Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's fine now because you pay your fair share in taxes. IF the FairTax is ever passed you may drive on the highway but you will be a freeloader because you barely pay a dime for it compared to the other drivers who don't live frugally. THAT'S THE ISSUE. Also do you really think others would buy if they knew they were taxed for it? If people knew that they could save vs getting tax for spending and spending alone, they will join you leaving only those who can't save to front the tax.
Well, my work truck gets an honest 10 mpg and it's a 1985 Service Truck I bought in 1990.

I've paid many times the purchase price in gasoline and weight fees.

Now the really well to do that work in the same building drive Leafs, plug in Prius and Tesla... even a couple of others Hybrids...

They all received tax credits to buy, most can write them off, get to drive the carpool lane with a single occupant, get free charging at work plus several have home solar arrays and have not paid for a kW in years...

If anything, I the working guy and they are the free loaders..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Lots of people want to live in SF. To them, you are their biggest expense, just like what happens when your car doesn't move when the light is green. People honk because you are in the way. If it were not for those taxes lawlessness would loosen your grip. All space in SF is precious.
SF Bay area home is East Oakland.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:20 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Well, my work truck gets an honest 10 mpg and it's a 1985 Service Truck I bought in 1990.

Now the really well to do that work in the same building drive Leafs, plug in Prius and Tesla... even a couple of others Hybrids...

They all received tax credits to buy, most can write them off, get to drive the carpool lane with a single occupant, get free charging at work plus several have home solar arrays and have not paid for a kW in years...

Or... They're taking advantage of incentives in moving the country away from fossil fuels?

Better for everyone in the end.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:

They paid taxes on their new car purchase, you haven't in 23 years. Plus you said you do indeed spend frugally and only really have taxes as your expense. Under the FairTax prebate, you may pay WAY lower in taxes after the 20K prebate and be the freeloader while your co-workers pay WAY more for the same roads you do, pay more into social security (as that is on the laundry list of taxes the FairTax would remove.)

Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Point of correction...

Taxes are my single largest expense... far from my only expense.

With the exception of the Tesla... all these new car with sales tax are foreign imports... my Trucks are made in USA Chevrolet...

The gasoline tax sole purpose was to pay for roads... nothing more.

The money raised in gasoline taxes is enough to have the finest roads anywhere.

The problem is the tax is diverted and syphoned off... ferry service, carpool lanes, bike paths, public transportation, etc.

I guess you could say I'm taking the incentive offered by maintaining what I have where ever possible... making do.

Put a roof on my home last year... took a lot of time... bought the best materials and skimped on nothing... don't want to have to think about it for 50 years.

Well gotta go, almost time for the 6 o'clock news on the 25" Zenith color console with rabbit ears... no flat screen or cable here...

Old 05-23-2014, 08:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
With the exception of the Tesla... all these new car with sales tax are foreign imports... my Trucks are made in USA Chevrolet...
I'm glad the made in the US Chevy makes you feel good, the issue is if that was your last car purchase you have not paid sales tax on that since 1990. Even with the other cars being imports, they are STILL subjected too the sales taxes on the sale.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 PM

Yes they are... just like buying a used car... California collects a use tax each and every year.

I've got a friend with a late model BMW... very nice car.

It's just out of warranty and the Dealer is quoting almost $900 to replace the alternator.

I can go and buy a new Delco Alternator for my truck for $165 and rebuilt for less than $50.

It almost seems unless someone is willing to spend obscene money they are a laggard and simply not doing their part for the economy... sounds like corporate america talking.

A new Prius has huge environmental implications because of the Lithium Battery packs... plus the cost or resources to make a new anything has a huge global eco impact.

I don't have a problem with sales tax... it is just part of the cost that I weigh in my decision process... seems the higher the cost, the less I need it in general.

As to income tax... I do know people that have left the high pressure of the business world and love what they are doing... one was a high powered lawyer that now teaches in a High School of all places...

Some simply decided a family was more important than the trips, dinner out and new cars that were part of the perks of corporate life.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm glad the made in the US Chevy makes you feel good, the issue is if that was your last car purchase you have not paid sales tax on that since 1990. Even with the other cars being imports, they are STILL subjected too the sales taxes on the sale.
Actually the older it gets the better I feel

Old 05-24-2014, 10:06 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Point of correction...

Taxes are my single largest expense... far from my only expense.

So? That just means American companies aren't competing enough.

Quote:
The gasoline tax sole purpose was to pay for roads... nothing more.

The money raised in gasoline taxes is enough to have the finest roads anywhere.
The gas tax is woefully underfunding the roads.

Quote:
The problem is the tax is diverted and syphoned off... ferry service, carpool lanes, bike paths, public transportation, etc.
All of which serve a public purpose pertaining to transportation...

Quote:
Yes they are... just like buying a used car... California collects a use tax each and every year.

I've got a friend with a late model BMW... very nice car.

It's just out of warranty and the Dealer is quoting almost $900 to replace the alternator.

I can go and buy a new Delco Alternator for my truck for $165 and rebuilt for less than $50.

It almost seems unless someone is willing to spend obscene money they are a laggard and simply not doing their part for the economy... sounds like corporate america talking.

A new Prius has huge environmental implications because of the Lithium Battery packs... plus the cost or resources to make a new anything has a huge global eco impact.

I don't have a problem with sales tax... it is just part of the cost that I weigh in my decision process... seems the higher the cost, the less I need it in general.

As to income tax... I do know people that have left the high pressure of the business world and love what they are doing... one was a high powered lawyer that now teaches in a High School of all places...

Some simply decided a family was more important than the trips, dinner out and new cars that were part of the perks of corporate life.
Tell your friend not to go to the dealer.

Dealer messed up something on my car. Didn't want to take responsibility, quoted $300.00 to fix it.

When to a little shop, it cost $30.00.

I'd never get serviced at a dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics