U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the US losing its economic dominance?
Yes, But We can get it back 27 49.09%
Yes, and its too late to get it back 17 30.91%
No, were still number 1!!! 10 18.18%
Dunno 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,092,655 times

Advertisements

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071214/ap_on_sc/bali_green_technology;_ylt=AjbqNUyjyPY0wUqTkumerES s0NUE (broken link)

i remember reading somewhere that the World is entering a leveling period, where, do to globailization, the richer countries will stagnate as the jobs move offshore to the poorer countries, until such time that all countries are roughly equal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 AM

http://www.newsweek.com/id/77068/page/1

this is kinda related.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 AM

711 posts, read 1,787,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
i remember reading somewhere that the World is entering a leveling period, where, do to globailization, the richer countries will stagnate as the jobs move offshore to the poorer countries, until such time that all countries are roughly equal.
I won't happen. Most poor countries are poor because their institutions are corrupt: nepotism, bribery, theft, and violence. By and large our institutions are not, which is why so many billions of dollars of foreign investment come here. Don't let the multiculturalists fool you. Our culture is superior, which is why we are successful and they are not.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I won't happen. Most poor countries are poor because their institutions are corrupt: nepotism, bribery, theft, and violence. By and large our institutions are not, which is why so many billions of dollars of foreign investment come here. Don't let the multiculturalists fool you. Our culture is superior, which is why we are successful and they are not.
that sounds kinda elitist...

Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 25,791,661 times
Quote:
Then how can you explain Miami-dade county, where it is just as corrupt and not superior.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 AM

711 posts, read 1,787,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Then how can you explain Miami-dade county, where it is just as corrupt and not superior.
Foreigners bring the corruption with them. How often have you heard "I didn't call the cops because I don't trust them"? I know there are bad cops here, but I think it's plain as day that in the US "bad cop" is an aberration that will be vigorously stamped out if detected, not the norm. If you can't adapt to your new conditions, how do you resolve issues and grievances in your community? You do it the same way you did back where you came from, in an extra-legal fashion. Thus does crime run rampant.

As for political corruption, it's not that our politicians are better but that the voters keep them in check. Miami-dade has essentially been colonized by illegals from Cuba and South America. Their children vote like their parents would have, perpetuating the pathologies of the old country. It wouldn't surprise me if the illegals themselves vote. Plenty of California cities violate the law, deliberately allowing illegals to vote, by refusing to check immmigration status of registered voters.

It's no different, really, than somebody from New Jersey fleeing its oppressive taxes and regulation, coming to Florida, and continuing to vote Democrat. Get enough such "refugees" and Florida will turn into New Jersey.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:00 AM

16,255 posts, read 23,674,123 times
Quote:
Foreigners bring the corruption with them. How often have you heard "I didn't call the cops because I don't trust them"? I know there are bad cops here, but I think it's plain as day that in the US "bad cop" is an aberration that will be vigorously stamped out if detected, not the norm. If you can't adapt to your new conditions, how do you resolve issues and grievances in your community? You do it the same way you did back where you came from, in an extra-legal fashion. Thus does crime run rampant.

As for political corruption, it's not that our politicians are better but that the voters keep them in check. Miami-dade has essentially been colonized by illegals from Cuba and South America. Their children vote like their parents would have, perpetuating the pathologies of the old country. It wouldn't surprise me if the illegals themselves vote. Plenty of California cities violate the law, deliberately allowing illegals to vote, by refusing to check immmigration status of registered voters.

It's no different, really, than somebody from New Jersey fleeing its oppressive taxes and regulation, coming to Florida, and continuing to vote Democrat. Get enough such "refugees" and Florida will turn into New Jersey.
Did you Canada and many Euro nations are LESS corrupt than the United States is? Most of the scandles in those countries involve sex and not bribery, stealing or pilfering the national treasurey.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:07 AM

16,255 posts, read 23,674,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Forget Miami. Look at Chicago. It is one of the MOST corrupt places in the world and has been throughout history. Everybody there has a scam and bribes ("gifts") are a normal way of doing business there even today. You don't want a speeding ticket on Lakeshore Drive- put your license in a plastic holder and slip a 20 in behind it- the cop hands you back the license minus the 20 and says "slow down and have a nice day". That is the way Chicago works from top to bottom. Everybody there is on the take from the cops to the telephone man (want it fixed faster, find him in the neighbourhood and give him a 20 with your number and address on it) to the union bosses to the Mayor himself. YET that city is one of the FEW in the snow belt that prospers.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 PM

41,478 posts, read 57,387,134 times
Miami-Dade to Chicago and points east and west. Corruption is a market in action. Desire a favor and the market sets the price. Make the investment in your position and charge the going rate for your favors. Want to sell dope? Learn how much the cops need to ignore you and your protectors and add the cost to your product. Pure capitalism in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics