Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace789 View Post
How stupid can you be to think that this could be a fraud how in any way is this fake? Obviously you didn't go to college.
If you're so smart, why haven't you figured out how to use the multi-quote feature in this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,036 times
Angry seriously

Quote:
I live in NY and im 18 (will turn 19 in july) and i pay for my college tuition out of pocket, I've worked since i was 16 saving up to go to college and pay it myself. I've always been a smart kid and knew how to save my money and spend it wisely. My parents always told me that they will pay for my college tuition themselves, at the time when i was 16 i said no, but with reasoning i took my parents help because they wanted me to keep the $35k i have saved. We aren't poor, but were not rich either. My mom is a Nurse and my Father is a co-owner of small businesses around our community. They make (after taxes) about $90k-$100k total yearly. My parents were born in the dominican republic but came to the united states fairly young. They lived in my aunts house for quite some time while they BOTH worked there asses off and went to school to get college degrees. They refused government aid at that time because they said to themselves (and to me a lot) "Taking aid from the government is like living with your parents till your 50, sure its nice and comfortable but you're going to have an awful life if all you do is depend on them" This saying has been told to me numerous amounts of time (with some tweaks)

Anyways enough about my background etc, here is why i HATE the government aid programs
& why we should tell these people to F off.

** Financial aid for college students has to be the most F*cke up crap i've ever seen and it pisses me off every day. Lets think about this for a second, College tuition for community colleges are closing in on $2,500 while 4 year colleges are coming in on $6,000+ per semester.

Those who qualify for financial aid:
- Those who receive financial aid come from "low income families" pay a total amount of $0 for tuition and $0 for books, some do pay for books but the majority of students who go to college rent books from chegg.com and it costs anywhere from $20-$100 to rent for a semester, that is chump change.

Those who don't recieve help:
Meanwhile people who DONT receive financial aid have to pay the ENTIRE $2,500 for community college and $6,000 for 4 year unis + books. Lets not forget that these people who don't qualify have to work their asses off to pay their tuition + most people tend to take out loans which put them into horrible debt all for trying to get an education.

Why should they cut financial aid? If we were to cut finanical aid 3 things happen:

1. The price of tuition drops because schools live off the money we pay to enter college. So now since there is no more financial aid the price HAS to drop so that the poorer students can pay. This makes everything equal.
2. The money we can save from cutting finanical aid can be used for other things like fixing potholes, be given to hospitals for research purposes, more equipment for the city etc.. the possibilities are truly endless.
3. The amount of graduates with debts will decline drastically since the price of tuition dropped & the economy will bounce back up since more people will get jobs and spend all that extra money on goods.

Now you might be saying "ok they are poor so they don't have to pay cause they can't and you come from a wealthy family so you can afford to pay" am i right? i think thats what most of you thought.

Heres my argument: A person who recieves finanical aid gets to obtain a college degree for FREE saving THOUSANDS of dollars, they don't need to pay the goverment back, the governemt doesnt take any extra money out of their paychecks for receiving a college degree for free, THEY DONT DO ANYTHING.
Whereas a person who DID NOT receive financial aid gets a degree, has debts in the thousands, can't buy stuff that they want because they're paying rent/mortgage + paying back those student loans.

The people who are "poor" and qualify for financial aid have the same jobs as those who don't qualify (wealthy) making $9hr part-time. Both the "poor" and "wealthy" have the EXACT same pay-rate. They get paid the same, the only difference is their parents. If your parents don't make a lot of money then you qualify for financial aid and the gov helps you, if they DO make a lot of money then you don't qualify and the gov basically tells you " hey go pay yourself, we'll help the poor and make you find a way to pay college yourself " . But why should the person who's wealthy spend all their hard earned money on college tuition whereas the "poor" person spends all their money on stuff like cars,games, TVs, phones, expensive clothes etc and on top of buying all this cool stuff they STILL go to college for free.

We need to stop this government aid crap, if you have the ability to tell yourself " i wanna go to college and have a good career" then you also have the ability to do it on your own and not depend on the government. Once you turn 18 you are an ADULT, you make choices and you have to take care of your own problems. Just to clarify things, i don't mind investing towards my future by using my money for college. What i do mind is having other people get a college degree for free.

Opinions? All of this stuff is EASILY relatable towards food stamps and housing projects. Both should be cut to a certain extent. Make people work for what they want, i shouldn't be paying taxes to help another person go to college. Im basically contributing for someone elses education, we all are.
Maybe you should realize that many poor kids do work, but instead of saving it like you did. They don't have that luxury because their too busy helping mom and dad pay the bills! I know because I have experience.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Quote:
My grandparents didn't live here, they lived in the dominican republic. When my mom reached 23 years old she moved here with her sister, then met my father and then they both went to college. We have never asked or gotten government help EVER.
I never understood this argument. People use this argument for student loans and bankruptcy. Your situation doesn't apply to everyone else. There are people that are struggling at various stages of there life and may have little to no other options.

Are you going to go on rant about how homeless people shouldn't receive free food, clothes, money, etc from other people or places like shelters?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
Quote:
I live in NY and im 18 (will turn 19 in july) and i pay for my college tuition out of pocket, I've worked since i was 16 saving up to go to college and pay it myself. I've always been a smart kid and knew how to save my money and spend it wisely. My parents always told me that they will pay for my college tuition themselves, at the time when i was 16 i said no, but with reasoning i took my parents help because they wanted me to keep the $35k i have saved. We aren't poor, but were not rich either. My mom is a Nurse and my Father is a co-owner of small businesses around our community. They make (after taxes) about $90k-$100k total yearly. My parents were born in the dominican republic but came to the united states fairly young. They lived in my aunts house for quite some time while they BOTH worked there asses off and went to school to get college degrees. They refused government aid at that time because they said to themselves (and to me a lot) "Taking aid from the government is like living with your parents till your 50, sure its nice and comfortable but you're going to have an awful life if all you do is depend on them" This saying has been told to me numerous amounts of time (with some tweaks)

Anyways enough about my background etc, here is why i HATE the government aid programs
& why we should tell these people to F off.

** Financial aid for college students has to be the most F*cke up crap i've ever seen and it pisses me off every day. Lets think about this for a second, College tuition for community colleges are closing in on $2,500 while 4 year colleges are coming in on $6,000+ per semester.

Those who qualify for financial aid:
- Those who receive financial aid come from "low income families" pay a total amount of $0 for tuition and $0 for books, some do pay for books but the majority of students who go to college rent books from chegg.com and it costs anywhere from $20-$100 to rent for a semester, that is chump change.

Those who don't recieve help:
Meanwhile people who DONT receive financial aid have to pay the ENTIRE $2,500 for community college and $6,000 for 4 year unis + books. Lets not forget that these people who don't qualify have to work their asses off to pay their tuition + most people tend to take out loans which put them into horrible debt all for trying to get an education.

Why should they cut financial aid? If we were to cut finanical aid 3 things happen:

1. The price of tuition drops because schools live off the money we pay to enter college. So now since there is no more financial aid the price HAS to drop so that the poorer students can pay. This makes everything equal.
2. The money we can save from cutting finanical aid can be used for other things like fixing potholes, be given to hospitals for research purposes, more equipment for the city etc.. the possibilities are truly endless.
3. The amount of graduates with debts will decline drastically since the price of tuition dropped & the economy will bounce back up since more people will get jobs and spend all that extra money on goods.

Now you might be saying "ok they are poor so they don't have to pay cause they can't and you come from a wealthy family so you can afford to pay" am i right? i think thats what most of you thought.

Heres my argument: A person who recieves finanical aid gets to obtain a college degree for FREE saving THOUSANDS of dollars, they don't need to pay the goverment back, the governemt doesnt take any extra money out of their paychecks for receiving a college degree for free, THEY DONT DO ANYTHING.
Whereas a person who DID NOT receive financial aid gets a degree, has debts in the thousands, can't buy stuff that they want because they're paying rent/mortgage + paying back those student loans.

The people who are "poor" and qualify for financial aid have the same jobs as those who don't qualify (wealthy) making $9hr part-time. Both the "poor" and "wealthy" have the EXACT same pay-rate. They get paid the same, the only difference is their parents. If your parents don't make a lot of money then you qualify for financial aid and the gov helps you, if they DO make a lot of money then you don't qualify and the gov basically tells you " hey go pay yourself, we'll help the poor and make you find a way to pay college yourself " . But why should the person who's wealthy spend all their hard earned money on college tuition whereas the "poor" person spends all their money on stuff like cars,games, TVs, phones, expensive clothes etc and on top of buying all this cool stuff they STILL go to college for free.

We need to stop this government aid crap, if you have the ability to tell yourself " i wanna go to college and have a good career" then you also have the ability to do it on your own and not depend on the government. Once you turn 18 you are an ADULT, you make choices and you have to take care of your own problems. Just to clarify things, i don't mind investing towards my future by using my money for college. What i do mind is having other people get a college degree for free.

Opinions? All of this stuff is EASILY relatable towards food stamps and housing projects. Both should be cut to a certain extent. Make people work for what they want, i shouldn't be paying taxes to help another person go to college. Im basically contributing for someone elses education, we all are.
Now you need to learn how to communicate!

Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
...snipped... Compare the minimum wage rates of 1100s to the 1890s to the college tuition rates during those periods to get a better idea. College isn't really less affordable than the historic norm.

...snipped..
what were the minimum wage rates from the 1100's to the 1890's ?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:03 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Lost a bet? what are you talking about. Im writing this because i can, looking to hear others opinions. You obviously seem offended.
I am very troll conscious but, I like this young person and don't think they are a troll. He has some good points. Some peoples posts really reflect a dismissive, close minded personality. I like the face value, thoughtful posts and am picking up some good information regarding college funding. With 4 grandkids looking at their immediate future educational and employment options, it is thought provoking.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,185 times
Well the idea is to help those who want a higher level of education, which could potentially help them progress in society.

Then those people could (in theory) get a good job, earn enough to pay off their student loans and then live a comfortable life and ensure that their children are also given the opportunity to go to college etc.

And hopefully those graduates will give back to their communities whether financially or time wise.

I will say however, a lot of college students make poor decisions regarding student loans. I have a friend who is already $100,000 in debt with student loans and we are only going to be juniors next year!

You shouldn't go to universities that will put you in extreme debt. Go to a community college, finish your basics, keep your grades up and then transfer to schools that you can afford without loans.

A lot of CCs have agreements with local/state universities where if you go to CC for 2 years, you automatically qualify for a scholarship that covers 1/2 tuition or give you opportunities for grants and scholarships

Old 06-09-2014, 02:00 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Quote:
I didn't know i was writing a college essay here im simply writing not caring how my grammar is since its a thread, nothing important. Its funny too i actually passed my english class with an A-.
Oh, so you attend one of THOSE schools. If it's not important then why are you wasting your time on it? If you don't really care, why bother?

Quote:
Everything you wrote has nothing to do with my message. The government aids low-income families by handing them everything, food, housing, free college education. Im pointing out college education-which i think is the worst of the three-not only is it hurting the economy and the job market its just NOT FAIR.
You have a message? Could have fooled me. Students get financial aid in the form of scholarships which are merit based and most often through LOANS WHICH MUST BE PAID BACK. How many people have to tell you this before you can hear it over your own whining? And how does people getting their college degree hurt the job market? Employers want skilled workers. What? You afraid of the competition? Well, you should be.

Quote:
I didn't need to work because i knew my parents had money for my college tuition, BUT i understood at 16 YEARS OLD that i had to invest in my future and that my parents wont always be there to pick me up when im down.
Oooooooh! 16 YEARS OLD! I knew by age 7 that I wanted to go to college and study biology just like my father had. I attended a REAL high school which offered honors and AP classes and I begged my teachers for a slot in the college prep program. As a result, my SAT and ACT scores along with my GPA made me eligible for a full tuition scholarship at an outstanding university. Oh, wait. That was a state university which was funded by tax payer dollars. I guess my scholarship was just NOT FAIR, too.

Quote:
Let me give you a scenario.
1. This kid has a low income family of $40k and they can't afford to pay for his college tuition.

- He/she is 18 years old and has been working since the start of senior year in high school. Graduation comes, its time to go to college. What is the first thing this person thinks of? This persons first thoughts are "Let me file for financial aid, my parents are poor so they HAVE to help me!"
(keep in mind this person has been working since the start of senior year and is STILL currently working part-time for $9hr and have been working for 10months [10 months= length of school year] & lives with parents so no rent- maybe some bills.) School years are 10months so lets say this person works 15-20hrs weekly for $9hr. In 1 month they make $720- taxes. In 10 months they make $7,200- taxes.

- First semester comes it costs $2500, they have $7,200 saved up from working 10 months (the length of a school year)
STOP RIGHT THERE! DO NOT PASS GO AND DO NOT COLLECT $7,200 OR ANY OTHER AMOUNT!

Only a brat whose Mom shops for his groceries and whose Dad writes the check for the mortgage payment for the house where said brat lives for free would come up with this scenario. The estimated cost for one year as a commuter student attending community college in the SUNY system comes to $12,410. https://www.suny.edu/smarttrack/tuition-and-fees/ That's because tuition is not the only cost involved in attending college - you need to get to school and back to Mommy and Daddy's again, and those subway tickets can add up. Books and supplies average $1300 and room and board averages $3,770. Then there are various personal expenses and so on. Your hypothetical student needs to come up with an additional $5,210 from SOMEWHERE. Sure, he can keep that part time job and attend college at the same time, but every semester he's going to fall further behind when it comes to covering costs. If you can't even understand that it's not worth responding to anything else you post.

Have a nice life kicking low income people while they're down. Maybe you'll meet a few in a dark alley some night.

Adios,
- Rambler

Old 06-09-2014, 03:07 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Just look around the world at the countries that succumbed to Communism! Ignoring the poor will do it every single time!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
The op has alot to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics