Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As we all know people like to complain about why people shop at Walmart because they have foreign made goods that you can get elsewhere. On a thread in the Work and Employment forum, I replied to a poster who was saying we should buy more American. All well and good but look at the math of buying foreign made goods sold at your Walmart vs. buying American made goods through All-American Clothing.

$4.99 generic tee shirts made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $9.99 American made generic tee shirts
$7.49 graphic tee shirts made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $13.99 American made graphic tee shirts
$14.99 shorts made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $43.99 American made shorts
$13.99 khaki pants made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $48.99 American made khaki pants
$19.99 jeans made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $48.99 American made jeans
$9.99 for six pairs of socks made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $11.99 for three pairs of American made socks

Economics 101, people want the best bang for their buck. This is why in the 1970's and 80's the Japanese cars came into America. They were cheaper upfront and cheaper over the long time because of their better gas mileage. It is only recent that Ford and GM have gotten there (the same with Chrysler as it is owned by Fiat.)

The issue is in many cases you can get DOUBLE of the items at Walmart as you can for All American Clothing prices. Why would someone on a budget think it is better to buy one for the price of two?
Will all due respect, if we talk about math please take in consideration the quality. That Tshirt made in china for each you pay 5 bucks will last exactly one season. It will come apart in the washer or be discolored in the drier; they are not good quality. so you'll buy another one next year.

Merchandise made in USA is good quality/ Sure, you pay 7.49 now but it will last 3 years.
So in the end you pay more over time to buy from Walmart than if you invest in a more expensive piece that will last longer.

One more note: people of China don;t buy their own products. Middle class China all want things made in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Will all due respect, if we talk about math please take in consideration the quality. That Tshirt made in china for each you pay 5 bucks will last exactly one season. It will come apart in the washer or be discolored in the drier; they are not good quality. so you'll buy another one next year.
I have several shirts from Walmart and they all have lasted for well over a year. Some are at least 5 years old and are just fine.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post

Merchandise made in USA is good quality/ Sure, you pay 7.49 now but it will last 3 years.
So in the end you pay more over time to buy from Walmart than if you invest in a more expensive piece that will last longer.

One more note: people of China don;t buy their own products. Middle class China all want things made in America.
I haven't seen much of the clothing falls apart in five years. I know I have Walmart jeans for six years+ and shirts that are about five years+. The point is, the average lifespan of clothing is the same for less. Steve and Barry's clothing was much lower quality and fell apart much quicker than Wal-Mart clothing ever have.

I am not trying to blindly praise Wal-Mart, it is just the best option. I goto Target and see just about the same with a but of an uptick and offen less variety. K-Mart is virtually non-existent. Sears and Pennie's are both in the mall 45 minutes out and I can for sure find two Wal-Mart's within that drive and I only go one every two or three months to that mall. Often times, I don't really find deals except Hot Topic who I swear always did the buy one, get one half deal all the time.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM

24,101 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
As we all know people like to complain about why people shop at Walmart because they have foreign made goods that you can get elsewhere. On a thread in the Work and Employment forum, I replied to a poster who was saying we should buy more American. All well and good but look at the math of buying foreign made goods sold at your Walmart vs. buying American made goods through All-American Clothing.

$4.99 generic tee shirts made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $9.99 American made generic tee shirts
$7.49 graphic tee shirts made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $13.99 American made graphic tee shirts
$14.99 shorts made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $43.99 American made shorts
$13.99 khaki pants made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $48.99 American made khaki pants
$19.99 jeans made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $48.99 American made jeans
$9.99 for six pairs of socks made in a foreign country at Walmart vs. $11.99 for three pairs of American made socks

Economics 101, people want the best bang for their buck. This is why in the 1970's and 80's the Japanese cars came into America. They were cheaper upfront and cheaper over the long time because of their better gas mileage. It is only recent that Ford and GM have gotten there (the same with Chrysler as it is owned by Fiat.)

The issue is in many cases you can get DOUBLE of the items at Walmart as you can for All American Clothing prices. Why would someone on a budget think it is better to buy one for the price of two?
"Why do people shop at Walmart?"

Because they perceive it to be inexpensive and they are ubiquitous.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times
Used to shop there for everything as of about three years ago - everyday items, food, clothes, etc. We though, "Wow everything all in one place!" but after awhile we just got tired of waiting in line for 20-30 minutes seemingly no matter what time of day and the whole atmosphere was like a chaotic circus. Even at two or three different Wal Marts we would try. So now we switched to Target and had a lot more pleasant shopping experience. Target for everyday things and food split between Aldi and a local grocery store.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The only reason I shop at WalMart is for sundry items like deodorant, toothpaste, etc. I buy my clothes at the thrift shop where I can get *very* nice items for a fraction of what they cost at WalMart, and they are usually much higher quality.

20yrsinBranson
Deodorant and toothpaste hardly cheaper at Walmart, perhaps $0.03-$0.10 cheaper than Target or other stores. However you go there and have to put up with 10-20mins standing on line with others like the lady in front of me that has a cart full of stuff but no CC working and forgets her debit card pin.

Nothing of good quality or brand is really that much cheaper at Walmart. Generally poor selection of quality stuff and abundance of inferior quality crap.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Deodorant and toothpaste hardly cheaper at Walmart, perhaps $0.03-$0.10 cheaper than Target or other stores. However you go there and have to put up with 10-20mins standing on line with others like the lady in front of me that has a cart full of stuff but no CC working and forgets her debit card pin.

Nothing of good quality or brand is really that much cheaper at Walmart. Generally poor selection of quality stuff and abundance of inferior quality crap.
There are times I have done better at Target though that was trying to find deodorant which apparently went down in size everywhere you go. I find that Walmart saves you money in the aspect of going to one store for everything. DVDs, CDs (for gifts), food, household goods, bedding. It saves time and gas money because rather than going to each and every individual item that is on sale at say Fry's, Basha's, Sprouts, Albertson's, Safeway and Target. So if you jump from store to store, you end up using up more gas and time than you would in that 10-20 minute line due to slow checkers, price matching and bad customers at Walmart.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
There are times I have done better at Target though that was trying to find deodorant which apparently went down in size everywhere you go. I find that Walmart saves you money in the aspect of going to one store for everything. DVDs, CDs (for gifts), food, household goods, bedding. It saves time and gas money because rather than going to each and every individual item that is on sale at say Fry's, Basha's, Sprouts, Albertson's, Safeway and Target. So if you jump from store to store, you end up using up more gas and time than you would in that 10-20 minute line due to slow checkers, price matching and bad customers at Walmart.
It could be your local Walmart is better for you. Where I live, Target, Walmart, and other stores are clustered very close to each other. The main difference is that Walmart is always crowded, messy, and poorly organized. The merchandise at these stores are similar for daily use items but for bedding I can't buy Walmart stuff, way too cheap. Costcos is a better buy here.

Can't buy food at Walmart, way too limited in selection and very little produce.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It could be your local Walmart is better for you. Where I live, Target, Walmart, and other stores are clustered very close to each other. The main difference is that Walmart is always crowded, messy, and poorly organized. The merchandise at these stores are similar for daily use items but for bedding I can't buy Walmart stuff, way too cheap. Costcos is a better buy here.

Can't buy food at Walmart, way too limited in selection and very little produce.
Both Walmarts near me now are super-centers so they have produce. The one that I frequented in Flagstaff for college was not (another to the north by where Route 66 and I-40 meet, was) so after the Target renovated to include the Target market (their in-store supermarket) it was better. Plus you also had Basha's and Safeway as well so you couldn't really see the price difference compared to a nearby super-center.

Costco is good but it is 40/50 minutes out compared to a Sam's Club which is about 15. The opportunity costs of visiting Costco isn't as good which sucks because I rather go there for the most part when it comes to wholesale due to the nature of Costco compared to Sam's Club. Unfortunately, personal economics limits doing that.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:

MOAR Crap. That's why people shop at Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics