Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is risk aversion because of the LOCAL economies at play or with e-business, the larger economies. If you can't sell lemonade at Wrigley Field because you will need a permit to do so (refer to my previous article link) YOU WON'T. If the economy does not demand tutors, you cannot tutor. It's as simple as that. That is all I am saying and you and others take it as being lazy. NO, it's looking better at the economies at play. If the market wont buy your service, it will NOT WORK AT ALL! Don't tell me it will because it can't.

How do you know if the Econ is demanding tutors if you don't try to be one? If you don't try you won't know if a market exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
It is risk aversion because of the LOCAL economies at play or with e-business, the larger economies. If you can't sell lemonade at Wrigley Field because you will need a permit to do so (refer to my previous article link) YOU WON'T. If the economy does not demand tutors, you cannot tutor. It's as simple as that. That is all I am saying and you and others take it as being lazy. NO, it's looking better at the economies at play. If the market wont buy your service, it will NOT WORK AT ALL! Don't tell me it will because it can't.
Stop looking for the negative in everyone else's successful schemes. Why do you do that? Why can you not come up with a single business concept on your own, but instead tell others why their ideas won't work for you? Are you a creative person? Do you lack passion and drive?

I failed at multiple businesses before I hit on something that was a success. The learning process is in the failures. Are you afraid of failure?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why not learn a trade skill instead of going to college? Become a welder and start out at 70k a year for Nucor or oil and gas? Truth is the model is broken, college is too expensive, kids use student loan proceeds for far more than education, kids are taking far too long to get a degree if they get one at all, kids get worthless degrees and last but not least far too many people aren't cut out for higher education but attempt it anyhow because mommy and daddy don't want little Johnny growing up to be a plumber
Trades are something I've spoken about with younger people for years; particularly about my trade: Power Generation.

High paying challenging jobs are to be found in the power generation, transmission and distribution sector. Sadly, most of those I've spoken to seemed uninterested once I revealed that these trades do require shift work, working weekends and holidays, and the frequent OT.

Of those I've spoken to, only two young men heeded my advice. One was a neighbor in his late teens. Some 11 years ago he asked about my field of work. Long story short, he became a Substation Operator for Southern California Edison (SCE). Today he has a yearly six figure income.

The second young man who took my advice was about to get out of the Nuke Navy. He became a Load Dispatcher with Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (google Load Dispatch City of Los Angeles) which at the time yielded a starting salary of $83K/year.

It took me 2.5 years of vocational training (VT) which I paid out of pocket in the 80's. VT was a licensing requirement. Upon acquiring the license I easily got into the field where then I acquired several other certifications.

I've been in this field for 29 years and have not gone without a paycheck or been laid off in that amount of time. I raised a family in an upper middle class neighborhood of Los Angeles County.

Should anyone have questions about these fields, checkout the following link to one of the best schools in the nation:

Bismarck State College: National Energy Center of Excellence

Good luck!

Last edited by chacho_keva; 05-07-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
It is risk aversion because of the LOCAL economies at play or with e-business, the larger economies. If you can't sell lemonade at Wrigley Field because you will need a permit to do so (refer to my previous article link) YOU WON'T.
Have you even looked into getting a permit for something? Often only requires an application and small fee, though some industries are more stringent (e.g. food carts). But have you even looked into this? What if a lemonade booth is a $25 permit and you make that return in 1 hour?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:17 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Peter Gibbons said it best when he said:

Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Have you even looked into getting a permit for something? Often only requires an application and small fee, though some industries are more stringent (e.g. food carts). But have you even looked into this? What if a lemonade booth is a $25 permit and you make that return in 1 hour?
The Inexplicable War on Lemonade Stands - Forbes

Quote:
In Coralville, Iowa police shut down 4-year-old Abigail Krstinger’s lemonade stand after it had been up for half an hour. Dustin Krustinger told reporters that his daughter was selling lemonade at 25 cents a cup during the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Race Across Iowa (or RAGBRAI), and couldn’t have made more than five dollars, adding “If the line is drawn to the point where a four-year-old eight blocks away can’t sell a couple glasses of lemonade for 25 cents, than I think the line has been drawn at the wrong spot.”

Nearby, mother Bobbie Nelson had her kids’ lemonade stand shutdown as well. Police informed her that a permit would cost $400.

Meanwhile, in Georgia, police shutdown a lemonade stand run by three girls who were saving money to go to a water park. Police said the girls needed a business license, a peddler’s permit, and a food permit to operate the stand, which cost $50 per day or $180 per year each, sums that would quickly cut into any possible profit-margin.
$25 for a permit? You wish!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 AM

249 posts, read 330,003 times
The problem is that currently, simply doing nothing at all IS AN OPTION. As oppose to previous generation, if you are lazy and simply do nothing the chances are you will probably end up starving to death. If there's simply no food for you to eat or if your family simply has no money to pay for treatment of your sick mom are you still going to sit there and look at SWAT chart and then say there's no market... we can't start business, we can't sell service, we can't we can't we can't? NO. Right now our society is much closer to a welfare state than previous generation so simply saying we can't we can't and do nothing is a viable option.....

Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Good lord...there are a million other ideas beside lemonade stands. This is NOT at all about lemonade stands - it is about initiative and finding what works in your particular market, which often involves risk, trial & error, failure. But some posters can't seem to see the big picture - small thinking. Maybe the problem is not laziness, but that fewer young people can think outside the box?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:42 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Good lord...there are a million other ideas beside lemonade stands. This is NOT at all about lemonade stands - it is about initiative and finding what works in your particular market, which often involves risk, trial & error, failure. But some posters can't seem to see the big picture - small thinking. Maybe the problem is not laziness, but that fewer young people can think outside the box?

Or maybe just learning that failure is an option and it's not terrible. Little Johhny might not win and fall flat on his face but sometimes that turns out to be a huge win

Old 05-07-2014, 11:45 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Are we still talking teens here? I'm assuming so.

I know the first two jobs my son got were because of who he knew. The one when he was 14 connection was from a sport he was involved in. He knew people from that and ended up working in the ski school.

When he was 16 he got a job working on a local organic farm because our neighbor worked in the greenhouse there. Because he worked so hard, the owner didn't take on the other kids after the summer was over but he kept our son on and hired him two more summers after that and made him a manager. That connection also got him a great reference to the university he applied to because the owner was a alumni.

The job he has now - he emailed them out of the blue asking if they needed an intern. It's in the field he studying. They talked to him, liked his initiative, and not only had him intern last summer but have kept him on.

Kids need to think outside the retail/fast food box. Reach out to any and all possible connections, and reaching out to companies who are in the industry that they might be interested in can't hurt either. You just never know. But you won't know unless you try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics