Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times

Advertisements

I have a young man of 16, that works for me every saturday 8 hours. Does whatever is needed, from lawns to mowing a 4 acre pasture down. From painting, to digging post holes. Can hardly get him to slow down and eat lunch which we always provide. He is probably the hardest working teen ager any of you have ever seen. Pay him considerably above minimum wage. Polite. He seems to be the typical teenager around our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM

37 posts, read 90,968 times
Its not that teens or "young people" are getting lazier. Im 18 and im sure as hell not lazy. The problem is that most teenagers only work to save up for college and of course to buy things. But heres the problem, every teenager in high school knows that they will receive financial aid for college so the need for summer jobs is extremely low for that reason. They're not getting lazy, they are getting comfortable with the governments help and depending on them to do everything for them. So when you say "teens are lazy" its not true, its just that the government loves to help the poor and f over the wealthy. The government basically shows us that being wealthy/ rich comes with a price - pay more taxes. Whereas being poor comes with no price, its actually a positive thing to be poor because we won't be so harsh on you. This is americas mentality and its whats ****ing everything up.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes but dont blame them blame those who raised them or didnt raise them.
boomers wanted their x y and z kids to have all they didnt. of course not having it all was what made us strong.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes but dont blame them blame those who raised them or didnt raise them.
boomers wanted their x y and z kids to have all they didnt. of course not having it all was what made us strong.
Not all of what Y's have was needed then, now it is. A cell phone, pff you had pay phones every block into the new millennium. Now you can find maybe a few pay phones in a given town. A person applying to a job just walked to the factory and asked for an opening and got directed to the owner, try doing that today and get an answer other than apply online. It's rare you do.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,516 times
My roommate says it's a cultural thing

I've never had to work and still don't have to since I'm 20 years old and I'm fortunate enough to have parents who can pay for my wants, needs and college.

But I do have a job and I'm actually enjoying the experience and independence.

My boss actually loves me and just gave me a slight raise after less than 6 months. Granted I am a college student and it's an easy job, but I still appreciate it.

It's definitely taught me a lot of responsibility and helped me mature quite a bit. I feel more confident in my abilities and the networking is amazing.

My roommate was Chinese American and she says she's amazed at the amount of white kids at our school (we do go to an expensive private university) who've never bussed a table. But the fact is most of us (including her) don't have to work. She chose to and she says almost every Asian she knows, whether they come from a wealthy family or not, has bussed a table or worked in food or retail.

I do think immigrants have a different work ethic but I mean, I think society as a whole is becoming lazier in general

Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
no. old people are getting grumpier.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
Every generation whines about young people getting lazier. At one point, people thought that driving more than 5 MPH was satanic or that Rock and Roll or dancing would destroy the world.

Young people today have it worse than anyone else posting on this forum. The unemployment rates they face are huge. Old people, on the aggregate, haven't been responsible so few of them are really retiring. Young people now have to compete against them for jobs. The educational requirements for a good job and a ton more costly than they were 50 years ago. They'll also face a country that will be close to bankrupted by the boomers who have refused to pay enough taxes to do things like keep social security solvent.

Were the internet around 50 years ago, you'd have the same posts made by people in the older demographic whining about the younger demographic. It's sort of, well, what's the opposite of intelligent again?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We have teens in our neighborhood (15, 16, 17). Generation Gimmie of the finest. Please do not blame it on peer pressure but on parental indulgence.
^This. Rather than be the "bad cop", SOME parents of today give-in to whatever their kids want. Not just because the kid's friend has one too, but because the parent doesn't want their kid to go without or feel left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics