Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times

Advertisements

I did have one annoying experience yesterday. I went to my local Walmart to buy a pair of sweat pants and they were completely out. Must be a seasonal thing. Of all places I would think Walmart would have a huge supply of sweat pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:18 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Like most people I'm guessing, I don't enjoy the unprofessional staff or lack of staff at Wal-Mart. I also don't care for the frequency with which I'm exposed to the habitually unhygienic and/or criminal patrons that permeate the store at all hours. Sometimes I'll admit, I get a bit angry by both (for different reasons). However, I'm neither there to work with the staff or to make new friends. It's important to keep those things in perspective. Well, that and, not to purchase the frequently phony-fresh produce...

Old 04-05-2014, 07:28 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
1. My time is worth more than my money. I don't like to deal with checkout lines, clueless customers and slow employees. Customers often don't have their method of payment ready and wait until the total is announced before starting to dig in their bag.

2. You get what you pay for. I will choose quality over quantity, always. Does it really save you money if you have to use twice as much of an off-brand detergent to wash a load of clothes? Or if the cheap quality clothing shrinks or falls apart and has to be replaced?

3. The shopping environment is depressing. Why do so many Walmart shoppers look like they have lost their last hope in life? Or are morbidly obese with carts full of junk food? And why do the kids of Walmart shoppers run, climb, shriek, scream and misbehave in general?

#1...........mine isn't

I'm retired.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Like most people I'm guessing, I don't enjoy the unprofessional staff or lack of staff at Wal-Mart. I also don't care for the frequency with which I'm exposed to the habitually unhygienic and/or criminal patrons that permeate the store at all hours. Sometimes I'll admit, I get a bit angry by both (for different reasons). However, I'm neither there to work with the staff or to make new friends. It's important to keep those things in perspective. Well, that and, not to purchase the frequently phony-fresh produce...
Have you ever tried Site to Store? I do a lot of shopping online and then have it sent to the store. SO, I can pick up my big items, run by the pharmacy, grab a few groceries and some soap, cleaning items, grab the newest CD, get my car inline for an oil change, and have a Subway sandwich out the door and read the local paper and grab a People magazine. Sometimes I talk with the door greeter and give a "how's it going'" to a customer service person. Then I pick up the car with new oil and get some Wal-Mart gas. It saves times, and then if I need a pallet of something, I just run by Sams.. but I have to go home first to get the truck. Sometimes I even get my hair cut at Wal-mart while I am getting to oil changed.

Like I said, it's about convenience for me. Whew.. glad it's there! Sheesh! I can even make travel arrangements while getting my eyes checked and having my taxes done while getting a flu shot.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As for psychosis, are you aware of what psychosis is? Since I am a psychologist, I do, and I can tell you, merely having a negative opinion of a corporation is definitely not it.
Priceless!!!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Priceless!!!
It's priceless that a psychologist doesn't understand the common usage of a term and instead is attempting to interpret it as a literal diagnosis? Maybe the two of you need to get a room. By the way, that doesn't literally mean that the two of you are homosexual, before someone gay comes on here to explain that.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,252 times
It would be great if someone next came on here and said "I am a banker and that post actually was not priceless, and I would know." And then hunterseat could say "Priceless!!!"

Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
No, that is the reason you guys don't like Walmart. Walmart is arguably more successful in its field than any other company. The reason people hate it is because they say it crowded out "mom and pop" stores. And guess what? Nobody cared. So since that didn't work, all of the whiners next started complaining about any and everything they could think of about Walmart, including "it causes so much traffic!" and "the greeters obviously don't want to be there!" It's really pathetic watching you guys go on just because you couldn't convince everyone to keep buying at stores with less selection and higher prices.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
1. My time is worth more than my money. I don't like to deal with checkout lines, clueless customers and slow employees. Customers often don't have their method of payment ready and wait until the total is announced before starting to dig in their bag.
I worked a register in a chain grocery store in an upper middle class neighborhood and people did the same thing.
Quote:

2. You get what you pay for. I will choose quality over quantity, always. Does it really save you money if you have to use twice as much of an off-brand detergent to wash a load of clothes? Or if the cheap quality clothing shrinks or falls apart and has to be replaced?
Wal-Mart sells name brand detergent and other stores sell off brand detergent. Same with clothes.
Quote:

3. The shopping environment is depressing. Why do so many Walmart shoppers look like they have lost their last hope in life? Or are morbidly obese with carts full of junk food? And why do the kids of Walmart shoppers run, climb, shriek, scream and misbehave in general?
Fat people with bratty kids shop everywhere.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Stores are too big. Not worth the effort walking from a huge parking lot into a store the same size.

For convenience we buy almost everything at Amazon, good prices, quick delivery. Groceries at a couple of places we've been shopping at for years.

I don't feel one way or the other about Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics