Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 07:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the price difference is made up for with feelings of superiority.
That's what I'm talkin' about! Walmart people are inferior!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why would someone on a budget think it is better to buy one for the price of two?
I don't shop at Walmart because I prefer to shop for quality, not quantity. For example, I prefer to buy clothing and shoes that are well made and will last a long time. You will absolutely save money in the short-term by buying these items at Walmart, but they are cheaply made with cheap fabrics and they do wear out quicker if they don't fall apart altogether after a few washes. Also, if you hit the sales and clearance and use your points and coupons at places like Eddie Bauer and L.L. Bean and Lands End and the like you will often pay even less than what you would spend at Walmart, for much higher quality that will last you a very long time. I don't really care where something is made, but I do care about how it was made and the kind of quality.

Food is another example. You can shop your local CSA's and join local food coops and spend a lot less for locally grown organic food. Shop at Walmart and you'll actually spend more money for very inferior produce and especially lower quality meats and dairy. Plus you'll be more tempted to buy the prepackaged/frozen/artificial/unhealthy junk food type of stuff - which is not only expensive but also very bad for your health, which in turn costs you money due to health problems developed due to poor diet.

The only "better deal" I can really think of as far as shopping at Walmart and truly saving your money would be for prescription meds (if you require them) and electronics. They do offer good prices for meds as well as electronics. But so does CostCo, and CostCo treats their employees much MUCH better!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Why do people shop at WalMart? WalMart knows why. Wages and salaries are the lowest portion of gross national product in over 60 years. That was 1954. Meanwhile, trucking companies are begging for drivers that can pass a random drug test

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I love how people keep saying Walmart items have bad quality. In my experience, Wal-Mart items are no better or worse than the same items elsewhere. I've had a few jeans rip here and there, a few holey socks and that but I defy you to tell me that it couldn't happen from another store because that particular item was the worst of the batch. Think of it this way, a nag of chips is set to be filled around that 16oz mark or so. Sometimes the bags are over-filled or under-filled. The only bad thing I really ever got from Wal-Mart were a pair of Starter sneakers. I usually get New Balance but needed a pair at the time. To cut the story short, that was the only time I bought sneakers at Wal-Mart. Shirts, underwear and sucks, I've done much better than that.

As for buying double, that was rhetoric. All I am saying is that for the price if one, you can buy on average two of something which shows a value. If you go through them quicker because they are cheaply made, I can see why it isn't a value but if they don't then you saved some money.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Was this at night? This seems like how I remember the night shift was in my college town's 24-hour Walmart. There would be one register open with four or five people back in the line. Most of the employees at this hour was stockers.
In our store we have one register open overnight but there are others until 11 PM. I've never seen any back ups that late at night. More like one very 15 minutes so we had time to restock cigarettes, etc..

Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I shop at WalMart. Sporadically before the recession, and pretty much all the time now.

But buying American? I've gone to much nicer, more expensive stores and saw the same Made in China, Made in Pakistan, etc. tags. Where is the magical Made in America store?

I needed to replace a heavy-duty American-made set of garden shears last year. I went to several high-end stores--all the shears said Made in China. I even looked online. Nothing. I ended up getting imports.

I'd have no problem buying American-made if I could actually find American-made goods. And had an assurance that the item marked Made in America was made by actual Americans and not a factory full of illegals.
Don't know if this is widely known, or not, but Walmart has contracted with three American companies to produce products just for them. One is a textile company and can't recall what the other two are. This was in our Jan. issue of the company magazine and I'll look at it again tomorrow so can say better what's what. Sounded interesting though. Hopefully they'll expand, and so will the companies so they can sell to others.

I don't know why people make it sound like Walmart is the ONLY store in the country that sells foreign made products. They ALL do but Walmart is the 'evil one'.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
In small towns it's the only place to shop because all the small mom & pops were run out of business by walmart.
That is not necessarily true. In my town alone we have a LOT of Mom 'n Pop stores that have been here since before Walmart. And they've been here 25 years. We've had new businesses come in and go belly up within a few years but I don't necessarily blame it on Walmart. They just didn't have the 'stuff' people wanted. We have many specialty stores that sell products Walmart doesn't and the locals support them. If a Mom 'n Pop business is really good, has what the consumers want and treats them right, they'll survive...in spite of Walmart.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:09 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
We see so many here, want to buy American made products. But what they do not realize, when a company brags it is made in America can be a lie.

Stanley Tools, just had to pay a $205,000 civil penalty to settle Federal Trade Commission complaint that they were not truly American made wrenches. This was the second time they were caught doing the same thing. On top of that, they market many tools made overseas not made in America. Another example.

FTC Forces Accessory Marketer to Drop 'Made in USA' Claims | Adweek

There have been many situations where people bought a product that they thought was made in America when it is a lie. A lot of people that thought they had bought a product because it was made in America did not realize it was actually made overseas.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:16 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about! Walmart people are inferior!
So on my occasional visits to Walmart I'm in danger of encountering something like the CHUD's?

Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I shop there for selection (Walmart has items that are hard to find) and price.
This is definitely true. I go there specifically for Parsley Plus cleaner for example...when I run out from my Amazon order.

Walmart is not just convenient for clothing, which, yeah, may be a bit sub par in their STORE BRANDS. But so is TARGET's. In fact, I'd say Walmart's clothing is better. AND they carry NAME BRANDS like White Stag for women which DOES last.

Walmart is NOT just cheaper/more economical because of foreign country of origin products.

They set the STANDARD in retail for the VOLUME DISCOUNT/PRICING formulas.

People give their EYE TEETH to get their new products carried in Walmart and go in with a super low margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics