Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,367 times

Advertisements

Just stumbled upon this article while surfing the web:

Consumer Psychology: Ways Our Friends Influence Our Purchase Behavior

It argues that friends play a huge role in our purchase decisions, but I beg to differ. I tend to be wary of others' opinions -- even those of my friends and family -- because they might push me to go for the more expensive brands. I always resist and go for the ones that are easier on the wallet.

What do you think? Do friends have THAT much sway when it comes to your buying decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 02:26 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It's probably true for the general public. Not so much true for people who are careful with their money. But I suspect that the careful spenders are in the minority.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:29 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

It argues that friends play a huge role in our purchase decisions, but I beg to differ. I tend to be wary of others' opinions -- even those of my friends and family -- because they might push me to go for the more expensive brands. I always resist and go for the ones that are easier on the wallet.

What do you think? Do friends have THAT much sway when it comes to your buying decisions?
Another reason I rarely check Facebook anymore..

Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,490 times
There are those that follow the pack and then there are those contrarian's that don't follow the flock.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Our friends do not influence our purchases at all and never have. We do not want nor desire a house full of material items.
We have what we need and need what we have and the rest is being sold at the garage sale coming up in June.
Those items aren't even excessive just things that haven't been used in a year, a few coats and some clothing items that someone else can get some use out of that no longer fit. The biggest thing we have right now are a scooter, a motor home and a semi, all of which are for sale.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

On the larger economy yes because of societal sanctions. As much as we don't want to admit they exist, they do. Now it maybe lighter or harsher but they do happen in most cases even if you don't subscribe to societal norms.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:14 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,871 times
I think friends could easily influence. I haven't read the article, so I don't know what type of friends they're talking about, but I think plenty of people probably end up buying a particular car based on the fact that they have a number of friends who have had a great experience with that particular brand or model. After all, that's actual use by people you know rather than just reading some specs. I also think the same could be true about a particular neighborhood or city - if you know a family (or multiple families) that LOVE their neighborhood, and it has everything that you were also looking for, it would make more sense to move into the tried-and-true neighborhood than the one you're less sure of.

Maybe the article was talking more about peer-pressure type of situations, but I think most people tend to surround themselves with friends who are similar to themselves. If you're a practical, rational person, then you're not likely to succumb to peer pressure, but you probably are more likely to consider particular brands/models/areas/etc. based off recommendations from similarly minded friends. Actually, I think a lot of people are influence regardless of if something was specifically recommended. For instance, if you're in the market to purchase a vehicle, and you've read about how a particular brand is bad (despite the specs looking OK), and your friend has that brand and has an awful experience, you're more likely to go, "Ok, well, I've read bad things about it, and I also have this friend who had exactly the type of experience I've read about, so I'm not going to purchase that brand." But if you read great things about a particular brand, and you have multiple friends who own a vehicle from that brand and love it, then that's likely to confirm your opinion that it's a good brand.

My mom has a friend who travels a lot. So when she decided she wanted to go on a vacation to a particular country this friend regularly visits, she asked the friend for recommendations about where she should stay (knowing the friend is practical and stays in nice, affordable, places in good locations). This is totally normal. Friends regularly influence purchases - whether it's a night in a hotel, or it's a vehicle. If you have a friend who just got bed bugs from a particular hotel, would you really decide to stay at that same hotel for a night soon after? Of course not, unless you're crazy.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:55 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Geez, with all these threads about students loans and college expenses... All my friends ran off to college, and damn near tried to drag me along with them. Peer pressure... Without a college degree, you'll be flipping a burger or worse!!!

I'll avoid exploring the irony of it all, but I tend to avoid group think and herd mentality. I've seen huge swatches of society get clobbered in the past 5-7 years, simply for following the crowd around them.

The only people I consult regarding purchasing decisions are my family. Big ticket items especially, you just can't afford to get it wrong. Better to talk to someone with more experience, so you don't have to learn from your own bad experience in the future.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Few of our friends/family are in the same financial situation. It would be hard for someone making $180k to influence the buying decisions of someone making $100k, $70k or $40k, especially for things like cars and homes where there is a big difference in what one can afford. We rarely discuss purchases with friends or family. We do a lot of research at reliable
review websites such as Consumer Reports, look for good deals and get what we want. When it comes to Facebook, very few friends are "friends", mostly just family and it would be rare to see a post from someone having bought something.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
That article is one man's opinion. He claims there are studies about this topic, but doesn't reference any.

I think lots of consumers are prone to herd behavior. They do it with clothes, cars, iphones, music, etc. These are largely subjective choices, not based on objective criteria.

I claim nothing special by saying that I don't buy that way. I rarely ask friends and family about "what to buy" because most of them are not discerning buyers. Most beer drinkers drink awful beers. I will not ask a friend drinking Corona what beer should I buy because I know he or she has no taste in beer. I have a few friends that are deep into certain hobbies, such as guns, and I would ask them for their opinion.

When someone tells me they would buy a Chevy truck "because that's what I like" then I know they don't know anything about Fords.

Restaurants, hotels, and other travel related items are an area where I listen to what others say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics