Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Since manufacturing began it's decline many years ago, the economy has switched over to a service one. If we are talking about eliminating Service positions too, what will there be to do?

I suppose we should all get ready for the next American Idol tryouts.
For young men, MMA/UFC lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Major chains and big box stores are closing stores, ...shoppers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Customers complain about not getting help, but they aren't willing to pay higher prices for that help. Thus, Wal Mart exists. In this country, voting happens with Dollars.
It's a paradox. Customers want to try on clothes (especially women as each designer/style fits differently). They want to walk into a clean, replenished, well-stocked store and be met by a greeter. They want someone to walk around and shop with them, walk them over the the fitting room, hang the items back up for them ('cause they just can't seem to do this all by themselves), another person to clear the rejected items out of the FR, another to put those items away - colorized and sized, pick the dumped items off the floor ('cause they throw the items they don't want on the floor or flip them over the rack where they get torn), get to a cash wrap where 6 cashiers are waiting to ring them out, and someone at the door to say goodbye.

And they want to pay $5.00 for the blouse and all that service.

If you want Nordstrom service, you have to pay Nordstrom prices. It will be quite interesting when all these department stores close because they aren't making any money.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Regarding shopping online, it doesn't work well with items that are too big to ship cheaply or with perishable items. I predict we will have furniture stores and supermarkets for years to come!
Until Amazon adds same day food delivery in the not distant future. Part of their willingness to start collecting taxes is simple. They than have nexus, and that means adding DCs have no additional implications. If you don't collect tax, add a DC, you have nexus, and you MUST collect tax.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Until Amazon adds same day food delivery in the not distant future. Part of their willingness to start collecting taxes is simple. They than have nexus, and that means adding DCs have no additional implications. If you don't collect tax, add a DC, you have nexus, and you MUST collect tax.
You mean like this?..https://fresh.amazon.com/

They are only in a few cities now, but will likely expand. It does seem kind of expensive to me ,but I do see people using it in L.A I could imagine it would be nice especially for older or disabled people . Or people that have the money and don't want to deal with the market.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You mean like this?..https://fresh.amazon.com/

They are only in a few cities now, but will likely expand. It does seem kind of expensive to me ,but I do see people using it in L.A I could imagine it would be nice especially for older or disabled people . Or people that have the money and don't want to deal with the market.

PS, IMO that is the sole reason WM and other big boxes waited a long time before urging the government to collect tax on online sales. They realized it was a trap, add online tax, add Amazon DCs in every state, bye bye a huge chunk of big box sales.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
A lot of these fields don't attract Americans. But there won't be shortage as long as immigrants are willing to fill them. I don't think there will be labor shortage in the vast majority of professions. If we can't anyone here, we will just recruit from overseas. We need to be able to find the best and the brightest, especially if Americans go for non profit careers or sit around or work at Starbucks with their PhDs. Businesses can't wait around.
They don't attract Americans because most americans are lazy and would rather make 20k on unemployment than a comfortable living welding.

Just read this article today:

The US is running out of welders - - MSN Money

Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
While I do forsee many of the Skilled Trade positions in the country declining, in turn, I also see having significantly less people to fill them.

Say welding jobs decline by 20% over the next 10 years. I would imagine that finding people to fill them, will drop significantly more, making it still an in-demand position.
Most young people do not consider the trades to be a viable career track. In turn, there may be less competition for available jobs. In some trades, this is already the case. Add to that, most employers are too cheap to train. And the young people they do manage to attract aren't exactly the brightest. That's fine for busy body work. Not so much when you're hunting for the equivalent of a foreman with a diverse background and understanding of the trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
They don't attract Americans because most americans are lazy and would rather make 20k on unemployment than a comfortable living welding.

Just read this article today:

The US is running out of welders - - MSN Money
There aren't nearly as many opportunities for welders as there were in years past. Manufacturing used to employ tons of them. Today, robots are doing much of the production work. Outside of that, the wages aren't that attractive unless you're working out in the field.

The best welders who are not tied down will naturally gravitate towards the higher paying field work. There might be something of a shortage in the future, but the best paying employers shouldn't have a problem attracting talent.

And be realistic... Most of the people collecting unemployment today don't know how to weld. You can't blame them for not taking these welding jobs you're referring to. Even if they attend a training program of some sort, without practical experience, they would be useless in many, possibly most settings. Welding is not something your learn out of a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
A lot of these fields don't attract Americans. But there won't be shortage as long as immigrants are willing to fill them. I don't think there will be labor shortage in the vast majority of professions. If we can't anyone here, we will just recruit from overseas. We need to be able to find the best and the brightest, especially if Americans go for non profit careers or sit around or work at Starbucks with their PhDs. Businesses can't wait around.
We have no shortage of unskilled immigrants biding for unskilled labor jobs. Good luck employing them for high skilled jobs though. They couldn't even afford the tools of the trade on what an employer will pay them. I've seen companies that employ armies of unskilled, low wage immigrants. The skilled jobs were, for the most part, done by Americans though, at a decent pay rate.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
When police fire and teachers are subcontracted the party is over

Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
When police fire and teachers are subcontracted the party is over
I guess you haven't been in a classroom where students are doing self-paced learning on a computer and a teacher is available to answer questions. That teacher can also be responding to students working at home or in another computer lab.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Any business that acts as the middle man between producer/seller and buyer.

To me, the number one profession that's going to have to up their game is real estate agent.

There are smart, hard-working agents. But those are a decided minority. Most are lazy dilettantes who do not earn their 5-7%. A smart buyer moving to a new city can spend two hours on a CD message board and the local MLS listings and find what they need.
Take a look at https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php and you'll see that the #5 top all-time contributor to federal election campaigns is the National Association of Realtors -- which may well be why realtors continue to have various legal protections to keep their 6% commission in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics