Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 PM

23,381 posts, read 23,798,100 times

Advertisements

The DOW and S&P are doing well, not sure about the recent sell-off with some momentum stocks in the NASDAQ, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 PM

326 posts, read 469,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Dow almost 17000! Wow, even my wildest expectations did not imagine this and it seems to be poised to go even higher, sentiment seems to be robust and traders seem to be simply shrugging any negative data. We are a full 16% above pre-recession highs which is simply flabbergasting with further upward momentum At this rate we will reach Dow 20,000 by year end easy.

In addition even the Real estate market in some places like California are almost back to the highs reached during the bubble and continue to escalate. I would not be surprised if real estate prices even exceed their bubble peaks.

MASSIVE bubble that is going to have an astronomical collapse soon or are the good times back for good?
US has trade deficits year after year, yet the stock prices still go up. I don't trust it one bit.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,316,586 times
I don't buy it a bit. With all the economic calamity in our country today (for gods sake, our economy grew .1% in the first quarter of THIS YEAR!) there is not a damn justifiable reason for our stock market to be booming. A correction is soon to come and once again the loons on wall street are playing their cards thinking they will pass the bomb to someone else before it explodes on them.

You people are crazy if you think these stock market gains are anything but a bubble fueled by our government pumping billions into the market. It HAS to end sometime and then that bubble will pop.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:25 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,316,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The South Florida real estate market is still rebounding. Lots of new construction.
Tampa is stalling a bit. Maybe Miami is doing better.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 AM

26,181 posts, read 21,462,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I don't buy it a bit. With all the economic calamity in our country today (for gods sake, our economy grew .1% in the first quarter of THIS YEAR!) there is not a damn justifiable reason for our stock market to be booming. A correction is soon to come and once again the loons on wall street are playing their cards thinking they will pass the bomb to someone else before it explodes on them.

You people are crazy if you think these stock market gains are anything but a bubble fueled by our government pumping billions into the market. It HAS to end sometime and then that bubble will pop.

I'd wager that Q2 GDP come in much better than +.1 this winter was brutal and greatly impacted consumer spending

Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,081,406 times
The federal reserve created money and effectively created enormous demand for government bonds. They lowered the risk free rate which raised the expected PE multiples for the market, which combined with extremely high earnings has justified market pricing on a discounted cash flow basis. Meanwhile the housing market being stronger reflects the shadow inflation that has become the norm from printing large amounts of money.

Quite simply, there are more dollars per person. The value of the dollar is down, but we pretend we don't have massive inflation because the CPI figures exclude gas/food. Technology is always becoming cheaper which offsets the other price increases. Realistically since wages have not increased the levels will become unsustainable at some point because the portion of society that is being realistically involved is becoming increasingly narrow.

Of course, I didn't move into one of the markets where house values were swinging wildly. When we see a 7 or 8% chance in one year it is considered a very large move.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,306,667 times
I've seen this before, markets at an all time high, low volume, up one day down the next. The markets are stalled.

Every time I see this the markets start a long trip down at some point. Yet for 3-6 months all the pundits will say that it's just a 5%-10% correction. When it gets to a 15% correction they will say it will start back up any time. They will continue saying how great this correction is all the way down. That's their job.

This will be a the third time in my life.

BTW, I don't know anyone that has made any real money in the last 3 months, even though the "experts" have declared that this is a great market.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 AM

27,395 posts, read 28,466,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
BTW, I don't know anyone that has made any real money in the last 3 months, even though the "experts" have declared that this is a great market.
So far this year, the stock markets have been doing very little. It makes sense that they're taking a break after the 30% climb in 2013.

Actually, I was expecting the markets to go down 10% or more from their peaks but they haven't yet. Instead, they're just holding strong.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 AM

21,700 posts, read 24,920,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Dow almost 17000! Wow, even my wildest expectations did not imagine this and it seems to be poised to go even higher, sentiment seems to be robust and traders seem to be simply shrugging any negative data. We are a full 16% above pre-recession highs which is simply flabbergasting with further upward momentum At this rate we will reach Dow 20,000 by year end easy.

In addition even the Real estate market in some places like California are almost back to the highs reached during the bubble and continue to escalate. I would not be surprised if real estate prices even exceed their bubble peaks.

MASSIVE bubble that is going to have an astronomical collapse soon or are the good times back for good?
It's been like seven years since the peak, why are you flabbergasted? 16% in seven years is an anemic. Good times back for good? People really do learn nothing, do they?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM

21,700 posts, read 24,920,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So far this year, the stock markets have been doing very little. It makes sense that they're taking a break after the 30% climb in 2013.

Actually, I was expecting the markets to go down 10% or more from their peaks but they haven't yet. Instead, they're just holding strong.
Not too far off, the market corrected by about 6% in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics