Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm not speaking of Target's management or the things that go on behind closed doors. Everything I like about Target over Walmart and Kmart is very superficial and can easily be seen.
Thanks for verifying. I do have a tendency to see more than red shopping carts at Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Right, but I'm sure you'd scurry back to Trader Joe's immediately and apologize for the smell that you brought back.
I actually think that Trader Joe's is a bit overrated outside of their wonderful junk food offerings. (But I'd love to find out who makes their wonderful hypoallergenic snickerdoodle cookies- bought them once without realizing they were gluten-free, which usually means flavor free to me, and now I've got to pick up a few boxes every time we go through one. And an excessive amount of the mini peanut butter cups.)

Old 04-06-2014, 07:10 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I actually think that Trader Joe's is a bit overrated outside of their wonderful junk food offerings. (But I'd love to find out who makes their wonderful hypoallergenic snickerdoodle cookies- bought them once without realizing they were gluten-free, which usually means flavor free to me, and now I've got to pick up a few boxes every time we go through one. And an excessive amount of the mini peanut butter cups.)
Ha ha, hypoallergenic cookies. Are the peanut butter cups organic??

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I severely limit our Wal-Mart shopping because more and more, they do not carry things in the store and tell you to order online and I see this as eliminating jobs from our local economy. They have caused the smaller stores to close, like the fabric store, for instance, and now they have jacked up all of the prices for fabric and this is just one example. We also shopped two different towns and where there was competition, prices were a lot lower which they do until they run the other businesses out. I figure you reap what you sow so it will catch up with them in the end.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Well, so far Trader Joe's hasn't come to NWA so I don't know anything about them but I heard through the grapevine that Costco could be coming to Tulsa. ( 2 hours away.. or one and half really) I've heard so much about them and I like Tulsa.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Thanks for verifying. I do have a tendency to see more than red shopping carts at Target.
So you disagree that Target looks less cluttered, has wider shopping isles and less shoppers?

It is not about management or expenses for me. It is about the visual experience.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
1. My time is worth more than my money. I don't like to deal with checkout lines, clueless customers and slow employees. Customers often don't have their method of payment ready and wait until the total is announced before starting to dig in their bag.

2. You get what you pay for. I will choose quality over quantity, always. Does it really save you money if you have to use twice as much of an off-brand detergent to wash a load of clothes? Or if the cheap quality clothing shrinks or falls apart and has to be replaced?

3. The shopping environment is depressing. Why do so many Walmart shoppers look like they have lost their last hope in life? Or are morbidly obese with carts full of junk food? And why do the kids of Walmart shoppers run, climb, shriek, scream and misbehave in general?
I can't blame you for your reasoning but there are some considerations to be made.

1) Totally agree. However, you have to figure that Wal-Mart doesn't care. I hate their "24 lanes, only four open" modus operandi as much as anyone else does, but they only care about keeping prices low while padding the pockets of the higher-ups and the stockholders... which means that they'll make the customers wait a bit longer to check out because having less cashiers on duty means they're paying less for labor. And don't get me started on the hour-reduction massacre that has been ravaging retail employees since the codification of that which we all derisively refer to as "Obamacare".

2) Where can you really buy good quality clothing anymore, without spending a king's ransom for it? I don't think there's any difference between the jeans you buy at Wal-Mart and the jeans you buy at a mid-tier department store like Macy's. They're all "Made In Vietnam", "Made In Bangladesh", "Made In Pakistan", of course "Made In China", etc. I guarantee you that the same slave-labor sweatshops out there pump out the jeans sold at Wal-Mart, Macy's, Nordstrom, JCPenney, Sears, K-Mart, etc. Now, show me some brands that are made in America and I'll believe that there's a difference. Besides, how much more quality do we need? I have done almost all of my clothes shopping at Wal-Mart since I was first introduced to Wal-Mart in 1998, and most of my clothing is still perfectly serviceable despite being over 10 years old... even though I probably wash my clothing more than I have to. What type of quality are you looking for, in clothing? Stuff that will last for 30 years without issue? I'd be fine with that but would the majority of Americans? Those of you in your 50's or 60's, don't y'all look at pictures of yourselves from 1984 and think "Dear God in heaven, WHAT was I THINKING with that hairdo and those clothes?!?!?!" Well, peep this... in 1984 it was COOL to look that way and the only reason why it isn't cool now is because the fashion industry only makes huge sums of money by constantly changing the definition of "cool". Since people are thus compelled to change their styles / fashion / wardrobe every so many years that you can count on only one hand with fingers left over, there's no compelling reason for clothing manufacturers to make clothing that will last through five Presidential elections. By that point you will have been brainwashed into thinking that that style was grotesque and even if you still had clothing of that vintage, you wouldn't be seen dead in it.

3) Because people who are price-conscious shop at Wal-Mart, poor people tend to be price-conscious, and poor people choose to live like "trash" in a proportion far higher than the "trash" proportion of people of greater financial means. Trash parents won't raise kids to be anything better than trash, so there you have it. Not everyone who shops at Wal-Mart is trash, but you wouldn't find the food stamp recipients shopping at Wegman's or some other high-end grocery store. Simply put, money goes further at Wal-Mart than it does at many other stores that sell the same type of wares. However, there are food stores that regularly sell for prices better than Wal-Mart. Try Save-A-Lot or Aldi, if you want proof.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
So you disagree that Target looks less cluttered, has wider shopping isles and less shoppers?

It is not about management or expenses for me. It is about the visual experience.
Yeah, I know. We have Targets here. In fact we have two. Like I say, I do shop there once in awhile. It's too spread out for me personally, but I do love the "Method" soaps they carry, along with "Seventh Generation" and "Meyer". I plan on moving here pretty soon and pretty much got my eye on what I want.. so Wal-Mart will be up the street and Target is jog over..along with Dillard's and TJ Maxx, Bed Bath and Beyond and Gorman's and Kohl's. We have all of that in Fayetteville but I just want to be more centrally located. I love TJ Maxx.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Ha ha, hypoallergenic cookies. Are the peanut butter cups organic??
Don't know about the peanut butter cups, but they're darn tasty, and just the right size and shape. (Apparently there was a study lately talking about how the shape of the chocolate you're eating does impact how you taste it)

The snickerdoodles got picked up when we'd just gotten off a plane in Las Vegas and had stopped at Trader Joe's because we figured it would be a good place to load up on snax for a National Parks trip. So I wasn't really paying attention to the fine print on the box, just that the picture looked yummy, and it was with a bit of horror that I later discovered that they were free of 'six common foods that cause allergies'. Despite this, they're quite good.

I just like exploring different kinds of food, empty calories or not. Love checking out the little Asian and Latino markets in the USA because you find curious things you just don't in mass market groceries. We've been taking about a Japan trip in a few years when the house is paid off, and I've already penciled in a full afternoon at a Lawson near the hotel because I want to explore the big shelf with 37 different flavors of Kit Kat.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Don't know about the peanut butter cups, but they're darn tasty, and just the right size and shape. (Apparently there was a study lately talking about how the shape of the chocolate you're eating does impact how you taste it)

The snickerdoodles got picked up when we'd just gotten off a plane in Las Vegas and had stopped at Trader Joe's because we figured it would be a good place to load up on snax for a National Parks trip. So I wasn't really paying attention to the fine print on the box, just that the picture looked yummy, and it was with a bit of horror that I later discovered that they were free of 'six common foods that cause allergies'. Despite this, they're quite good.

I just like exploring different kinds of food, empty calories or not. Love checking out the little Asian and Latino markets in the USA because you find curious things you just don't in mass market groceries. We've been taking about a Japan trip in a few years when the house is paid off, and I've already penciled in a full afternoon at a Lawson near the hotel because I want to explore the big shelf with 37 different flavors of Kit Kat.
See, the point is -- and I know you know this, even though you're pretending not to -- I'm making fun of Trader Joe's and their customers. Now, you have every right to go to Trader Joe's and they have every right to sell you whatever you want. My only point is that the liberals who flock to Trader Joe's, as usual, think they're more sophisticated for shopping there. In case nobody has ever been to a Trader Joe's -- I've been in there once, left without buying anything, and intermittently receive mailings from them -- the reason they're big is they have all these "high brow" foods. Like, they'll have something normal like popcorn and it'll be made from corn kernels that are imported from Germany and flavored with odd seasonings from the Middle East and you'll get it for six times any normal popcorn and all of their customers are like "this is to die for!!"

That's why they look down on the "commoners" who shop at WalMart, who clearly aren't as "smart" as they are. And that's fine, too, except, as I pointed out, that's their constituency. The liberals are supposedly the party of the "working man" and yet they spend 364 days a year trying desperately not to rub elbows with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics