poor one must believe that they are your masters and are superior to you. YOU must BELIEVE...they have power though money. I knew a guy who controlled a few billion dollars...and one day I said to him..."You really don't have any real money do you?" He did not disagree. He liked talking to me because I did not kiss his butt because of his so called wealth. At present gold is being hoarded world wide...What they do not realize is that if gold is not being used...even it in time when not circulation becomes worthless....Currency has to be current and like a river it has to flow. The problem today is not the lack of money but the hoarding of it.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is not enough gold.
The USA doesn't have much control over gold, it's price and production.
Gold is not inherently more stable over time.
Having a fixed currency removes a bunch of policy moves that might be needed in times of physical or economic stress. Wars, depressions, and as in assisting two states at the same time with their different climatic calamities as a few years back.
So Nixon fixed that:

"Whoa, we don't have enough money so let's just imagine some up. There, that's more like it!"

If it's that easy, why are there still those who Have and those who Have Not?

If we can imagine up money, there needn't be any poor people.

I guess that's what disability, unemployment, welfare, and WIC are. Money materializes from out of nowhere to support those who pull the right governmental strings.

America, what a place!! (That's not sarcasm. I'm truly in awe.)

Old 03-04-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So Nixon fixed that:

"Whoa, we don't have enough money so let's just imagine some up. There, that's more like it!"

If it's that easy, why are there still those who Have and those who Have Not?

If we can imagine up money, there needn't be any poor people.

I guess that's what disability, unemployment, welfare, and WIC are. Money materializes from out of nowhere to support those who pull the right governmental strings.

America, what a place!! (That's not sarcasm. I'm truly in awe.)
Very simply look at deficit spending and there's your vapor. And then look where it goes.

If we create too much money and give too many people and businesses and other governmental agencies too much money, we could cause onerous inflation.

Look up chartalism.

Chartalism Definition | Investopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics