Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then we must compel businesses to add jobs. Otherwise we need to have start ups to offset how many jobs we have lost and not yet see return. We are maybe a few hundred thousand better than when Obama came into office but still low wage job growth and more people leaving because they cannot find work. That or create more pubic works jobs. We only have so many ways to create jobs and business don't want to add jobs and purple complain about the levels of government waste so it is entrepreneurialism our nothing right now.
Demand for labor. Money isn't getting into the hands of the consumer to consume with. The barriers to entry have never been higher. Start ups are having a hard time of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Demand for labor. Money isn't getting into the hands of the consumer to consume with. The barriers to entry have never been higher. Start ups are having a hard time of it.
....if they are consumer market driven. Corporations and govts. have money. Small start-ups still receiving billions in contracts. Creation of more public works jobs.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
We don't have enough jobs to create even if it is businesses. One cannot open a business if you don't do it cheaper or more efficient than the competitors in your market AND you can cover costs. The internet and the recession are huge issues affecting start-ups. The up-front costs too are much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
....if they are consumer market driven. Corporations and govts. have money. Small start-ups still receiving billions in contracts. Creation of more public works jobs.
I wish we could see more public works jobs. The problem is people don't want to see taxes raised as well as expanded spending. Obama's Jobs bill asked for that and it was shot down by not just Republicans but also Democrats as well. We need to spend a little now to create jobs for the future and then we can worry about lowering the deficit.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Ya but...

Back in 2008 70% of the economy was consumer driven. Now the figure quoted is 60%. That is quite a swing.

Corporations and governments do have money. They look at labor as an expense. They don't look at labor as an investment in future consumption. They don't want to spend their money on labor.

The cost of insurance is prohibitive. That cost is in part a function of the total debt as % of GDP. Dropping the total debt to GDP ratio will help reduce the barriers to entry.

Getting the total debt down without writing off a large part of it requires a large increase in wages across the board. Upping the minimum wage is the only way I see of doing that.

If you announce the coming of wage inflation then Corporations will spend their money on labor before the inflation gets here. That way they will get the return on their money that would be lost if they just sat on it as cash as we have inflation.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
We don't have enough jobs to create even if it is businesses. One cannot open a business if you don't do it cheaper or more efficient than the competitors in your market AND you can cover costs. The internet and the recession are huge issues affecting start-ups. The up-front costs too are much higher.
You left out better. But the recession. That is driven by too much debt. that wont change until the debt to income ratio changes.
Quote:
I wish we could see more public works jobs. The problem is people don't want to see taxes raised as well as expanded spending. Obama's Jobs bill asked for that and it was shot down by not just Republicans but also Democrats as well. We need to spend a little now to create jobs for the future and then we can worry about lowering the deficit.
We need higher wages so that people that are currently maxed out on debt can have some breathing room. That and the cost of insurance needs to be addressed.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You left out better. But the recession. That is driven by too much debt. that wont change until the debt to income ratio changes.
I thought better was an assumed with more efficient...

Quote:
We need higher wages so that people that are currently maxed out on debt can have some breathing room. That and the cost of insurance needs to be addressed.
That is the problem with the jobs we created, not enough pay good wages to pay off debt and actually make a dent tax wise.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I thought better was an assumed with more efficient...
Now if I were to make the best crankshafts in the world then I could charge what I wanted for them. Making them by hand would be horribly inefficient but... I could charge a lot for them. Better is not the same as efficient.

Quote:
That is the problem with the jobs we created, not enough pay good wages to pay off debt and actually make a dent tax wise.
We can't make enough value adding jobs to balance to budget. But we can change the dollar value of the jobs we can create. Up the minimum wage and then get the money sitting in excess of the reserves required to be loaned out. Boom time hear we come.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Now if I were to make the best crankshafts in the world then I could charge what I wanted for them. Making them by hand would be horribly inefficient but... I could charge a lot for them. Better is not the same as efficient.

We can't make enough value adding jobs to balance to budget. But we can change the dollar value of the jobs we can create. Up the minimum wage and then get the money sitting in excess of the reserves required to be loaned out. Boom time hear we come.
I am not sure if the minimum wage increase will really work to lad to a boom. I am not doom and gloom on it that it will lower jobs but I don't see it giving that much of an increase. I say you make the "subsidides" are tied to job growth. Say they need to add 1-2% each year to qualify and if they don't they lose it. I think that expansion would do much more than minimum wage.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I am not sure if the minimum wage increase will really work to lad to a boom. I am not doom and gloom on it that it will lower jobs but I don't see it giving that much of an increase. I say you make the "subsidides" are tied to job growth. Say they need to add 1-2% each year to qualify and if they don't they lose it. I think that expansion would do much more than minimum wage.
try this one on for size
FRB: H.3 Release--Aggregate Reserves of Depository Institutions and the Monetary Base--Current Release

There is $2.5 trillion sitting idol. that is new money. It should turn into $22.5 trillion in new debt when fully loaned out and redeposited. The reason that the money isn't being loaned out is that there aren't good places to loan it. Upping the minimum wage should create unleveraged income that can be used to service new debt with. With that kind of unspent money sitting around there simply isn't a dead weight loss to upping the minimum wage.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Now if I were to make the best crankshafts in the world then I could charge what I wanted for them.

No, you cannot. With everything manufactured at some point the marginal cost of producing a "better" model exceeds the marginal benefit the consumer realizes from purchasing the "better" product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics