Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Go ahead and tell us why the CEO of a charity should make more than 10 times the average salary of an American worker.

I agree. I won't donate to pay for their salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
When giving to any of these televangelical like charities, be very careful with whom you are dealing.

Many times it is NOT the actual charity making the pitch, but an outfit that uses the underlying charities' name, as in "We are raining money for XYZ.", but they are not actually XYZ.

Same for phone calls soliciting for charities, as in "I am calling on BEHALF of XYZ charity. They are NOT the actual charity.

They are a for profit organization which is raising money for a not for profit charity. Maybe the charity actually gets a few pennies of every dollar that is raised. The objective of these programs is to make money for the fund raising company. If the charity gets a little bit, so be it, but that is not the point.

Be wary. Give money directly to the local battered woman's shelter, the soup kitchen or the local shelter. Forget about these big outfits...American Cancer Society--know how long they have been begging for money? And still, are we any closer to curing cancer through their funding? (Not picking on them....many others are similar; just saying).

Old 04-08-2014, 03:32 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
When you give to the VFW's veteran relief fund, 100% of that money will go to either: homeless vets or sick vets who can no longer cover their medical bills.

If anyone wants to walk into a VFW post, and tell those combat vets that 20% should go to admin fees, I would enjoy watching those fireworks

Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJK993 View Post
Do I trust them? 99% no. I donate to local ones I know plus I sponsor a child through a highly rated charity that afaik never advertises on TV (Compassion International, if you want to know... It's a Christian one but that's not why I picked it.)

You have done a very kind and noble deed by adopting a child abroad. I would like to do the same, but I cannot bring myself to donate anything to a charity where the CEO makes around $400,000 a year, as this one does.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When you give to the VFW's veteran relief fund, 100% of that money will go to either: homeless vets or sick vets who can no longer cover their medical bills.

If anyone wants to walk into a VFW post, and tell those combat vets that 20% should go to admin fees, I would enjoy watching those fireworks

Sick vets who can no longer their health bills? I thought the VA health system operated by the government covered their medical expenses.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Sick vets who can no longer their health bills? I thought the VA health system operated by the government covered their medical expenses.
Each injury must have been documented while you were serving on Active Duty.

Any injuries that were not documented properly; or that grew over time; or that happened after you get out, are not covered by the VA.

Say you broke your leg while serving and it was properly documented. Then after you got out, you developed arthritis in your arms and you lose your job because of your arthritis. The VA is no help.

I served 20 years, from my Active Duty career I have 5 minor disabilities, the VA would treat those 5 things. But I also have other ailments that I contracted after I left Active Duty. The VA only focuses on disabilities that are 'serve connected', assuming they were properly documented.

The VA is much like Workmens Comp. If you are hurt on a job, that injury is treated.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 AM

358 posts, read 512,244 times
Hellllllllllllllllllllllll no!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:21 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The new trend in charity giving I have noticed is to show a heartwrenching tv commercial and then ask for a $20 a month donation. I can't help but wonder how much of the money would go for the purpose of helping others and how much would be used for salaries and " overhead" ? Do you respond to these commercials ? Do they get you to donate?

I also can't afford a $20 monthly donation and so its a turn off that they aren't askng for lower amount or a one time donation.

I know there are websites that rate charities for trustworthiness and how much of the money goes where it should but who knows if the charities are honest about disclosing their spending habits in the first place?
The ONLY charity that I trust and read once has never had a financial scandal[like the Red Cross has- H.
Katrina] is The Salvation Army.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, let's go straight to the point
What exactly is the job of a CEO that if he works in a charity he/she deserves to make 1/2 million dollars a year?

Just to give you an example.... churches run just fine without CEOs
With the exception of clergy and the church secretary, your local church runs mostly off volunteer labor.

You simply cannot run most charities of any size or substance that way. They require a professional staff of people who really know what they are doing. The expertise required is too specific and valuable.

And, to be honest, a $500,000 salary to run a billion-dollar charity is a steal. I'm pretty sure that person earning half a million pulls his or her weight many, many times over.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
I found this link from Charity Navigator about ceo salaries at charities. They say not to trust any charity where the ceo makes a million a year but that salaries in the low 6 figures are okay.

Sizing up Salaries at Charities : Charity Navigator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics