Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:28 PM

752 posts, read 1,494,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian5327 View Post
Paul Fussell is an alias. The book was also meant to be very tongue-in-cheek though it has some truisms within. New Money is UMC. Fussell notes that UMC members treat life like a game. The whole range of the middle class strives and it's not a problem to talk about money. Above this level it is vulgar to talk about money while the status quo is maintained. Also, the living room scale is quite amusing. I happen to love aquariums and I like to go bowling whenever the opportunity presents itself. Then again, theoretically I can wear polyester, eat my steaks well done, respect labor and live in a cookie cutter rambler with a workshop and do everything that a lower class person does yet the very fact that I am a 4th generation mediocre lawyer makes me middle class. Really, social class is so varied and complex. I like to drink Bordeaux Merlot while I'm eating crusty Last Supper bread with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar as a dip whenever I binge watch on Netflix old episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents in my living room.
Certainly the book is tongue in cheek, no question at all on that one, and I am fairly sure Paul Fussell is not an alias; nonetheless that's the name the book was published and is cataloged under, so it is a moot point here.
However, it does have some pretty accurate depictions in it when describing various attributes of the upper class, old money. (for the rest of the classes, sort of, but its much of an over-generalization, albeit in some jest)

I found it to be funny to some degree, but his frequent mockery of the working class I found boring rather quickly and it really was a less accurate (more over generalization, I thought) depiction of the working class American; the part about most upper class, old money not having TVs at all (or when they do own one its inconspicuous, usually small) is indeed correct, so is the part about late-supper at around eight or nine in the evening (some have a tendency to call lunch dinner still--and dinner supper, which is now considered old fashioned).
The part about drinks being a determiner. (that is, what someone drinks and how)..eh, somewhat...there are certain things which you'll find, again, in the book which seem to be more true for the upper class-old money but not so much for the middle or working class...yes, meant to be something of a joke, yet certain parts of it have a fair amount of truth to it. The old money just do not drink much beer at all---they hate it, in fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
The name "Paul Fussell" most certainly is NOT an alias. Paul was a full professor at the University of Pennsylvania, and wrote a lot of serious academic literature as well as the book on class.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:09 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
This is a weird list. Levels of education, class, elegance and good taste have nothing to do with being rich.
I'm not sure any of these guys would know the difference between Beethoven the composer and Beethoven the dog:
Top 50 Rappers | Celebrity Net Worth

FWIW my family is very far from upper class, yet we appreciate classical music and ballet, enjoy good literature and good wine, know who a sommelier is, eat good healthy food and not junk, enroll kids in piano and dance, and I certainly don't feed my son sugary cereal for breakfast. Our income is solidly average middle class, but there is a whole level of financially struggling academics, artists, and intellectuals who share these traits in spite of not having money at all, and a whole lot of dirt-rich celebs who wouldn't know class if it bit them on their botoxed behinds.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:13 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
^^ It's far more complicated than just a question of money. BTW, Fussell talks about such people in his book, and IIRC calls them class "X" or something like that . . .

Old 11-03-2014, 02:33 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Paul Fussell was indeed a real person. Numerous remarks in this thread (including some of my own) quote or paraphrase Fussell - most notably the term "Prole". It was first coined by George Orwell in his seminal "1984", but Fussell adopted and popularized it as derogatory but piquantly accurate term for the working-classes, who have enough money to be self-supporting without public assistance, but who lack the education or taste to be middle class.

Fussell's specific definitions and attributes of class have become considerably dated, given the rise of technology, the collapse of unions, the transformation of retail-sales by the internet, globalization and so forth. But his key point endures - namely, that class in America is officially a taboo subject (everybody styles themselves as "middle class working families"), and yet it's at least as rigid as in what's recently been called Old Europe.

By Fussel's "living room" criteria, I'm "Top out of sight", because my living room shelves are crammed with books in a foreign language (Russian). That's why I love his book so much!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
22. You mistakenly think that more than .0001% of the population really gives a rat's ***** about the opera and symphony..........you think it is ESSENTIAL!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:24 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times
Quote:
7. UMC if you know your financial advisor's name. Old Money has a personal assistant, usually a Butler, that handles all the details along with handling consultants and advisors.
8. UMC. Trips are taken to places where family has estates and/or land. Old Money tastes tend to be traditional. England means full breakfast and Kensington, Austria means a sizeable donation and patronage of the Vienna Philharmonic, etc.
16. Old Money does not work or if they do work it is not for pay.
19. If wife stays home then below UMC. If wife is a professional then UMC. If wife organizes fundraisers or works for no pay then Old Money. Old Money has several employees that have been with the family for a generation or more. If they stay at estate then Old Money.
Quote:
Old money is frugal because its members have been instilled with the duty of preserving the inheritance for the next generation. Old money clips coupons because everything they do is calculated for the long run(i.e. generational).
OK, this is pretty absurd. If you were so concerned about saving money for the next generation that you were clipping coupons, wouldn't it be a lot more effective to fire your butler, work for pay, cancel your annual exorbitant donation to the Vienna Philharmonic, etc?

Anyway, to answer the question in this thread all you need to do is watch the Gilmore Girls.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
m12. You see nothing unusual about speaking a second or third language fluently (this one applies only to Americans).
Dumbest thing I've ever read

What the hell does being bilingual have to do with being rich?
Most people in Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) are bilingual and that's one of the poorest areas in America

BTW,
I know several rich people that would fit your stereotype of an "average" American
They own pickup trucks, go hunting, own a house in the country, etc.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
What do you think? Is this list accurate in your experience with the upper-class or "rich"?

Note that I have had little direct contact with the wealthy, so my list may be inaccurate.

1. During your high school years, you attended a private college-preparatory academy where it was only natural for graduates to be accepted into Ivy League schools. You may have even attended a boarding school.

2. During that period of your life, there was plenty of competition: not only in sports, but also in who could complete the most AP courses, who could get the most prestigious internship, etc.

3. Charity balls and gala events are second nature to you. If you're a woman, you attend luncheons. You have formal outfits for your children, and you didn't buy them for a funeral or wedding.

4. If you're a "she", you think nothing of spending $20,000 doting your poodle.

5. You are a member of one of the local "society" organizations.

6. You are an "owner" in NetJets or XOJets.

7. You have a personal financial consultant to manage your portfolio, which perhaps includes hedge funds.

8. You see nothing extravagant in a yearly family vacation to Europe. You may have cosmopolitan tastes in food and music.

9. You prefer to shop at places like Nordstrom's, Sak's 5th Avenue, and Lord & Taylor.

10. You have purchased an artwork valued at $5,000 or more, and probably patronize "the arts". You "get" abstract art.

11. You have had a subscription to classical music concerts, and view people who do not recognize Beethoven's 5th Symphony or Pachelbel's Canyon as ignorant.

12. You see nothing unusual about speaking a second or third language fluently (this one applies only to Americans).

13. Even though you are reluctant to state it, you have an intuitive sense of class and elegance.

14. You think of vehicles, houses, and other property as "investments"; however, you are not afraid to splurge a little on an exotic vehicle (e.g. anything from Lamborghini or Ferrari, Audi R8, Mercedes Benz CLK-class, etc.)

15. You have attended cocktail parties or other events where you have conversed familiarly with nationally-known politicians, celebrities, and/or academics.

16. If you're a male, you normally work in a suit and tie.

17. You sit on the board of at least one corporation, charity, or performing arts organization.

18. You pay close attention to what you eat: you buy much of your food at one of the local upscale groceries or specialty shops. You also pay attention to what your children eat, and view feeding them sugary cereal (a la Lucky Charms or Fruity Pebbles) every morning as borderline child abuse.

19. You have a full-time domestic employee, even if your wife stays home.

20. You are liberal in your social views, and may be conservative or somewhat left-leaning fiscally. Unlike the upper middle class below you, tax hikes do not affect your standard of living much; you primarily view fiscal policy from an ideological or investment lens.

BONUS:

21. You don't have the time to make lists like this.
Where did you get this list?

AP classes were mostly for public schools back in the day. Most classes in private schools already are AP, in the sense that they're all challenging and on a similar level to public school AP classes. So there was no competition for AP classes or for sports, particularly. (A lot of private schools are too small to have much of a sports program.) Internships were non-existent at the HS level. Internships are a new thing.

The luncheon thing, etc. is from the 40's and 50's. It's mainly women of an older generation who still do that.

Nobody has poodles.

What is NetJets?

Don't forget Nieman Marcus.

Beethoven's 5th and Pachelbel? Please. Those are for HS kids learning about classical music.

Nobody thinks of vehicles as "investments". Except fools. Do you have any understanding of what constitutes an "investment"? A car is a depreciating asset. An investment isn't.

You'd be surprised. In our generation and younger, a fair number opt out of the cocktail party scene. It's so 50's. They tend to be into really eclectic stuff.

You're wrong about the bonus. Women who stay home have plenty of time to make lists like this.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-04-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 11:15 PM

752 posts, read 1,494,471 times
Quote:
What do you think? Is this list accurate in your experience with the upper-class or "rich"?

Note that I have had little direct contact with the wealthy, so my list may be inaccurate.

1. During your high school years, you attended a private college-preparatory academy where it was only natural for graduates to be accepted into Ivy League schools. You may have even attended a boarding school.

2. During that period of your life, there was plenty of competition: not only in sports, but also in who could complete the most AP courses, who could get the most prestigious internship, etc.

3. Charity balls and gala events are second nature to you. If you're a woman, you attend luncheons. You have formal outfits for your children, and you didn't buy them for a funeral or wedding.

4. If you're a "she", you think nothing of spending $20,000 doting your poodle.

5. You are a member of one of the local "society" organizations.

6. You are an "owner" in NetJets or XOJets.

7. You have a personal financial consultant to manage your portfolio, which perhaps includes hedge funds.

8. You see nothing extravagant in a yearly family vacation to Europe. You may have cosmopolitan tastes in food and music.

9. You prefer to shop at places like Nordstrom's, Sak's 5th Avenue, and Lord & Taylor.

10. You have purchased an artwork valued at $5,000 or more, and probably patronize "the arts". You "get" abstract art.

11. You have had a subscription to classical music concerts, and view people who do not recognize Beethoven's 5th Symphony or Pachelbel's Canyon as ignorant.

12. You see nothing unusual about speaking a second or third language fluently (this one applies only to Americans).

13. Even though you are reluctant to state it, you have an intuitive sense of class and elegance.

14. You think of vehicles, houses, and other property as "investments"; however, you are not afraid to splurge a little on an exotic vehicle (e.g. anything from Lamborghini or Ferrari, Audi R8, Mercedes Benz CLK-class, etc.)

15. You have attended cocktail parties or other events where you have conversed familiarly with nationally-known politicians, celebrities, and/or academics.

16. If you're a male, you normally work in a suit and tie.

17. You sit on the board of at least one corporation, charity, or performing arts organization.

18. You pay close attention to what you eat: you buy much of your food at one of the local upscale groceries or specialty shops. You also pay attention to what your children eat, and view feeding them sugary cereal (a la Lucky Charms or Fruity Pebbles) every morning as borderline child abuse.

19. You have a full-time domestic employee, even if your wife stays home.

20. You are liberal in your social views, and may be conservative or somewhat left-leaning fiscally. Unlike the upper middle class below you, tax hikes do not affect your standard of living much; you primarily view fiscal policy from an ideological or investment lens.

BONUS:

21. You don't have the time to make lists like this.
Regarding common attributes of the wealthy (I am talking about the Upper Class here), a few of these are just not true, generally speaking.
Number 2 is very middle to upper middle class, not upper class so much at all.
Numbers 9, 10, 11 and 12 are very questionable, though most upper class do have at least knowledge of other languages---if old money, that language will often be at least French.

Number 9 is pretty middle to upper middle class---the upper class might shop at those stores sometimes, but its by no means their preferred ones overall.
Number 10 ---Five thousand dollars for artwork, if purchased, would be on the lower end among most wealthy, upper class art collectors.
Number 11, also smacks of middle to upper middle class.
Number 14 is also pretty upper middle class or New Money.
Number 17, smacks of a social climber so at most New Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics