Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:31 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Had he made such an assumption...
The assumption is implicit in this sentence: "a set of rules that let's everyone share in the benefits of the automated labor society"

I agree that technological advances and automation are inevitable and society has no choice but to adapt to them. I disagree that human nature will ever allow us to get past the dog eat dog aspect of society. It may be possible to balance it out, but we ignore it at our peril.

Human nature demands that if everyone is to share, everyone must also put in an effort proportional to their share. In practice, how that effort is judged varies far to much for any "set of rules" to actually function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Social security is the most successful anti-poverty basic income program for the elderly since its inception....on what basis other than your own irrational biases against the poor and vulnerable would extending it to everyone else not work?

Irony how you dismiss my proposal as "window dressing" and then go about proposing utterly ridiculous "breeding licenses" as the solution. Sorry buddy but I don't think government should be in the eugenics business, we all know how badly that played out in Germany 70 years ago. Go see the massive failure of China's one child policy if you're still not convinced.
but you fail to realize what the program really is and that welfare programs are quite different from SS. It is extended to all that care to contribute .remember its a stand alone program not general revenue program. For decades it provide cheap money to politician to spent on other things. As a private program it would be illegal and people running it would be put in jail just as Madoff was.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
The flaw in this reasoning is the assumption that an automated labor society requires no effort from anyone. If you assume that no effort is required, then you logically conclude that all benefits can be shared equally.

But it does require effort to build and maintain a society of automated labor - the effort is just not the same as that required by a manual labor society.

Those who make the effort will always feel entitled to a greater reward than those who do not. Those who make the effort will always view with suspicion the suggestion of sharing the benefits of their effort out of fairness. They do not see it as logical and they do not see it as fair. Logical and fair to them is "if you want the benefits you make the effort".
I'm okay with giving them a bigger share.

I'm ready to become a welfare queen, (or king as the case may be) if I only knew where to sign up.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:06 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm okay with giving them a bigger share.

I'm ready to become a welfare queen, (or king as the case may be) if I only knew where to sign up.
It's like anything in life .................it's all about "networking" if you were part of the extended social circle they would tell you the insider tips on how to scheme for max gain.

I had to go one of the poorest city in OC recently and guess what................I saw the shiniest new cars and trucks driving by social services and the food bank loading up like it's going out of style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics