Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 PM

3,315 posts, read 2,132,650 times

Advertisements

Debasing one's currency (our monetary policy), giving special interests the ability to make law (our social and economic policies), and spreading themselves far too thinly (our foreign policy) is a sure bet for destruction.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a substantial trigger event to get the average mouth-breathing American to wake up and realize that his/her enemy is not their neighbor, let alone some political party (they're the same on virtually ever issue that really matters).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:06 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Yes, we should believe your pointed predictions and analysis after your last successful prediction of the market having a major drop last week...
So why should people just accept your opinion without evidence or anything more than a paragraph of spew?
Most of the posters I've seen on this forum ask basic questions and have no experience
on the markets. They come in here oblivious and ask what to do with their money.
I don't think they are interested in day-trading or one-week or one-month possible
returns, do you think they should load up on growth mutual funds and just kick back ?
With margin exposure and debt exposure and equity markets at bleeding all-time highs
on the tail end of a 5+ year bull market you want them all-in inflated stocks ?
Come back in a year and see who was right, not a week, unless we start a day or swing
trading thread then my recommendation would be different than most posters I see here
coming on saying things like "i've never been in the stock market before", and "my aunt
jenny left me $100,000 worth of Chevron should I keep it in there", or I'm 22 and have
$50,000 to invest but don't want to watch the market, should I buy stawks ?"

Old 05-30-2014, 09:17 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Most of the posters I've seen on this forum ask basic questions and have no experience
on the markets. They come in here oblivious and ask what to do with their money.
I don't think they are interested in day-trading or one-week or one-month possible
returns, do you think they should load up on growth mutual funds and just kick back ?
With margin exposure and debt exposure and equity markets at bleeding all-time highs
on the tail end of a 5+ year bull market you want them all-in inflated stocks ?
Come back in a year and see who was right, not a week, unless we start a day or swing
trading thread then my recommendation would be different than most posters I see here
coming on saying things like "i've never been in the stock market before", and "my aunt
jenny left me $100,000 worth of Chevron should I keep it in there", or I'm 22 and have
$50,000 to invest but don't want to watch the market, should I buy stawks ?"
How does this have anything to do with all of your failed predictions? I asked why people should believe you and all you do is spout crap about other people being inexperienced. This is a reply to a question so far no one has asked. It's nonsense. It doesn't even qualify as wrong because it fails to even meet the criteria where right and wrong can be judged.

It also doesn't matter if people are ignorant of something...it doesn't mean your opinion is true. That blather is also nonsense.

I've pointed this out a few times, but your prediction well over a year ago that things were going to hell, and get into precious metals, was wrong as well. (//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...pping-out.html) Just waiting longer didn't make that prediction true, and if people did they would have lost money since metals dropped in market value since then.

If you want to ask who should people get advice from, I would first suggest some one who made money in the markets. I wouldn't suggest someone who doesn't even make $10k a year and continually makes silly doomsday predictions that turn out wrong. Then when confronted with those facts proceeds to blather about things that aren't even in relation to the question.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
How does this have anything to do with all of your failed predictions? I asked why people should believe you and all you do is spout crap about other people being inexperienced. This is a reply to a question so far no one has asked. It's nonsense. It doesn't even qualify as wrong because it fails to even meet the criteria where right and wrong can be judged.

It also doesn't matter if people are ignorant of something...it doesn't mean your opinion is true. That blather is also nonsense.

I've pointed this out a few times, but your prediction well over a year ago that things were going to hell, and get into precious metals, was wrong as well. (//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...pping-out.html) Just waiting longer didn't make that prediction true, and if people did they would have lost money since metals dropped in market value since then.

If you want to ask who should people get advice from, I would first suggest some one who made money in the markets. I wouldn't suggest someone who doesn't even make $10k a year and continually makes silly doomsday predictions that turn out wrong. Then when confronted with those facts proceeds to blather about things that aren't even in relation to the question.

That's what we called getting "owned"

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Debasing one's currency (our monetary policy), giving special interests the ability to make law (our social and economic policies), and spreading themselves far too thinly (our foreign policy) is a sure bet for destruction.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a substantial trigger event to get the average mouth-breathing American to wake up and realize that his/her enemy is not their neighbor, let alone some political party (they're the same on virtually ever issue that really matters).

Currency is made up. The $$$$ value is nothing but a point system. The only thing that matters is the gap between income levels. Debasing one's currency means absolutely nothing.

No, the parties are not the same. The only enemy in America is the negativity perpetuated from the news outlets.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL, they're certainly doing their best to impoverish the elderly--just ask them.

Seniors, generally the most conservative with their money, have been hit hard by the Fed's finagling. All they've done is encourage more borrowing while penalizing savers with artificially low interest rates. They like to point to the stock market but, again, it's being manipulated. TINA ("there is no alternative") is in effect, and anyone who thinks that doesn't result in an artificial bubble that will eventually burst, doesn't know squat about economics.

Yessir....the rich and the poor, that's this administration's aim. The poor won't be movin' on up, but the middle class is already movin' on down.

Wake up, sheeple.
Why would we reward savers? Savers are awful for the economy. Artificially low interest rates encourage borrowing and investment.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:43 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why would we reward savers? Savers are awful for the economy. Artificially low interest rates encourage borrowing and investment.

Artificially low interest rates encourage debt and, when TINA is in effect, long-term investments, which certainly don't benefit seniors.

Do I have compassion for seniors? You bet I do. Especially since it looks like 2015 will be yet another year without a Social Security COLA for them.

Way to go, Obama!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:47 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post

Special interests usually have a lot more money than most people, so inflation weakens their position. If you're so concerned about giving in to special interests, maybe you should consider that their number one monetary agenda item is to keep inflation low.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
these are the lies they tell you and you believe them. inflation is always the enemy of the lower, middle, and non-banker upper class. the Fed actions and policies since 2000 have ruined this country. Just understand one fact. Inflation does not increase actual economic participation.
It kills economic participation of the lower and middle class. Peter Schiff is right. There is nothing wrong with deflation. It makes things less expensive and increases activity and growth.
The lie that inflation spurs growth is deception at its finest. This is because all the "data" that they release show greater numbers (due to inflation, where the number of dollars get bigger), and they say - look ! your house is worth "more". the stocks and bonds are worth "more". the GDP is "more". etc etc. but they are not worth more at all. its an illusion, because everyone else's is also worth "more" and the cost of living is also "more". so you don't win in real terms. meanwhile, in a data point such as lower-middle class wage growth, which they cannot inflate, stagnates. debt increases. saving decreases. this is bad for people.
Lower prices for goods are a by-product of technology and industrialism. They are not an enemy to the average man. But the average man is the last thing on the mind of the moneychangers.
Do you not realize what deflation does to highly indebted individuals, families, corporations, and governments? And by extension the economy as a whole via a cascade of indirect effects like liquidity crises and unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics