Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times

Advertisements

I am with you GregW. How about for student loans we let the individual colleges and universities guarantee the loan(s). Maybe they would lower their fees/tuitions (but I doubt it, they're addicted to the money). No more loans from or guaranteed by Uncle Sam unless you are military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Universities know they are getting money from the government by way of students applying for federal aid. This allows them to raise the tuition every year. You get rid of the student loans, colleges is more competitive and are force to make a effort to get students to attend. Let other financial institutions handle student loans and the government can focus on reducing their debt.

If students can't go to college then they can't go to college, not a big deal.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Universities know they are getting money from the government by way of students applying for federal aid. This allows them to raise the tuition every year. You get rid of the student loans, colleges is more competitive and are force to make a effort to get students to attend. Let other financial institutions handle student loans and the government can focus on reducing their debt.

Except that would take a dramatic shift in the culture of many. Many democrats and educrats love to spout out the fact that college graduates have higher average earnings than high school and even some college. To not have kids go to college is a game changer. Not that I am cheerleading colleges, it is just a big hurdle to jump.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Yes. Scholarships are fine and even private grants, but government money? No, period! Government sponsored student loans should be done away with.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 AM

157 posts, read 370,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post

The good schools like Princeton, UPenn, etc., don't accept federal loans. It's really a combination of the the low quality schools and government(s) that are causing this problem.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
The good schools like Princeton, UPenn, etc., don't accept federal loans. It's really a combination of the the low quality schools and government(s) that are causing this problem.
Yes they do.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
If people don't want to be held accountable to meet the conditions of the loan then don't take out a loan in the first place. College is a privilege, not a right ... if you can't handle the conditions of the loan then either find a college with cheaper tuition or don't go to college. Academic inflation and educational devaluation have destroyed the worth of a college diploma.

Some thoughts and possibilities:

- The Federal government could subsidize the tuition towards an Associate's Degree so everyone can at least get some college education. This however would be very expensive.
- Students need to focus on the state college/university systems which often have much lower tuition than private schools. Sure, SUNY is not Yale or Harvard but they have some pretty decent schools like Buffalo, Albany, and Stony Brook.
- Try a trade school instead of college. Not everyone is suited for college, and in many cases there are simply not enough jobs in a person's field of study. Heck, I am 26 and the vast majority of my friends who have college degrees work in occupations that have nothing to do with their field of study ... of course that is if they even have a job at all.

I would also like to make a general comment about education in the US. We test every student ... in many countries they may only test the smartest and brightest students. The test scores in the rest of the world are artificially inflated. I would love to see what our test scores would look like if we dident have to test the ESL students, the special ed students, and the plain old lazy students who just don't care. Also, remember how I said college isent for everyone? Well in Germany they determine who goes to college and who goes to trade school based on a test they take around what we would consider to be 8th grade.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
The US needs a German option rather than college is for everyone. Sadly I think that will only ever be a pipe dream because too many educrats think that every student needs to goto college. This is why I have counter-argumented a number of posts. Not my personal opinion on the matter, just the general perception of society at large.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 PM

157 posts, read 370,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes they do.
So you're suggesting the no-loan policy at these institutions are false? Do you have proof of that?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 PM

459 posts, read 484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
So you're suggesting the no-loan policy at these institutions are false? Do you have proof of that?
I have my MPA from UPenn and I paid for the amount I owed (after scholarships) using only federal loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics