Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A patent attorney is a service job. Patent attorneys make north of $250K/year. Partners at such law firms make north of $500K/year.
Everything that is considered a "good job" is a service job. Doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, senators, management consultants, college professor, etc. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Barack Obama, Brad Pitt, Dr. Oz, Oprah, etc all work in the "service sector."

Tertiary sector of the economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Shouldn't employers pay enough so that happens, instead of passing those costs off to government social services? What gives?
"what gives" is borrowed money

when money is created from the federal reserve bank, it enters the economy through financial intermediaries at the "top of the pyramid."

the people you're talking about are wage-earners at the bottom of the pyramid. they experience the costs, but not the benefits, of an 'easy money environment' that waters down their wages.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:20 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A patent attorney is a service job.
Do you think this sort of pedantry helps your point?

Attorneys are professionals.
But yeah, we have to many people doing that as well.

Quote:
...parking valets in Las Vegas at major Strip resorts easily make $75,000/year in cash tips.
These jobs are in ...
They are in isolated situations.

Service jobs have value.
But unless the work being done is actually producing something
and/or making money far in excess of the time involved...
they will NEVER pay more than menial labor wages.

Well there is ONE way they could pay more...
reduce the number of warm bodies available to do them.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 PM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem is, there is "making sacrifices to make ends meet" and really sacrificing.

No one finds it troubling a couple, with 2 gainfully employed adults with full-time jobs, decides to camp and couch surf for the summer to save money? That's terrible. 2 adults should be able to afford a reasonable place to live. These people don't have kids and they don't even have cars. So something is really off with the universe, if they are already living pretty minimal lifestyles, and figure not paying 3 months for the year is the best way to afford life.

And these 20-somethings who work who are on food stamps? It is a bonafied trend for low-wage workers. They types of people who are already driving crappy cars (or not driving) and living with roommates and such. And they still can't afford to pay bills and eat.

Meanwhile, shareholders and CEOs are loading up! And the workers are suffering. Full-time work used to allow you to afford a decent life, yet not extravagant. Now you can't even eat and pay rent....even if you are child-free.
Preach it.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 PM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I managed to live on an $35.00 per week that was leftover from my payroll after all monthly debts were paid.
I had rent, utilities, gasoline, groceries and one small personal loan. It was tough but all of my debts were paid on time each month, in full and I was still able to shoot darts one night a week without the help of the government or anyone else.

I ate a lot of rice a roni and pasta that was on sale but I managed just fine.
How many years ago was this?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I bet those baristas have 500 channels, a flat screen tv, unlimited texting and internet on their iphones and car loans.

Maybe instead of saying a barista should make more money, they should find a new job. There are tons of jobs out there that don't require anything more than you showing up on time and they might not pay the most but they sure as heck can pay all the bills.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
How many years ago was this?
I wonder that too. Was it before the nineties our just recent. The more recent the more likely one can actually do that.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I bet those baristas have 500 channels, a flat screen tv, unlimited texting and internet on their iphones and car loans.
Yeah, it would be better if they showed the world how poor they are if they had tattered clothing and footwear, bad or missing teeth, no phone or other electronic form of communication, no computer, no television, and never entertained themselves with anything. That would get them far and improve their chances of getting ahead and show just how shamed they are of even thinking about operating in the modern world like an ordinary person.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Yeah, it would be better if they showed the world how poor they are if they had tattered clothing and footwear, bad or missing teeth, no phone or other electronic form of communication, no computer, no television, and never entertained themselves with anything. That would get them far and improve their chances of getting ahead and show just how shamed they are of even thinking about operating in the modern world like an ordinary person.

Oh yeah, because taking a cheap route and not paying for cable, phone internet or the newest iphone equates to going out in public with tattered clothing and missing teeth. Anyone making more than 10 dollars an hour in their 20s and being single could easily make it on their own if they budget well and don't overspend.

Many of these people on low wages want what people who make high wages have without actually furthering their career or education.

Nice try on your hyperbole, but it doesn't quite cut it.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:46 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,826 times
What waiter or barista in their right mind expects to earn a mid-five to six-figure income? Have you ever met a barista or burger flipper who said, "I should be paid 50k or more for this job."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics