Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times

Advertisements

Depends on where you live, as you know. We also live in a high tax, high expense state. I know it is ridiculous isn't it. I feel your pain. At least you are being responsible and putting money away for the kids college and your retirement. Those who spend, they are probably not doing this.
If you are like us, moving closer to work means, a. worse schools and neighborhoods, or b. good schools and more expensive housing and taxes. So that is not an option.
Seriously, I suggest get into shopping at aldi, or a discount food chain and making most food yourself. That is the last bastion of savings we have found where we can cut back. A lot of other stuff like gas, home fuel costs, medical, etc we really have no control over.
Don't let people feel bad about your eating out. It all depends on where you eat and what you order. There are times where we eat out and it it less than making it at home. For instance, chinese take out, and we can eat for 3 days on that. and it costs about $20+ dollars. You can't eat peanut butter and jelly all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 04:15 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Trust me, we are between cheap and being frugal. I can control spending on things we don't need but my point is I'm stuck spending on things that I can no control of such as the cost of commute, property, income taxes, and living cost increases and other stealthy costs.

Like I said I have 2 cars that are both over 8 years old and I have fixed one tire recently instead of spending on swapping all 4 tires.

We don't have cable TV and the only thing we do is eat out 1 a week and try to eat healthier foods which I think is a small price to pay for our health.

With cut backs in our expenses we're still not making big gains. Just small ones but not enough to be consider well off.
I'm originally from NY (upstate Watertown) and my mom still lives there.

She continuously complains about taxes but won't move.

I LOL'ed at the part about you making $175k but don't have cable TV. What does that extra $100 a month get you?

Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Perhaps we should rename the website city-anecdote.com if nobody cares about actual information.
Good idea, it could be like your blog. I mean, surely you know more than people who actually live in NYC, right? HIGH FIVE!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:27 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
List your expenses, and we will tell you if you are wasting money.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:33 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
It sounds to me like you're really doing better than the majority. If you can pay bills and taxes then you're doing good. Have you considered charitable donations? Speaking of... if you belong to a church there are a lot of free things there and it's so good for the kids. You might already. Do you follow Dave Ramsey? He's pretty amazing at spotting weak links in financial chains so-to-speak. You should give him a call on his radio show!

There are a lot of wonderful things in the world that don't involve spending money. (extra vacation? I could never afford the first one!)

Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 PM

459 posts, read 484,871 times
With deductions for your children, you should be taking home about $115k per year after federal, state, and city taxes.

That's just under $10,000 per month. Even if I assume you are paying for the privilege of living in Manhattan and are spending $4000 per month on housing (which is wasteful and unnecessary), you should easily be able to fulfill all your other expenses on $5500-$6000 per month after taxes.

I'm really trying to fathom how to make a "frugal" budget in which you struggle, considering you make more than almost all of NYC and more than most of Manhattan.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 PM

231 posts, read 382,010 times
Parking in Manhattan cost money, car insurance, car note, child education, gas, food, utilities, property tax, retirement contributions, health insurance, etc.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:20 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
considering you make more than almost all of NYC and more than most of Manhattan.
Seriously, these liberals crack me up. I sometimes think this is a joke, since nobody could be this wrong by accident, right?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Originally Posted by james777
So the OP makes $175,000 a year in NYC. He probably pays $79,000 a year in taxes, leaving $96,000 a year, or $8,000 a month, for a family of five to live on. That is certainly doable. He should go out to Staten Island or a town in NJ and buy a house and commute so that the housing budget will stretch further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Commute time and affordability of houses based upon distance from jobs are inversely related in NYC. There is no such thing as save on commute and buy a cheaper house. Its one or the other. Pay high commute, or pay high rent.

I am well aware of the costs and logistics of commuting in NYC. My suggestion was for him to maximize what he is getting out of his salary in the NY metro area. He can do that by moving to the part of the NYC metro where the cost of housing is lower, because housing is one's biggest expense. The housing expense is highest in Manhattan, then lower in the three boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx, and then it is lowest in Staten Island and North Jersey. If he moves to where it is lowest, he can save a bundle. Yes, it will be a longer commute, and a higher cost commute, but he can still save a bundle and build equity by buying in Staten Island or NJ, and not have to leave the NY metro, where opportunity in abounds in every field.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds like a self control issue really.
No poop!(aka no *****) $175K can't ends meet. Somebody has a lifestyle issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics