Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times

Advertisements

quote: "I found this link from Charity Navigator about ceo salaries at charities. They say not to trust any charity where the ceo makes a million a year but that salaries in the low 6 figures are okay."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
With the exception of clergy and the church secretary, your local church runs mostly off volunteer labor.

You simply cannot run most charities of any size or substance that way. They require a professional staff of people who really know what they are doing. The expertise required is too specific and valuable.

And, to be honest, a $500,000 salary to run a billion-dollar charity is a steal. I'm pretty sure that person earning half a million pulls his or her weight many, many times over.

Yes, good talent is needed, but we are not speaking of a billion dollar profit making corporation, we are talking non-profit. I think the very low six figures might be justified.

Below is a list from Wikipedia of the annual earnings of the highest paid city mayors. Not one makes over $238,000 per year. If a person can run a big city with thousands of municipal employees, having constant interaction with executives of departments, other municipalities, and state and federal government officials, I see no reason why they would not be suitable to run a charity. One should note that those salaries will go a lot further in Houston or LA than they will in NY, Tokyo, or Oslo. I know I could run a charity a lot better than these high paid CEOs.

Tokyo Naoki Inose $ 238,000
London Boris Johnson $ 234,000
Los Angeles Eric Garcetti $ 232,000
Helsinki Jussi Pajunen $ 229,000
New York City Bill de Blasio $ 225,000
Chicago Rahm Emanuel $ 216,000
Houston Annise Parker $ 209,000
Stockholm Sten Nordin $ 207,000
Oslo Fabian Stang $ 207,000
Calgary Naheed Nenshi $ 205,000

Last edited by james777; 04-09-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Just to give you an example.... churches run just fine without CEOs
Some have them; they're called bishops etc., the leadership title varies with the denomination. They receive a salary, and often have their housing and a car provided for them, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
No. I'm 26, they've been running at least since I was a young kid and what has changed? Bugger all as far as I can tell. It seems to be a bottomless pit.
Every charity wants to be put out of business, trust me. But people will always get sick, be victims of disasters, or become disadvantaged because of circumstances beyond their control. There will always be crimes and victims of those crimes. We are humans, and we are not perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I would never give money through a third party telephone solicitor. I have read they keep a huge percentage of the donation money they take in as their fee for doing business.
That is a wise caveat, but again there are perfectly reputable organizations that hire third party solicitors who don't keep "a huge percentage" of the money. Depending upon the situation, and the consultant's fees, the fees might be quite small.

You're always free to ask questions, and if the consultant can't answer them, ask for someone on the organization's staff who can - generally, you'd ask for the name and number of the development director or institutional advancement director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Same for phone calls soliciting for charities, as in "I am calling on BEHALF of XYZ charity. They are NOT the actual charity.
*shrug* If I were calling you right now to ask for a donation for the organization I work for, that's exactly what I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When you give to the VFW's veteran relief fund, 100% of that money will go to either: homeless vets or sick vets who can no longer cover their medical bills.

If anyone wants to walk into a VFW post, and tell those combat vets that 20% should go to admin fees, I would enjoy watching those fireworks
You're confusing administrative expenses with programmatic expenses. They're separate animals.

I have no doubt that the VFW covers its administrative expenses one way or another. A quote from the VFW website (bold supplied by the VFW):

Quote:
Over the last decade, approximately 80% of support received from VFW members and patriotic Americans was applied directly to veterans service, community service, legislative advocacy and military service programs worldwide.
VFW Grassroots - Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
With the exception of clergy and the church secretary, your local church runs mostly off volunteer labor.

You simply cannot run most charities of any size or substance that way. They require a professional staff of people who really know what they are doing. The expertise required is too specific and valuable.

And, to be honest, a $500,000 salary to run a billion-dollar charity is a steal. I'm pretty sure that person earning half a million pulls his or her weight many, many times over.
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

Below is a list from Wikipedia of the annual earnings of the highest paid city mayors. Not one makes over $238,000 per year. If a person can run a big city with thousands of municipal employees, having constant interaction with executives of departments, other municipalities, and state and federal government officials, I see no reason why they would not be suitable to run a charity.
Mayors are figureheads. and many are only part-time. They have city managers who do the heavy lifting; all they have to do is show up for ribbon cuttings, break ties in city council votes, and make speeches.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:30 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
The only TV charity I would consider donating to is the one for those poor people who had an abdominal or uterine mesh sling embedded in them that later became infected....

I want to scream when I hear that commercial. I want to scream right now thinking about it.

But I'm on a train so I will control myself.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:03 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Some have them; they're called bishops etc., the leadership title varies with the denomination. They receive a salary, and often have their housing and a car provided for them, etc.
A bishop is not a CEO.

Bishops and deacons are in positions of leadership, however I have never been in a church where either of those positions received a salary.

Quote:
... Every charity wants to be put out of business, trust me.
This is in error.

Quote:
... there are perfectly reputable organizations that hire third party solicitors who don't keep "a huge percentage" of the money. Depending upon the situation, and the consultant's fees, the fees might be quite small.
Name one.

Quote:
... You're confusing administrative expenses with programmatic expenses. They're separate animals.

I have no doubt that the VFW covers its administrative expenses one way or another. A quote from the VFW website (bold supplied by the VFW)
No, again you are confusing your animals.

The VFW does support veterans service, community service, legislative advocacy and military service programs worldwide. None of which I said anything about. The VFW does not raise charity money to cover any of those things that you have listed, those things are done from member volunteer efforts and from our dues.

I mentioned the VFW's veteran relief fund. None of which goes to administrative expenses or programmatic expenses

Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I once worked for a regional food bank. While we were grateful for all the in-kind donations of food we received, we could leverage the purchase of so much more food with monetary donations. With local food pantries, cash donations allow the pantries to purchase food -- usually at amazing discounts -- that their beneficiaries will actually want to eat.

Donated food that goes uneaten might as well be tossed into the trash. Before you donate food to a food pantry or food bank, ask them what they need or want.
I get that SOME charities could indeed probably leverage the purchase of food with monetary donations, but if I don't know who is doing that purchasing and handling those funds and they suddenly tell me they don't want food donations--of food I bought guided by the list THEY published--and the reason is because their "clients" are complaining, my antennae go up. They do still want cereal, which I am buying.

There's another food pantry/soup kitchen/other services provider in our area that I trust because I know some of the people who run it and how they run it and I've volunteered there. I have no problem making cash donations to them.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A bishop is not a CEO.
You are incorrect. A bishop is the leader of the regional church organization, with the same responsibilities as the CEO of XYZ Corp.

Quote:
This is in error.
I feel sorry for you if you think people who work at charitable organizations would like to perpetuate illness, poverty, lack of education, etc.

Quote:
I mentioned the VFW's veteran relief fund. None of which goes to administrative expenses or programmatic expenses
The VFW veteran relief fund is a program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I get that SOME charities could indeed probably leverage the purchase of food with monetary donations, but if I don't know who is doing that purchasing and handling those funds and they suddenly tell me they don't want food donations--of food I bought guided by the list THEY published--and the reason is because their "clients" are complaining, my antennae go up. They do still want cereal, which I am buying.
That's really unfortunate; no way to cultivate support, that's for sure. I'd do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics