Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times

Advertisements

I agree with the author on the point of up to one or two children. 3 or more though, and the benefits and tax breaks should be nulled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:24 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree with the author on the point of up to one or two children. 3 or more though, and the benefits and tax breaks should be nulled.

At one or two children would said family pay more or less taxes than a similar earning couple without children?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
At one or two children would said family pay more or less taxes than a similar earning couple without children?
Less.

An alternative solution would be to lessen the social security retirement benefit for seniors who never had kids.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Less.

An alternative solution would be to lessen the social security retirement benefit for seniors who never had kids.

What do mean an alternative? You just admitted those with no kids and similar earnings pay more already and then you suggest we further penalize folks who don't have children?

Old 08-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What do mean an alternative? You just admitted those with no kids and similar earnings pay more already and then you suggest we further penalize folks who don't have children?
No, either or. That is why I said alternative.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
No, either or. That is why I said alternative.

So eliminate the income tax breaks for children and then reduce the SS benefits for non childbearing adults? Raise income taxes on most parents and reduce retirement benefits for non parents I can work from there

Old 08-17-2014, 09:30 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
What lots of people don't seem to get is that these policies aimed at helping with a problem reinforces these problems. It makes these problems self perpetuating at the cost of everyone. It makes the irresponsible and miserable remain in such muddy life, and at the same time makes everyone else miserable.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
Quote:
Less.

Wrong. The way is to lessen the benefit for those who have kids or adult kids. They have more support than seniors who don't have adult children to look after them.

What needs to happen is lessening tax breaks for those who have children , so that they live responsibly and think before they make a mess. Otherwise, people think they can just have children and everyone else pays for it. Then they want to punish the childless when the childless get old and helpless. Why? Because those who had children "built it." They pulled their bootstraps apparently without any help. You did not build that!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Reihan Salam said When my mother was my age, she was working full time while raising three small children, and she spent every spare moment studying to finish a graduate degree. My father was working extremely hard as well. Between the two of them, they were able to provide their kids with a solidly middle-class life. But it wasn’t easy, and it wasn’t always fun.

So now, as a childless professional in my mid-30s, I often reflect on the sacrifices working parents make to better the lives of their children.

Tax credits and children: Parents should pay lower taxes, and childless people should pay higher taxes.
are you STUPID?

the reason why people do not want kids is because they cannot afford it and then you are going to jack up taxes on THEM??

hell I would say no child subsidies to the people with children.
if you cannot afford them then don't birth them.

stop asking others to pay for your own stupidity.

I would rather tax those that have over 2 children 50% MORE to punish them instead.
they cannot raise them then put them up for adoption

no more extra freebies to welfare queens

the reason why parents struggle is because they made bad choices btw.
better LIVE WITH THE CHOICES YOU MADE.
those with children ALREADY get 100x more perks than those without children and then you want to tax single people MORE? how will they ever have kids responsibly then.

if that is the case then I foresee more dead beat mother's and fathers living as welfare queens and kings.
Why bother working when you can just have kids and have other people pay for them.

end point.
be responsible next time and stop asking poor people to bail you out.

single people use the least amount but get taxed the most.
note: they do not have kids to send to school and use less medical facilities
so poor single people with no kids are the last people you should be taxing because they will never be able to marry if you keep stealing from them.

if anything it should be parents whom should be taxed the most from a utilitarian point of view. because YOU CONSUME TOO MUCH.
consume more = tax more.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
The first time I did my taxes I filed as "head of household" before I realized I was ineligible for that category because I had no children. And yet still, I AM the head of my household. Sorry, no tax breaks without kids, i learned. When the "earned income" tax credit rolled out, again, I was ineligible. Sorry, another tax burden for not having children.

And this was proposed by a *Tea Party* politician? Doesn't this go against all that the party stands for (ie, less government, personal responsibility? )

Until our society starts viewing children as a CHOICE and not a necessity nor a right, i forsee more of these ignorant proposals and discriminations in the future.

*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics