Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

This is a simple, straightforward question. At the end of the week, for what you have actually done, are you paid too much, not enough, just right, or should you have been fired?

Please don't wander off on tangents. This is NOT about what you could be worth. It is not about what you are capable of producing. This not about an entitlement to earn back what you've invested in training or education. It is not about what your boss or your competitor made in comparison. It is simple question: Did you actually earn, on the job, what you actually got paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is a simple, straightforward question. At the end of the week, for what you have actually done, are you paid too much, not enough, just right, or should you have been fired?

Please don't wander off on tangents. This is NOT about what you could be worth. It is not about what you are capable of producing. This not about an entitlement to earn back what you've invested in training or education. It is not about what your boss or your competitor made in comparison. It is simple question: Did you actually earn, on the job, what you actually got paid?
I'd say I definitely earned it! I'm a cashier at a VERY busy Walmart. I work 33 hours a week and average 1100 customers a week. It is never ending and the only 'down time' is my 15 min. breaks and hour lunch. Well, my actual register time is 6.5 or 7.5 hours a day depending if it shows 8 or 9 hours on the schedule. And, yes, I DO earn every penny I make...and then some. lol I do have at least one 5.5 hour day each week and get one 15 min. break so 5.25 on the register...never ending customers. Good thing I like my job I guess!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:36 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I'm working in a Canadian gov't job, and I've compared my pay with statistical data on comparable salaries in the private sector in North America for my skills and job requirements... I'm happy to say that I'm fairly compensated, and make what my private sector colleagues make. Public sector and private sector salaries can sometimes be out of whack for the same work, but in my case, the qualifications and the compensation are in line.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
I'm not retired, but as I recall, I wasn't getting paid enough for what I did. Still, I was being paid a lot, so I wasn't complaining

Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
I'd say I'm overpaid. I think a lot of people are however they will more than likely tell you they are underpaid and deserve more

Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
I've worked in restaurant kitchens and a bit of retail, the most I've ever made was $10.35/hr working about 20-25 hours a week (I am a student).There was a brief period when I served and made more than I deserved due to very generous tippers, but in general I'd say underpaid. Anyone working a low-wage service industry job well deserves a medal and an instant raise.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,475 times
A private business I operate... not paid enough. ha, ha... but it is my passion and I enjoy it. On most scales it is very successful though.

Regular job... currently I make on the upper-end of the scale. For what I bring to the table, it is about right... I arrive to work and start working. Period. I don't go get breakfast, talk for hours, etc. But I'm doing my job and my boss's job at times... he is teaching me so I can get to the "next level".

Some might complain they are "underpaid" or they are "being used" but heck, I'm grateful someone is taking time out to teach me.

Last edited by King_of_DC; 05-25-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 10:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Basically I've always had an income that allows me to live within my means.

There have been times like back in college that I could afford an apartment with roommates, and a time I rented a cheap trailer because my income wasn't too good and we would go out after work for $1 beers because that was what we could afford. And I still live within my means for the most part -- although the irony is, my debts got higher when my income went up - but I've got them mostly paid off.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:24 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I used to be paid for my actual work. Then they cut my research funding and I have to do research work for free ($0/year) and only get paid to teach (TA) and grade papers. Ugh.

I wish I had been born soon enough to launch my career back when you could actually be paid for doing science.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 PM

154 posts, read 307,951 times
I am in medical operations management. There are days that I may be classified as overpaid because things are running smoothly and I have time and space to breathe, but there are also weeks and months at a time that I would consider myself underpaid because I'm doing the work of two and a half people at least, and making our processes and procedures more efficient for the entire rest of the staff. It all evens out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics