Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
psst... it has always been a pretty crappy place to work.

But you know what else? So has every other similar retailer.
It's the nature of the beast.
The issue is these are (if not exactly the wage level) the jobs getting created to "replace" the good paying jobs that disappeared in the years going into the recession (off-shoring) and after (out-sourcing and staffing firms.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is these are the jobs getting created to "replace" the good paying jobs that disappeared...
Oh? Is that the case?
As in actual an fact or mere conjecture?
Pop-Kultch correlation dressed up as causation?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Oh? Is that the case?
As in actual an fact or mere conjecture?
Pop-Kultch correlation dressed up as causation?
Actually yes. This was a point of contention in the last presidential election. CNN ran a fact check about the jobs created under Obama vs jobs lost after I think the first debate. Most of the jobs lost were middle and high wage jobs with a few low wage jobs, yet those created under Obama were infact low wage jobs with some middle and high wage jobs.

Fact Check: Job creation versus unemployment - CNN.com
Quote:
And when the jobs started coming back, the lower-wage jobs came back stronger. That means that, while the nation has replaced lost jobs, many of those new jobs pay less than the old ones did.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:50 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Actually yes.
whooosh.

Again, NO.
The crappy retail jobs are NOT "getting created to replace the good paying jobs that disappeared"

Do yourself a favor and explore the distinctions between correlation and causation...
and for that matter the coincidental.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
whooosh.

Again, NO.
The crappy retail jobs are NOT "getting created to replace the good paying jobs that disappeared"

Do yourself a favor and explore the distinctions between correlation and causation...
and for that matter the coincidental.
There is nothing I said that represent that correlates the two. I said replaced in quotations because they didn't actually replace the actual jobs in the fact that it brought jobs Obama lost early in his first term to be slightly positively created jobs under his presidency. I never actually meant the coffee so barista jobs or retail cashier jobs replace the account managers jobs and the customer relation call center jobs, if you think that, you are delusional. Also you snip-cut my statement where I said if not exactly the wage level in parenthesis. You have misrepresented and misquote me the last few posts just to spout your views.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Whereas I'd feel sorry for the RN they are sponging off of.
I don't even feel sorry for her -- she should be a little more intelligent than that -- but if she allows two bums to mooch off her -- more power to the two bums -- they found themselves a sucker.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:27 PM

248 posts, read 310,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Ive never understood why "jobs" and "living wage" belong in the same sentence. I know of a lot of job that high school kids take in order to save up money for college, or have spending money for the summer. I know of moms that work to bring in a little more money for the household. None of these people could live on what they are making; those jobs arent meant for that.

Just because one has a job, doesnt mean they have to be able to call that a living wage. I wouldnt expect to be able to pay all my bills flipping hamburgers, but if I were an accountant, I would.

Pick your spots.
The problem with your logic is that there are lots of jobs that require a society to run properly. If you remove the janitors then you will have a filthy society. You can't simply tell the janitor that is making a low wage to pull himself up by his bootstraps and get a better job. SOCIETY NEEDS JANITORS.

Every adult job should pay a living wage. Are you telling me that someone who works 40 hours a week shouldn't have a roof over their head? That's a society that is broken. You either want a healthy society or you don't.

Now, I said adult job because i think their should be a youth wage in this country. Youth wages at jobs like McDonalds,a mom and pop bakery etc. These kind of jobs wouldn't need to pay a living wage. Young people would do them. A youth wage could be something like $8 an hour.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
... Every adult job should pay a living wage. ...
So, it seems you believe every adult job that current does NOT pay a living wage should, by law, be eliminated.

I believe every adult employee should generate a profit for his employer.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 PM

248 posts, read 310,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
So, it seems you believe every adult job that current does NOT pay a living wage should, by law, be eliminated.

I believe every adult employee should generate a profit for his employer.
I'm not being obtuse but your comment of what you think I believe is poorly worded. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I was responding to people who say that if someone is a janitor they should pull up their boot straps and get a better job. That view ignores the fact that society needs janitors. Does everyone just pull up their boot straps? Do we have a society where janitors cannot afford a roof over their head?

That's why minimum wages exist. Without them wages depress. Especially when immigration is high (as it always has been in the U.S).

Old 06-02-2014, 10:24 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
The problem with your logic is that there are lots of jobs that require a society to run properly. If you remove the janitors then you will have a filthy society. You can't simply tell the janitor that is making a low wage to pull himself up by his bootstraps and get a better job. SOCIETY NEEDS JANITORS.

Every adult job should pay a living wage. Are you telling me that someone who works 40 hours a week shouldn't have a roof over their head? That's a society that is broken. You either want a healthy society or you don't.

Now, I said adult job because i think their should be a youth wage in this country. Youth wages at jobs like McDonalds,a mom and pop bakery etc. These kind of jobs wouldn't need to pay a living wage. Young people would do them. A youth wage could be something like $8 an hour.
The problem with your logic is that it is wrong and ignores the laws of supply and demand. If there ever was a shortage of janitors, the pay for janitors would just increase. You actually see the opposite a lot of times, especially in school districts where janitors are paid as much and in some cases more than teachers. There's no particular shortage of people willing to do the job, but it's union so the wage is set artificially high at about double the market rate. What happens in the school district just fires the janitors and makes the teachers clean their rooms after class. The school isn't as clean as it was but oh well. It's not like society stops functioning because there's some dust.

After Memorial Day I was in a building and there were CRUMBS ON THE GROUND as the janitor was still on vacation. You know what I did? I walked over them. I mean, there was a doorman doing just about nothing so he could have gotten a vaccuum/broom and cleaned it up in no time. He probably didn't have one though. Like the school districts, in a situation where there were no janitors the role would just be spread around the other people. That's not very efficient in reality since janitors are low paid workers and it's much more efficient to have janitors who are much better at their job cleaning than bank VPs who take twice as long to do a worse job and make five times as much per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics