Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:09 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,366 times

Advertisements

The O.P. writes:
"Yesterday I was driving past a Michaels and wanted to go in there to shop but I felt afraid to buy anything there due to the recent identity theft scare, so just drove on by. "

Quite apart from cash vs. credit card, you did yourself a favor by not going into that chain store. There really isn't any thing there you need. It's filled with Chinese-made, worthless junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not a fan. Lots of fees.
I do my spending/budgeting with a CC as well as others.
I have $20 in my wallet and use my CC for everything during the month.
I pay off the bill each month. No interest charges, no fees.

And then I have one single statement to track my spending eliminating the need to track my spending
Works for me. I'm not an impulse spender and have been doing this for near 5 years now.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do my spending/budgeting with a CC as well as others.
I have $20 in my wallet and use my CC for everything during the month.
I pay off the bill each month. No interest charges, no fees.

And then I have one single statement to track my spending eliminating the need to track my spending
Works for me. I'm not an impulse spender and have been doing this for near 5 years now.
I was responding to the following post about VISA gift cards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
What do you think of the visa gift cards you can buy in stores? Its not reloadable and they do charge a fee to put money on it but you can put up to $500 at a time and it might be harder to hack since it is temporary.
They come with hefty loading fees and are not standard credit cards. Congrats on finding a system that works for you. You are in good company. In the past I have used a credit card in a similar manner, but cash works better for my family at this stage of our life.

I am not interested in converting anyone, rather I just thought I would share how we do things. Little did I know that it would make me a target for a parade of insults about my supposed lack of discipline and apparent bent for exaggeration. Sigh.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I was responding to the following post about VISA gift cards...

They come with hefty loading fees and are not standard credit cards. Congrats on finding a system that works for you. You are in good company. In the past I have used a credit card in a similar manner, but cash works better for my family at this stage of our life.

I am not interested in converting anyone, rather I just thought I would share how we do things. Little did I know that it would make me a target for a parade of insults about my supposed lack of discipline and apparent bent for exaggeration. Sigh.
They probably think you're an impulse spender and if given a CC would rack up the debt to the limit and then not be able to pay when the bill comes.

That's the typical American these days that everyone gets lumped into.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:20 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,205 times
Default Too much CC usage perpetuates inflation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny
Lately I have seen a scam with cash only prices at gas stations. Often the credit price has been jacked up by as much as $0.75-1.00/gallon.
Good for them! This is the way it should be since bank fees ADD to the cost of selling gas. Gas cards enable the Gas Industry to overcharge for gas--IOW, cash/non-merchant CC payers are being OVERCHARGED for gas purchases everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubito1724
After learning about Banks and how they are just stealing millions from us and basically running everything, I refuse to put my money in their hands.
Bingo. By using cash, you starve the unfriendly financial beast. I limit my CC usage as much as possible; it's sad because CC is the best way to pay for things IMHO. Even @ Walmart, I feel uncomfortable using a CC for purchases under ~$50.

Disclosure: ATM withdrawals (walk up 2x/month) takes me 2~4 minutes everytime, & that includes counting the money twice.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
Good for them! This is the way it should be since bank fees ADD to the cost of selling gas. Gas cards enable the Gas Industry to overcharge for gas--IOW, cash/non-merchant CC payers are being OVERCHARGED for gas purchases everyday!

Bingo. By using cash, you starve the unfriendly financial beast. I limit my CC usage as much as possible; it's sad because CC is the best way to pay for things IMHO. Even @ Walmart, I feel uncomfortable using a CC for purchases under ~$50.

Disclosure: ATM withdrawals (walk up 2x/month) takes me 2~4 minutes everytime, & that includes counting the money twice.
I use my CC for everything for the month and then pay the balance in full.
I'm actually using the bank's money for that month while my money earns interest (yeah it's minuscule).

Am I not starving the beast as well by borrowing their money for FREE for a month ?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
One could argue that since credit card issuers charge merchant fees, cash purchases reduce their revenue stream.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,568 times
If you really want to "starve the beast" you need to take advantage of intro offers. $400 for $3k in spending is a 13.33% cash back offer.

Take the offer, get the cash, kill the card. Sure, your credit rating takes a slight hit, but that's about it.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
It depends on what I am purchasing but I always carry $50 around.

An aside...you can't buy weed with plastic.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:40 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
One could argue that since credit card issuers charge merchant fees, cash purchases reduce their revenue stream.

Do you get a discount every time you make a purchase with cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics