Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 937,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
With most of the wealth of the US concentrated in the hands of a small plurality, which is currently growing, and having most of that money probably in the hands of Wall Street, this does not come as a surprise.

I feel the real issue is the income inequality and not specifically how much money is being thrown into the stock market.
Fascinating, since the policies of the Obama administration have, therefore, led to the increased concentration of wealth in the small plurality. So you agree that the Obama administration is responsible for income inequality and therefore his party should be thrown out of office. Good to know you're on our side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 679,250 times
The entire stock market, not only in the U.S. but world wide, scares me. It's all inflated paper imo.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
The entire stock market, not only in the U.S. but world wide, scares me. It's all inflated paper imo.
Technically, although you are right, we're still at the point where people will accept the currency as "real." In other words, it does still have some value, although it is inflated. But if we continue with our current liberal policies, at some point someone's going to say "uh ...this paper is worth nothing," you are correct about that.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,982,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
You don't understand what stock is then.

Stock isn't paper money. It's a piece of ownership in a company. It's value may be denoted in a currency, but it's not currency.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,800,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
... I feel the real issue is the income inequality and not specifically how much money is being thrown into the stock market.
The real issue is not the slice of the pie. The real issue is the pie isn't growing the way it should be growing in order to support full employment & wealth creation.

We currently have a rare combination of (a) high asset prices with low implied equity premium going forward, which means business isn't expected to grow, and (b) low interest rates with a low term-premium, bad for investors.

At the end of the day, these reflect the anti-business and anti-wealth creation policies of our government.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,800,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
...That is insider trading.
Technically, it isn't insider trading, but it sure doesn't feel right. It doesn't harm individual investors - the extra dollar I might pay when I purchase a block of stock doesn't matter to me. It does harm institutional investors such as pension plans & college endowments, as they are dealing with boatloads more money than me.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Technically, it isn't insider trading
It's not insider trading, but it is technically illegal. The reason is because the money being pumped into the stock market is not being distributed evenly to everyone. It's being directed towards certain companies. So while they technically don't have "insider knowledge" of what's going on, they are selectively benefiting. In addition, the money is just being printed, so it's Monopoly money that is being injected into the market, which dilutes the value of our currency and distorts the market.

Basically, Obama is saving his own bacon and someone down the line is going to experience a huge correctional market crash and then the Democrats will blame that administration (which will undoubtedly be a Republican one).

Old 04-10-2014, 10:10 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,283,324 times
The stock market is soaring partly because of the expansionary monetary policy instituted by the federal reserve. If unemployment continues to drop, the fed will raise interest rates and people will re-balance their portfolios and pull money from their equities and the stock market will take a hit. That is why "good" and "bad" unemployment numbers are somewhat counter intuitively reflected in the value of the various stock market indices. The reason why people are still a bit nervous is that interest rates are already so low that the fed does not have the full range of tools available to resuscitate the economy if we were to hit another slowdown. Everyone thinks that they can time the index drop once the fed hints that the monetary policy will be tightened. Some will, some won't, but a lot of people will end up taking a big hit on equities. Then again, anyone that has no exposure to equities over the past four years or so missed out on a big opportunity. If predicting it was easy, everyone would be able to do it and there would be no winners or losers. There are lots of ways to mitigate the risk, but there is a lot of money to be made for those that want to roll the dice.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
If unemployment continues to drop ...
More correctly, this would read "If unemployment ever does actually drop ..."

Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,777,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Fascinating, since the policies of the Obama administration have, therefore, led to the increased concentration of wealth in the small plurality. So you agree that the Obama administration is responsible for income inequality and therefore his party should be thrown out of office. Good to know you're on our side.
I am not saying it was Obama, nor am I placing the blame on anyone. The OP mentions how the market is growing, but the rest of the economy, employment are not doing anywhere near what ought to be considering. That is largely because of income inequality. The ones with all the money are apparently investing in stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics