Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,594 times

Advertisements

I would like to share some words with you that I learned over the years.

Wage Slave - (aka YOU and ME)

NUT - (nope not crazy, or a type of hard shelled fruit, but your monthly minimum income needed to pay all bills)

DIVORCE - that which will make you nuts, reduce your status, deny your children a father, and introduce you to abject slavery (DO NOT CONSIDER IT), often this is a mirage that looks like the only way out of wage slavery, do not be fooled.

There ya go, your experience is not unique, welcome to the first world human condition circa 2014. The trick is to make the best of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Last I saw figures a couple of years ago, New York City had the highest cost of living of any U.S. city, followed by Honolulu and San Francisco. The cost of housing is probably the largest single component of cost of living.

And the one thing missing from the information that the OP has shared with us is his housing situation - how big of a place does he have and what is the monthly rent or mortgage payment? Perhaps he has "splurged" on housing? There is no way to know until he tells us.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
The only thing we all agree with is that you'd have to be crazy to live in New York City.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
There's your answer, as several people have noted. You live in NYC. So, yes, you do just work to pay the bills and the taxes. Cost of living is incredibly high in NYC and the taxes are also incredibly high. Your income would be great in most places, but is average there. Your best bet would be to move to a state with lower taxes, if possible. Don't feel badly about it, either. Lots of people are fleeing liberal cities -- including the liberals who voted for their taxes, indirectly, by electing Democrats.
No, $175k/year is not even close to average, especially not for a single earner. The perceptions some people have about life in big cities are ludicrous.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
No, $175k/year is not even close to average, especially not for a single earner. The perceptions some people have about life in big cities are ludicrous.
You should probably look into salaries in New York City. Here's a hint: they're not comparable to what you get in Memphis.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:12 PM

11,057 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I make just over $175k and wife stays home to raise our 3 kids. It seems the last 3-4 years with more tax hike I'm working harder and not making any gains. We pay more taxes, higher insurance, higher expenses and not getting more with our money these days. I don't have 3 cars to maintain just 2 and send my kids to public school with no free lunches. Costs for just about everything has gone up, property taxes, and my wife can get a job but wouldn't do much good and end up going into daycare.

We cut back some of our expenses and delayed buying another car and focused on saving for the retirement and kid's college but nothing else is left for us to spend on to enjoy much. I think the government wants to know why the economy is still not doing well. Maybe because people like me just can't splurge on goods like people were doing in 2004.

If my salary jumps over to $200k I don't think it will make a big difference. Maybe one extra vacation a year and eat and dress better but no real big gains as taxes will eat 1/2 the gains while my work responsibilities will likely increase dramatically.

Which is leading me to think perhaps it's better to just make less and have less to use and less taxes to be paid. But there is no comfortable living number that is just about right in terms of living decently well and not being over taxed.
oh boo freaking hoo. Some of us don't have any "extra" vacations, let alone an additional one, or even any vacations at all to begin with.

Move out of NYC and stop complaining. I can't stand you guys complaining about your 6 figure salaries. Give me a break. Jesus.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Commute is controllable - move closer to work!
Easier said than done depending where he works in NYC.

Quote:
Property tax is controllable - downsize your home!
Not really. I've watched it double on people over a few years.

It's one of the biggest regressive taxes in the country. People shouldn't be forced to moved out of their homes because some putz at city hall decides to double their assessed values.

Quote:
I think what it all comes down to is, what are your priorities and why? If you don't want to move, then you simply think that your location, etc. is more important than the size of your bills. While I can't say that isn't appropriate for your situation, I can point out that it's still a choice.
I'm guessing you've never lived in NYC, let alone the state of NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Complaining about $175k a year? Poor baby.

I wish I had your "problems"
Because you live in Louisiana. His taxes help float your state.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Quote:
You should probably look into salaries in New York City. Here's a hint: they're not comparable to what you get in Memphis.
Census Bureau reports average income for a household in Manhattan is 68k year. 175k is more than 2 and a half times that. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. In any case, if you're going to make things up, I'd suggest you make up plausible things. As it happens, population growth in Manhattan is also slightly higher than in the US as a whole.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Census Bureau reports average income for a household in Manhattan is 68k year. 175k is more than 2 and a half times that. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. In any case, if you're going to make things up, I'd suggest you make up plausible things. As it happens, population growth in Manhattan is also slightly higher than in the US as a whole.
Here's another hint for you: nobody cares what the Census Bureau says. Why don't you ask the people on the New York forum how much a studio apartment in Manhattan costs? Then come back here and let us know.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:23 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
The average apartment in Manhattan is almost $4000 a month.

Those making 68k a year in Manhattan qualify for public housing assistance.

Quote:
Here's another hint for you: nobody cares what the Census Bureau says. Why don't you ask the people on the New York forum how much a studio apartment in Manhattan costs? Then come back here and let us know.
First ask how many of them actually answered the unnecessary questions.

If you had first hand knowledge of the Census Bureau collecting info, you'd question why they even bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics