Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:13 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,557,009 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was driving past a Michaels and wanted to go in there to shop but I felt afraid to buy anything there due to the recent identity theft scare, so just drove on by. It occurred to me that it might be better to simply go back to paying for things in cash. They can't hack into your account if you never use it. Maybe we are getting too technically advanced for our own good? Maybe the simple ways are sometimes better and safer.

For instance apparently hackers now have to ability to spy on you through you own computer web cam. You could invest in a whole bunch of expensive computer software to keep them out, or you could just put a simple piece of tape over the computer camera lense. I opted for the piece of tape.

Maybe its time to opt for going back to paying in cash too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 02:35 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,035,613 times
I could care less if a card number gets stolen.

Just means I have to wait for them to send me a new one, my money is safe.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I could care less if a card number gets stolen.

Just means I have to wait for them to send me a new one, my money is safe.
How can you keep your money safe ?

Old 04-26-2014, 03:09 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,666,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
How can you keep your money safe ?

Use a credit card not debit and you are good to go

Old 04-26-2014, 03:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,329,448 times
Credit cards are great for internet purchases, but around town I use cash a lot. It's important to carry cash. I was at a Walgreens drug store when the power went out. I was in line with 5 others waiting to check out. Most of the people had just stopped to buy snacks for work that day (candy bars, smokes, gum, ETC.) Since the registers were out no one could pay except me. I gave the manager $5 and told him to keep the change and then I left. When I got to my destination down the street the power was still not on.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Use a credit card not debit and you are good to go
Do you get any extra protection by using your debit card as a credit card and not putting in the pin #?

Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Credit cards are great for internet purchases, but around town I use cash a lot. It's important to carry cash. I was at a Walgreens drug store when the power went out. I was in line with 5 others waiting to check out. Most of the people had just stopped to buy snacks for work that day (candy bars, smokes, gum, ETC.) Since the registers were out no one could pay except me. I gave the manager $5 and told him to keep the change and then I left. When I got to my destination down the street the power was still not on.

I don't currently own a credit card. I don't want to get used to buying things I don't have the money for. Have you always felt it was important to carry cash? It does make sense when you think about it. Do you ever feel concerned about trusting the online buying process? It seems like nothing is safe anymore .

Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,035,613 times
Even with a debit card I've always had my money put back in the account.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Do you get any extra protection by using your debit card as a credit card and not putting in the pin #?

Yes there are better fraud protection options on cc than debit

Old 04-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I don't currently own a credit card. I don't want to get used to buying things I don't have the money for. Have you always felt it was important to carry cash? It does make sense when you think about it. Do you ever feel concerned about trusting the online buying process? It seems like nothing is safe anymore .

You can use a credit card to make purchases and not spend more money than you have. It's called discipline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics