Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 02:37 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I started this thread because have just been watching these wedding shows and it is starting to really annoy me. I noticed they are paying huge amounts for the catering for instance for food that is not even that great. I see shows where fathers sell their possessions to help pay for overpriced wedding dresses. I remember they did a test of the tastes of 3 wedding cakes ranging from very expensive to a grocery store cake mix , and guess which one won? Betty Crocker was voted the best tasting cake.

I just wanted to discuss it.
If the shows annoy you, stop watching them. Go do something you enjoy or at least something that doesn't annoy you.

Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 02:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I have been watching all these wedding shows. The costs of everything are ridiculous. The gown prices are out of control and some brides feel the need to even buy two dresses one for the ceremony and one for the reception. The cost of the cake, the location, the catering so high how do they pay for it? All for one a one day event ... and how many of these people will even be together in 10 years?

It's not just weddings either. The pressure is on it seems in society to go all out for proms and bar/bat mitzvahs too with parents spending money that should be put into a college education.

Still I don't know if I should judge. I remember as a child looking at my mom's beautiful wedding photos over and over . She told me her father gave her the choice of a fancy wedding or he would just give them the money to start their lives together. She chose the wedding and never seemed to regret it.

I just think that people are under pressure these days to put on a show, and pay huge amounts of money for something that doesn't need to cost that much. Then they probably move on to a fancy house and a fancy car and next thing you know they are in debt. What does that do to people financially in life to live this way ?

Spending for anything is out of control because people buy into the wedding shows and the cooking shows and the home remodeling shows.

If humans would quit trying to outdo and impress everyone else and live within their means and refuse to spend the amount of money being asked for prices would be very different.

Do you really need that $80,000.00 vehicle, or the bathroom remodel that costs $50,000.00 or the home that you financed for $1,000,000.00? I seriously doubt you really do.
I know I don't but I know I don't have the need to impress anyone. We purchase what we need, use what we have purchased and pay for it all in cash and don't care what anyone else thinks about where we live, what we drive, what we do for a living or how we eat.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:07 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
It is amazing what some people will pay when they are really wealthy. When a couple goes into debt or severely compromise their savings for their wedding, kids or grandkids wedding it's just absurd

Old 05-16-2014, 03:14 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
With more older, fatter and used brides and grooms, it should be running at a discount. If not, then I can only expect the quantity demanded of those goods to fall.:

BBC News - Why is the US marriage rate falling sharply?

Economic prediction correct.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
OP - you are absolutely right.

We - the people - are pressured into spending, spending, spending.

This is why there is a growing movement of thinking people who are turning off their TV's and disconnecting from media.

Corporations use media to pressure us into spending more and more, so that they turn higher and higher profits.

Print media (advertisements, billboards, magazines, etc.), broadcast media (radio, TV, etc.), online ads...

Media is everywhere and it is highly influential - more than we care to admit. The only way we can protect ourselves from being influenced by it, is to either work hard to see it for what it is and develop a critical mind in order to combat the ideas they are trying to sell to us; or, to turn away from it altogether. Or both!

Turn off the TV, and much of the pressure problem goes away.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
I started this thread because have just been watching these wedding shows and it is starting to really annoy me. I noticed they are paying huge amounts for the catering for instance for food that is not even that great. I see shows where fathers sell their possessions to help pay for overpriced wedding dresses. I remember they did a test of the tastes of 3 wedding cakes ranging from very expensive to a grocery store cake mix , and guess which one won? Betty Crocker was voted the best tasting cake.

I just wanted to discuss it.
You realize all of these shows that promote spending large amounts of money on *something* are really just a form of advertising, right?

Old 05-16-2014, 05:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
In twenty year of hotel event planning, huge weddings are NEVER for the bride and groom.

They are for the affluent parents of the bride and groom.

I've never, in twenty years, have seen an expensive wedding thrown by the bride and groom for the bride and groom unless they were both over 40.

I've thrown a few celebrity offspring weddings that were well over $500,000.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
This is America! We spend what we don't have. Some couples tend to spend big because its not their money. Seriously, if your parents are financing your wedding then you shouldn't marry at all. Thant's a sign of inmaturity. Couples should work and save some money for that occasion. Cut your coat according to your size. Grown folks don't ask for help to marry. Never!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Most guys could care less. Weddings are a woman thing. For most men he can ask the woman are we married? She says yes and that's enough. Guys don't dream of weddings we just put up with them to keep the pease. That's why women fight with guys over wedding planning. Most men don't care and don't want to deal with it.

Anyway weddings cost so much because people will pay.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:42 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Our daughter informed us that the average cost of a wedding is $25,000 and this does not include the honeymoon.

After I regained consciousness, I informed her that spending this much would mean her father and I and the dogs would have to move in with her and her brand new husband.

Digging further down in the statistics, it seems that most couples spend less than $10 grand. Even this seems high to me. Then we started shopping for dresses. Yikes!

The wedding shows, magazines, web sites and blogs are all pushing the notion that a wedding must to be a grand affair with an open bar and the bridesmaids dancing down the aisle. Somehow weddings ave gone from a show of support with cake and punch to a three day extravaganze.

Our daughter attended a wedding that started on Friday with a rehearsal dinner that seemed to include everyone attending the wedding. Saturday there were activities. Saturday night was the wedding followed by a sit down dinner, dancing with a real band and who knows what all. Sunday morning was a brunch and present opening. This all took place at a resort. I can't even imagine what this all cost. Such weddings pull up the average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics