Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You are still missing the point. Not everyone is in a position to get out "just by working hard" without help. Is pointing that fact out encouraging some people who can get out by working hard to be lazy? Maybe, but the alternative is far worse, since it involves poverty traps that millions of people are stuck in.

Yes, it is true that some people might be encouraged to abuse public assistance. But there is no perfect system, and a rational person who has not sacrificed his/her humanity already will go with the lesser of the two evils. If you seriously think all that horrific suffering associated with poverty in cases where they truly need help to break out of the poverty cycle and get on their own feet is better than having a few people who are lazy and don't work hard, you have either lost your sense of perspective or you have sacrificed your humanity.

Encouraging people to work hard, and even incentivizing them to do so, is not mutually exclusive with helping people who are truly in need due to things beyond their control. I am a believer in doing both.
You are missing my point. I've said it how many times yet you still ignore what I've said. Yes working hard is part of it but give a poor person a huge sum of money, some will squander it and be poor again quickly and some will be wise and invest it so it works for them. But go ahead and encourage whining instead of encouraging financial literacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's called "astroturfing" and it's very real. Look at how all the hardcore Mitt Romney disappeared right after election night.
Mitt Romney didn't disappear. He's been on T.V. Liberal media just won't report it because they are afraid to. What he says may make sense and they can't risk that.

They would rather help people establish the victim status

Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,583 times
This argument is so orchestrated by the one percent it's not even funny, but I'll attempt once to enlighten individuals.

Big corporations are paying off congress, there is no red and blue anymore, all political entities are corrupt. There is no America anymore, it's become a corporation. The reason for this is because of arguments like this one, keep the people divided and they're clueless to the strings being pulled.

Did you know the IRS isn't even an American entity? It's ran by Britain. Don't believe me? Check out IRS publication 6209.

Did you know that if the government had decided NOT to bail out the banks, and give the stimulus money to the LEGAL American citizens over monthly stipends, each citizen would have received $64,000 to "stimulate" the economy with, thus proving the bailout a failure.

So while everyone keeps arguing about the "poor" problem that they created in the first place with this foolish consumer driven economy, you're ALL being stolen from, by your own government, at the hands of the corporations you so foolishly dump money into.

If you really want to fix the problem with the poor so you can keep your hard earned tax dollars, start protesting taxes with the tea party, because taxation is against the constitution anyways. Start a community garden that the poor can volunteer at and gain some of the food. BOYCOTT VOTING, END THE DRUG WAR - these are failures with loads and loads of insurmountable data to back up my claim. Our country is collapsing at the mentality of kardashian stupidity and disinfo and the easiest thing for these greedy warmongers to do is turn us against each other in class warfare.

Are you sheeple? No? Then stop fighting eachother and start fighting the system, we are not a poor country but our funds are being misappropriated and the information is being hidden from us and it is time for this to stop. We have more vacant housing than we have homeless for crying out loud and we'd have homes for the homeless if there weren't building code regulations. The problem is not the poor, the problem is the system is designed this way on purpose, to eliminate everyone except the 1%.

I feel like a damn hippy but seriously we need to stop fighting each other and band together against tyranny and oppression that are making us fight in the first place.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryllisminx View Post
you're ALL being stolen from, by your own government, at the hands of the corporations you so foolishly dump money into.
That's why Nancy Pelosi smiles all the time.

nancy-pelosi-keeps-title-as-wealthiest-u-s-house-leader.html

Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryllisminx View Post

If you really want to fix the problem with the poor so you can keep your hard earned tax dollars, start protesting taxes with the tea party, because taxation is against the constitution anyways. Start a community garden that the poor can volunteer at and gain some of the food. BOYCOTT VOTING, END THE DRUG WAR - these are failures with loads and loads of insurmountable data to back up my claim. Our country is collapsing at the mentality of kardashian stupidity and disinfo and the easiest thing for these greedy warmongers to do is turn us against each other in class warfare.

Are you sheeple? No? Then stop fighting eachother and start fighting the system, we are not a poor country but our funds are being misappropriated and the information is being hidden from us and it is time for this to stop. We have more vacant housing than we have homeless for crying out loud and we'd have homes for the homeless if there weren't building code regulations. The problem is not the poor, the problem is the system is designed this way on purpose, to eliminate everyone except the 1%.

I feel like a damn hippy but seriously we need to stop fighting each other and band together against tyranny and oppression that are making us fight in the first place.
That is very true except it depends on how you define the 1%. There is a difference between high income and wealthy but government knew most people are financially uneducated so they were able to get away with it as the sheeple cheered as government raised taxes on everyday hard working Americans while the truly rich were left untouched. Look up the HENRY'S. They are the people who really got screwed. Middle class could make that kind of money and become high income but now they that the voted to raise taxes they voted to screw themselves if they do.

Taxes will keep you poor. If people don't understand this simple fact government will always be able to fool them and keep them poor. There is a reason for the saying...

First you have to know how to make money, then you have to learn how to keep your money. Why? Taxes. Government and politicians are greedy and if you let them they will take more and more. As you increase your income, taxes are your biggest expense... essentially keeping you down and struggling.

yea... tax the rich... and they cheered as they screwed themselves.

Last edited by petch751; 06-17-2014 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You are missing my point. I've said it how many times yet you still ignore what I've said. Yes working hard is part of it but give a poor person a huge sum of money, some will squander it and be poor again quickly and some will be wise and invest it so it works for them. But go ahead and encourage whining instead of encouraging financial literacy.
It is clear to me we are going in circles so I will not continue this discussion.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It is clear to me we are going in circles so I will not continue this discussion.
Yes a waste of time anyway. The poor and middle class will continue to struggle no matter who is in office and especially if they are looking to government to help them. Those same people would rather whine and do the same thing over and over again and wonder why nothing changes for the better. The definition of insanity.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Trololol. Keep on trolling kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace789 View Post
Hey guys, so just recently i bought a 2002 BMW 325i with 125k miles for $4k. I paid $3k cash and then i was gonna finance the rest but i got paid yesterday so i just paid it all in full.
Quote:
Funny you post this, i ended up buying a 2002 BMW 325i with 125k miles on it for $4k ( $3k cash the rest is financed )
Quote:
Im not jealous or a hypocrite. My parents basically told me NOT to use my own money for college, that they will cover it for me and wont take no for an answer. I can pay for it myself with the money i have, even if i didn't have the money i could've still worked and payed for school. The car section is mine i started with $35k last august and now i have $15k. Since my parents pay for my college tuition of course i bought myself nice stuff.
Quote:
I live in NY and im 18 (will turn 19 in july) and i pay for my college tuition out of pocket,
Quote:
Financial aid: is what the "poor" people get, they don't pay a dime EVER for the college tuition all they need to do is maintain a 2.5gpa which is the same as getting 70/100 or 75/100 on every single test/ assignment. If and only they FAIL a class or the gpa drops THEN thats when they have to pay for the class they failed or the entire semester. But lets be honest only a complete moron gets a 2.5gpa or lower IN COLLEGE.
Do you REALLY go to college????? If you did you would know that there are different types of financial aid. Grants, scholarships, and loans. Grants and scholarships don't have to be repaid unless dropped below a specific GPA. Loans are repaid regardless.

Last edited by Nlambert; 06-19-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 03:01 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,305,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
I think the OP is trolling. He mentioned that he was Dominican. I have a hard time believing any Dominican person in this country would dare post something like this.
1908Wagy, Transcript of post #134:
Ace789, your 1,000 words, smug, self righteous post betrays your youthful certainty.
We can wrestle and keep others’ the faces down into the mud, if we ourselves are satisfied to remain share their filth and taste some that same mud they are forced to swallow.
Your aspiration is to achieve greater status and a greater portion of our nation’s the world’s smaller pie”.
I believe you to be wrong.
/////////////////////////////////////
My wife immigrated from D.R. and thus all of my children are to some extent Dominican.

Being the son of a Dominican does not explain and is not relative to the narrowness of mind and character revealed by Ace789’s original post. At some point a boy should hopefully evolve to manhood and more mature judgment.

If in our opinion Ace789 has failed to do so, we can conclude that he has not yet matured; some peoples never reach or exceed juvenility throughout their entire lives.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,255 times
Default Trolls can be informative

Lots of good points in your posts Amaryllisminx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryllisminx
Big corporations are paying off congress...
...& the 'spendthrift' citizenry is "paying off" Big Corporations via DEBT/wacky consumption. From 2000-2014, copious amounts of tax relief has been diverted/funneled to the financial apparatus/Big Business—this behavior WEAKENS Govt(s)!

Millennials: you've been hoodwinked by/exposed to deceitful economics @ a young age; try to understand that subsidizing the poor is how the elitist/colluding-debtors prosper! Also, if circumstances are favorable, stay with your parents for as long as you can; limiting expenses/saving money are PARAMOUNT to freedom/getting ahead in tomorrows "new normal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics