Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:51 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times

Advertisements

I have had the opportunity to observe panhandlers on city street corners primarily on off ramps at busy intersections. Just a rough calculation would show that they make well over minimum wage per hour. Saw one family, father had daughter on one corner, mom had son on other corner, saw several stops in a short period of time.

So why would they work when their "job" pays much more than they would make as a 'burger flipper'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Never mind minimum wage. There was a reporter who interviewed sveral of them in the Seattle area (anonymously) and they claimed to be bringing in an average of $200/day, some days up to $400. All tax free cash. Of course, standing on a freeway exit on a cold day in the rain may seem like more work than flipping burgers or cashiering at Target for some people.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
This is why I never hand out money, just food or water.

The city of Tampa a few years ago made it illegal to pan handle, so the homeless guys started selling soda and water from ice coolers on the corners instead, gave them a purpose. City also made them wear vests in order to sell them. Some started to branch out and sell flowers, was a rather good law I would say.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:31 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
I met bum at a homeless shelter once. He pulled out at least $200. According to him, he pulled in a $100 within a day. Around the holidays, he was pulling in $200 a day. Some people would hand him a $20.

Did he spend his money on food or shelter? His profits were used for a bad drug habit. He didn't need a dime for food. He got plenty of food from the local shelters and food vans. It was the drugs that was eating up all his money.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
So you have enough time to sit on onramps/offramps to calculate 24 hour averages?

Should you be at work?

Old 03-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,523 times
I don't see this as a good career move.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,091 times
Pick your donations wisely as 90% of pan handlers are feeding a drug habit. Offer help in other ways. I was once in a grocery store and silently watched a very old man, homeless come in and gather some food items. He then stood just in front of the cashier area and tried to add up the few food items had picked and count his money. I really felt for this old man and was watching him. He realized he did not have enough money and headed back to the meat department and placed back the package of sliced roast beef he had picked out. I got out of line and went back and gave the man $40. He teared up and thanked me and I could tell it was genuine.

That's how you give people in need help. Or, you buy them food etc. Handing people money at the intersection is usually and unfortunately feeding a drug addiction.

Another time I was going through a drive through, late at night and an old homeless man was on foot trying to purchase a cup of coffee at the drive up window as the inside was closed. It was cold out and he was shaking. The jack in the box told him they are not allowed to serve pedestrians at the drive up window. The man was freezing and explaining nicely he really needed some warm coffee to warm up. I called him over and let him in my car and ordered him an entire meal. He was clearly mentally ill and I got to visit with him. He told me his story about a normal life and how about ten years ago he got hit in the head by hammer. Showed me the plate in his skull and it was real. From then he lost control of his life and ended up homeless living in shelters etc.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Most (all?) of these folks have severe and obvious mental health problems. To suggest, they go get a job is ridiculous. Though I do wonder the same thing about the endless parade of high school kids begging for donations for sports and other extracurriculars.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I had a discussion about this recently with a coworker. I am not surprised at $200+ figures. In L.A , I pretty much always see someone giving money. Not hard to make a good amount per hour , there are thousands and thousands of cars .

I agree most have serious issues, likely drugs alcohol mental issues or a combo of all three.

That's why 'homelessness' is mostly not a money/poverty issue , it's a mental health issue.

These people have likely been written off by any family because of trouble they've gotten in , the family and friends get tired of it and then it's a downward cycle.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I've seen guys with the signs that say "Hungry, please give me some money so I can eat" so I went to Wendy's and bought them a meal. When I pulled up and handed them the bag they looked at me as if to say "I don't want food, I want MONEY !" As bad as I feel for some of these folks I somehow feel the money isn't going for food, but for booze and drugs.

I saw one honest panhandler in Daytona Beach one year, his sign said "I won't lie, I need beer money."

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics