Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times

Advertisements

Theres a place I m closet for Walmart clothes as well as Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Gap or whatever else. Same with my sock drawer I buy my everyday tube socks there and might buy my dress socks at a more upscale dept store or boutique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
What isles? British Isles? Isle of Man? Gilligan's Isle? Man, if I had any idea what island you're talking about your post might make sense.

But I doubt it.
File that under the Damn you auto-correct file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't text or talk on my phone when shopping but I DO put my grocery list on it so, yeah, I have to haul it out.

I have to laugh sometimes when I see some guy standing in the aisle looking around like he's lost. I ask if I can help him find something and he says he's just looking/waiting for his wife. I tell him to just sit on a bench and she'll wander by...eventually. lol I am convinced that the cell phone was invented for people who shop at Walmart together just so they can FIND each other. I see that all the time too.
Cell phone is the cb radios and walkie-talkies of our day. It makes it so much easier to find people than before.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
My comment was more in general and not just about yours, I didn't mean to make it seem so personal, but looking back your comment did provoke mine. I don't really buy clothes at Walmart either. Well, I did buy a package of white socks there recently, which I'm very happy with, and took a gander at the rest of the clothing, which looks okay enough, maybe improved, if you wanted to go the route of spending as little as possible. Oh, and back in 2010, I bought a pair of shoes there that I had worn as work shoes until the past few months. For $12, they held up incredibly well and were actually comfortable and didn't hurt my feet. This time around I bought New Balance for work shoes, spending three times as much even though they were half off regular, and I'm not sure they're any better. I guess my biggest point is that I don't see any reason to proudly announce that I would never be caught dead in clothes from Walmart, or in Walmart, etc. I guess it's the motivation behind those comments I question. And I must say I always find it odd when people are so preoccupied and opinionated about something they do not like, rather than simply being indifferent and it being irrelevant to them. When people actually do use Walmart hating or similar as a pedestal, I'd have to say I find that pretty petty and pathetic, wouldn't you?
I was being largely tongue and cheek about not being caught dead in Walmart clothing lol.. I confess I've bought socks and underwear there and also white t-shirts so I just mean in a general fashion sense really. I didn't mean to be offensive and perhaps in internet world one can come across more insensitively than what they really are. I read your comment which was right after mine and connected it to what I said. Where i'm from and I'm very serious about this, there are usually much better options for clothing or even shoes than what Walmart typically offers for similar prices (maybe a bit more but you just get something better - to me anyway). IMO Walmart's weakest product line is general clothing - i'm sorry but the fashion is boring and uninspired and cookie cutter.. I don't think there's anything wrong with making the comment that I don't like Walmart clothing. This thread is about why people shop at Walmart and I think its fair game to mention the products you shop for or not and why. There are other goods they sell that offer more value to me than clothes and I shop for those without hesitation and as I mentioned - i'm a semi-regular Walmart shopper.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-09-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I was being largely tongue and cheek about not being caught dead in Walmart clothing lol.. I confess I've bought socks and underwear there and also white t-shirts so I just mean in a general fashion sense really. I didn't mean to be offensive and perhaps in internet world one can come across more insensitively than what they really are. I read your comment which was right after mine and connected it to what I said. Where i'm from and I'm very serious about this, there are usually much better options for clothing or even shoes than what Walmart typically offers for similar prices. IMO Walmart's weakest product line is general clothing lines.. I don't think there's anything wrong with making the comment that I don't like Walmart clothing. There are other goods they sell that offer more value and I shop for those.
Your comment wasn't much different than those similar and I was responding to them collectively using yours, not trying to be personal. Some things you roll with and some things you counter, and I've just always thought the Walmart hating was ridiculous and laced with a variety ulterior motives. You have to admit, there's something up when people are not merely indifferent and uninterested in something they supposedly don't like, but instead are driven to express opinions with passion behind them.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
File that under the Damn you auto-correct file.

Cell phone is the cb radios and walkie-talkies of our day. It makes it so much easier to find people than before.
I had a CB back in the mid to late 60s. Who didn't?? lol They not only found you they let everyone on that channel know they found you!

Have to tell you what I did today. Drove over the mountain to Prescott to see some family and do some shopping. Went to three Walmarts. The first one was the oldest and while it's been turned into a Super Walmart it isn't any bigger than it was. That makes it look small and crowded and, yes, the aisles are so narrow only one cart can really get through at a time. There are a total of only 14 registers and six self checkout scanners. Only three registers had cashiers but the lines were minimal. The people I saw all looked normal and the employees weren't pushy and in fact, ignored me. Didn't care. Wasn't looking for help.

The second store I went to is newer and more in line with my store. Bigger, wider aisles, product not all jammed up together so it's just too 'busy' to see it all. I did buy a new printer, a couple of shirts and an extra ink cartridge. Oh, store #1 didn't have a printer in the place! The employees were the same as the first store...doing their jobs and leaving people alone. The cashier was "okay" but got nicer when I slid my employee discount card. That loses points with me because I'd rather she be nice to me as a customer, not a fellow employee.

The third store is the newest, the nicest and the biggest. I wouldn't mind working there but I have to say that NONE of them were anywhere nearly as busy as our store is. Enough to keep them moving but not lines up the kazoo. I like the hustle and bustle of our store. The time flies by and I'm never bored.

Anyway...I can see why some people would complain about store #1 but I would hope the company could do something about it too. Like tear it down and build a new one! Oh, and stores #2 and #3 had much nicer and better looking produce depts. too. And here I thought ALL of them were as good as ours. I always see at least two people working in ours but didn't see anyone in theirs.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Please. Most of the things I buy at Walmart (toiletries, household cleaning supplies, small appliances) are the same items and brands that can be found elsewhere--at higher prices.

We're lucky that these stores are all in close proximity to each other, so you can believe I comparison shop. Anyone who doesn't is a fool.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Please. Most of the things I buy at Walmart (toiletries, household cleaning supplies, small appliances) are the same items and brands that can be found elsewhere--at higher prices.

We're lucky that these stores are all in close proximity to each other, so you can believe I comparison shop. Anyone who doesn't is a fool.
Or is blinded by the nature of these stores. Let's face it besides the look of the customer (which you can find bad customers ANYWHERE and if you don't think that you are kidding yourself.) The rest is economics which I understand and wish I could find better priced options but Costco is 40/50 minutes (30-40 minutes of "city travel") out compared to 15 (5 minutes of "city travel") to Sam's Club, what do you think I would go to? It's great to be able to go to Aldis but if there are no Aldis by you, how can you go to them?

Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I shopped there today because my daughter needed a pair of tights and it's the only place in town that I knew for a fact would have them (didn't have time to shop around). I also picked up an air filter for my car while I was there; I had planned to stop at the auto parts store for that because their filters are of higher quality, but a lesser-quality air filter isn't as likely to cause engine damage as a cheap oil filter so I decided to save a stop.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I shopped there today because my daughter needed a pair of tights and it's the only place in town that I knew for a fact would have them (didn't have time to shop around). I also picked up an air filter for my car while I was there; I had planned to stop at the auto parts store for that because their filters are of higher quality, but a lesser-quality air filter isn't as likely to cause engine damage as a cheap oil filter so I decided to save a stop.
Yeah just like my brother complains about generic food not being as good. If I can't taste the difference when tasting a soda or smelling a lysol spray, it works and does its job.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I had a CB back in the mid to late 60s. Who didn't?? lol They not only found you they let everyone on that channel know they found you!

Have to tell you what I did today. Drove over the mountain to Prescott to see some family and do some shopping. Went to three Walmarts. The first one was the oldest and while it's been turned into a Super Walmart it isn't any bigger than it was. That makes it look small and crowded and, yes, the aisles are so narrow only one cart can really get through at a time. There are a total of only 14 registers and six self checkout scanners. Only three registers had cashiers but the lines were minimal. The people I saw all looked normal and the employees weren't pushy and in fact, ignored me. Didn't care. Wasn't looking for help.

The second store I went to is newer and more in line with my store. Bigger, wider aisles, product not all jammed up together so it's just too 'busy' to see it all. I did buy a new printer, a couple of shirts and an extra ink cartridge. Oh, store #1 didn't have a printer in the place! The employees were the same as the first store...doing their jobs and leaving people alone. The cashier was "okay" but got nicer when I slid my employee discount card. That loses points with me because I'd rather she be nice to me as a customer, not a fellow employee.

The third store is the newest, the nicest and the biggest. I wouldn't mind working there but I have to say that NONE of them were anywhere nearly as busy as our store is. Enough to keep them moving but not lines up the kazoo. I like the hustle and bustle of our store. The time flies by and I'm never bored.

Anyway...I can see why some people would complain about store #1 but I would hope the company could do something about it too. Like tear it down and build a new one! Oh, and stores #2 and #3 had much nicer and better looking produce depts. too. And here I thought ALL of them were as good as ours. I always see at least two people working in ours but didn't see anyone in theirs.
The CB was the predecessor to the internet forum. People communicated anonymously using a "handle" rather than a real name, and it was a lot of fun chatting about common interests to strangers miles away depending on the quality of your radio. I remember spending hours sitting in the car in the driveway in the 70s chatting or just listening to conversations. We often use the cell phone to find each other at Costco, on the rare trip to Walmart we usually stick together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics