Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It doesn't include SS and Medicare which are very regressive. But those ARE federal taxes
Well you totally missed that one

40% pay no federal tax

That 40% includes a lot of folks who live solely on SS income or military retirement

Neither post have anything to do with SS/Medicare tax. Both are about the population that pay no income tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well you totally missed that one

40% pay no federal tax

That 40% includes a lot of folks who live solely on SS income or military retirement

Neither post have anything to do with SS/Medicare tax. Both are about the population that pay no income tax
Let's do the math-- About 50% pay no income tax. Of those, 61% pay payroll tax. That leaves only 19.5% who pay no federal tax, not 40%.

Out of that 19.5%, 11% are seniors living on Social Security and the other 8.5% are disabled, students, veterans, unemployed, etc.

Misconceptions and Realities About Who Pays Taxes — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
While I am a big fan of tax reform (and I specifically like The Fair Tax), I don't see it happening.
Fair Tax? There is none except one. Land Valuation Taxation the only progressive tax. All the rest are bad taxes - regressive taxes - that penalise the productive, while rewarding predators (parasites).
The "Fair" Tax is also known as Consumption Tax or National Sales Tax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUxBJ7n0T8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You just gave an argument AGAINST Land value taxation. Gentrification will still happen under that system. The affluent will move into an area, raise the value this increasing land value tax on the poor....forcing them to sell or lose their land.
The same happens with the "fair" tax on those who have to buy new goods because old goods aren't available or are in fact cheaper than the old goods. Take a car for instance, old cars can be as low as $2,500 while the lowest price of a new car is as low as $8,000. The fair tax would drive up prices of used cars because people would game the system to beat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It appears that you know little about the Fair Tax.
Yes because most people know it as the Consumption Tax and others know it as the National Sales Tax. The tax isn't fair at all and is easy to game as is the current tax rates. I suggest you like others read and figure it out for themselves.

Is a National Sales Tax Really Fair? - Forbes
Why The Fair Tax Will Fail - Forbes
Top Arguments Against The FairTax
Fairness VS FairTax
Unspinning the FairTax
IRS-GATE: BEWARE THE "FAIR-TAX" FLIM-FLAM! | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

so it doesn't seem like I am being negative,
Americans For Fair Taxation
What Is the Fair Tax Act Explained - Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Shows how little you know about the Fair Tax if you think it's actually "fair"

Kinda like No Child Left Behind and the Patriot Act.
I am with you. I find it regressive and unfair because it will hurt the working poor and middle class. The rich will pay about the same, maybe less. Plus they can cut back to adapt. The working poor and middle class, not so much and are penalized because they paycheck-to-paycheck while the upper class can cutback.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I am with you. I find it regressive and unfair because it will hurt the working poor and middle class. The rich will pay about the same, maybe less. Plus they can cut back to adapt. The working poor and middle class, not so much and are penalized because they paycheck-to-paycheck while the upper class can cutback.
The rich will pay far far less. We already know how this works, because we already have sales taxes. Sales tax is the most regressive tax. The rich don't spend a significant portion of their income compared with the middle class and the poor.

It would actually encourage wealth hoarding...

Old 05-01-2014, 12:29 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
The rich will pay far far less. We already know how this works, because we already have sales taxes. Sales tax is the most regressive tax. The rich don't spend a significant portion of their income compared with the middle class and the poor.

Which in our economy is deadly.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it encourages hoarding because it taxes on what you buy not what you make. The rich can change behavior more than others who live paycheck-to-paycheck. Now yes, the argument is the rich will pay for X just because, but under this idea, that is taxed while income isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Which in our economy is deadly.
Exactly. Look at the way the economy is "booming" with skeleton crews and less players...

Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The "Fair" Tax is also known as Consumption Tax or National Sales Tax.
This is nonsense. A tax on sales is a tax on trade. What you do not want to do. It is best buy far to "reclaim" economic rent. Use commonly created wealth to pay for common services.

Anything else is a bad regressive tax. Taxes meant to milk the poor at the benefit of the rich.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:50 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You just gave an argument AGAINST Land value taxation. Gentrification will still happen under that system. The affluent will move into an area, raise the value this increasing land value tax on the poor....forcing them to sell or lose their land.
It is clear you do not understand Land Value Taxation. It is a levy on the value of the land only. The buildings are not taxed. The value is assessed annually. If the value goes down, so doe the levy, if up so does the levy. It is fair. None is pushed onto the poor. Live in a high value district, as the rich do, and you pay more. The market determines the value of the land. It is auto correcting.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
This is nonsense. A tax on sales is a tax on trade. What you do not want to do. It is best buy far to "reclaim" economic rent. Use commonly created wealth to pay for common services.

Anything else is a bad regressive tax. Taxes meant to milk the poor at the benefit of the rich.
How would economic rent help the poor compared to the rich? Call me "stupid" but you have me intrigued by this idea. Also, where would true rent fall in? Would it raise rates because owners would jack up prices due to higher overhead from taxes)? Would they need to pay economic rent as well?

Though I do have to ask how is a marginal flat tax regressive? I can plainly see why a fair tax is and a true flat tax of 17% would be, even the the current system but not a marginal flat tat

Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:

While I agree a use tax would have a hard time being progressive, I disagree that "wealth hoarding" is such a bad thing. If the money is never spent, what's the point in being rich? Excessive consumption is the bad thing; wealth hoarding is nothing more than living frugally.

In some sense the amount you make is how much you contribute to the well being of society and how much you spend is how much you consume from society. The problems with excessive stores all ultimately stem from the wealthy (or their spoiled children) spending in great excess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics