Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I used to be paid for my actual work. Then they cut my research funding and I have to do research work for free ($0/year) and only get paid to teach (TA) and grade papers. Ugh.

I wish I had been born soon enough to launch my career back when you could actually be paid for doing science.
You need to get in on the whole global warming scam, billions of $$$ as long as your on the right side.

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You need to get in on the whole global warming scam, billions of $$$ as long as your on the right side.

bill
What global warming scam? The oil-industry funded campaign to deny the basic science behind it and pretend that humans aren't changing the climate of the planet?

I'm not going to do that, for ethical reasons. Even if you offered me a billion dollars, I wouldn't do it.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I make too much actually but I am the boss so if I screw up than a substantial number of people suffer.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I was underpaid for what I do after expanding the role and responsibilities, but my boss contacted HR to request an evaluation. They studied what I am doing, and researched the titles and salaries of others doing similar work in other places around the country. The result was a 13% raise and new title. Since then I am satisfied that I am paid appropriately.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
For all of those saying they are underpaid, have you looked elsewhere? More often than not what people think they are worth and what the market will provide is not the same. I expected the results as it's nearly the same everytime I see the topic talked about

Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is a simple, straightforward question. At the end of the week, for what you have actually done, are you paid too much, not enough, just right, or should you have been fired?

Please don't wander off on tangents. This is NOT about what you could be worth. It is not about what you are capable of producing. This not about an entitlement to earn back what you've invested in training or education. It is not about what your boss or your competitor made in comparison. It is simple question: Did you actually earn, on the job, what you actually got paid?
I'm really curious how you define "what you earned" especially with a lot of higher level positions. Cost avoidance is a huge aspect of what people do, yet you can't pick a given week and say "did you prevent the system from collapsing THIS week?" because if you're doing your job, you've prevented that from happening a while ago and to some extent you are just reaping the benefits of not breaking things at this point.

If you took a fresh college grad and put him in my job with a little knowledge, he could be very dangerous. So by not having him do my work, sure, I've earned my pay. But to really quantify that? It's not something you can easily do.

I'm only at my current company now because of an upcoming project that will serve as a huge resume boost when I get a chance to learn a new system. That said, I've seen jobs posting 50% more that I could have easily.

So am I under paid? Definitely. Have I produced value to the company this week? Probably not, because this week isn't a close and we haven't had to make any system changes. Would they be worse off without me? Absolutely.

So I'm really not sure how you're trying to evaluate things.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,657 times
Hello everyone . I worked very long simple manager at the office Insurance campaign. It certainly was a good experience . Received customer service skills , learned a lot about the insurance business . But I was not satisfied with my income and work schedule. Had to work . Then I got married and had a baby. Then began to realize that I was no longer happy with my job and need to go further . All proposals were not interesting . One day my friend called me and offered to sell food. Food for life. Thus began my first experience in network sales campaign. I realized that you can earn a lot more than before. Especially since it was something new and interesting . Acquainted every day with new people, chat and share experiences . Really it is very interesting . More and more she began to work the Web. There are friends from different countries. At the moment I have several types of income . Today I realize that you can live and enjoy , earn income , have a lot of free time.

A pleasure brings you your job ?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I am retired but yes and my employer agreed in giving me increasing wages every year to retain me. That the real key; does your return make you worth paying more in real world.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:03 PM

658 posts, read 847,432 times
I believe I am paid just right.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What global warming scam? The oil-industry funded campaign to deny the basic science behind it and pretend that humans aren't changing the climate of the planet?

I'm not going to do that, for ethical reasons. Even if you offered me a billion dollars, I wouldn't do it.
we had one wicked cold winter last year. i think we need to all go out there with our spray cans and open that ozone layer hole a little more. we have to warm things up for next winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics