Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:10 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times

Advertisements

I got this off the net. It's a little long but what do you think, especially if you work more than 50 hours a week?

HANOVER, Germany - Representatives from Volkswagen AG and Germany's biggest industrial union said Friday they had agreed to increase working hours at plants in western Germany by more than four hours a week to 33 hours without any increase in pay.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 12:20 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
In meiner Meinung zeigt das nur was los mit Deutsche Industrie ist.... 33 stunde ist schon zu wenig, aber die Arbeiter verdienen bis 2011 einen Job garantie. Das zeigt, wie Frankreich auch, warum Europa nicht kompetitiv ist.
I think the German companies who make these kind of arrangements are slitting their own throats.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Was haben Sie gesagt? Thank the lord for free web translations, I got you! The only thing I don't get is the company slitting their throats or are the workers?

Old 09-29-2006, 02:54 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,055 times
Talking outward bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I'm going to Germany!
Stop in at Ladelund and say Hi to the cousins Hansen. My ggfather was the butcher of Ladelund.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Was haben Sie gesagt? Thank the lord for free web translations, I got you! The only thing I don't get is the company slitting their throats or are the workers?
What I mean is that the unions in Deutschland are so powerful that at first they enforced full salaries for workers working under what had been considered full time. The article acknowledges that these companies are just barely breaking even, yet their workers have been given full benefits and lesser working hours and are virtually immune from termination, despite the reality of how the companies are doing. This means that companies have their hands tied, regardless of how profitable or unprofitable they are. This latest measure by the unions means they agree to working 33 hours at no pay increase...a step forward, but the 35 hour workweek is standard now in France too and both Germany and France have tried to fight unemployment by lowering fulltime work hours so that more people must be hired. But, the companies have to give all the employees full benefits and once you get a job, it would take an act of government to fire you, even if you're incompetent. That's why there was such a reaction in France last year (before the Muslim carbecues). People get out of university and cannot get hired permanently because the companies know that if they do hire them, they must give them full benefits and can never fire them, regardless of performance. So, they hire young people for temporary period, then disgard them to avoid the exposure. Das ist was ich meinte und auch freue ich mich das du ein Uebersetzer gefunden hast...das nenne ich klug

Old 10-03-2006, 04:11 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times
Quote:
I got this off the net. It's a little long but what do you think, especially if you work more than 50 hours a week?

HANOVER, Germany - Representatives from Volkswagen AG and Germany's biggest industrial union said Friday they had agreed to increase working hours at plants in western Germany by more than four hours a week to 33 hours without any increase in pay.
Auf Wiedersehen und gutes Glück

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-03-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Stop in at Ladelund and say Hi to the cousins Hansen. My ggfather was the butcher of Ladelund.
My grandfather was the Barber Of Seville. Figaro..figaro..figaro! I just had to, couldn't resist

Old 11-24-2006, 08:19 PM

17 posts, read 104,944 times
Quote:

are you really going to be visiting germany?? i'm currently a concerned n.j. resident in the united states army stationed in vilseck, germany. it's very....different lifestyle here than my hudson county.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-24-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el nina mujer estalacalle View Post
are you really going to be visiting germany?? i'm currently a concerned n.j. resident in the united states army stationed in vilseck, germany. it's very....different lifestyle here than my hudson county.
No I was just being sarcastic. They increased the amount of hours worked weekly to 33, which makes me a bit envious.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:14 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
In meiner Meinung zeigt das nur was los mit Deutsche Industrie ist.... 33 stunde ist schon zu wenig, aber die Arbeiter verdienen bis 2011 einen Job garantie. Das zeigt, wie Frankreich auch, warum Europa nicht kompetitiv ist.
I think the German companies who make these kind of arrangements are slitting their own throats.
Wenn Sie schon mal in Deutsch schreiben wollen, dann sollten Sie auch die richtige Deutsche Grammatik anwenden! Good job! And just kidding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics