Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
He used bad math. 380k gives you 30k a month gross which is what your mortgage is based off of. Theyre called jumbo loans and yes they will give you a mortgage for this amount because they are historically VERY low risk. The payment isn't 10k, its 7,600 (rounded) plus most likely 30k a year in property tax and I don't even know what insurance would be. Anyone making 360k would be most likely rolling over equity from prior home sales, not graduating med school and immediately going 2 mill in debt.

If jumbos are historically very low risk, why do they come with higher interest rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If jumbos are historically very low risk, why do they come with higher interest rates?

Do you shop jumbo loans often?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Fannie / Freddie insurance rules. Low risk =/= no risk.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:47 AM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,826 times
My best friend is a doctor and his wife is also a doctor, and I'm sure they probably make $343k per year (likely more). They live in a nice neighborhood of Denver (Stapleton) and have a nice house but nothing crazy extravagant. They have a Volvo wagon that's about 7 years old and an Acura MDX SUV that they shuttle their kids around in. He's mentioned that they have about $500k in student loan debt between them (med school is expensive!). They still live a nice lifestyle, but not like the Top 1%, that's for sure. They take a couple trips per year, have Season Passes for the ski resorts, and he's got some sweet mountain bikes, but other than going out to eat a lot their lifestyle isn't that much different than mine, and I make about 1/4 of what they do. Perhaps they're just trying to pay off their student loan debt quickly and are saving a huge percentage of their money so they can retire young. Who knows?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:11 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
ahhh, you forgot to deduct taxes. People pulling $250k don't get to keep it all.

First you have to know how to make the money, then you have to learn how to keep "some" of it.
i didnt forget taxes. $250K was the "take home" amount being discussed.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:19 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Exactly! I'm a physician whose annual income just puts me in the 1%. My town's most famous resident, Warren Buffet, is also in the 1%. But when it comes down to brass tacks, I have far more in common with the lower-paid salaried employees of my hospital, who sit in the 99%, than I do with my fellow 1%er Warren.

Salary is not wealth (although if managed prudently, it can lead to wealth one day).
if i made $380,000 a year in the same town as Warren Buffet, I'd be extremely comfortable. I make substantially less than that combined with my wife, in a NY Metro suburb, and i'm doing fairly well here.

You may have something in common with the 90-99%, but i doubt you have much in common with the 60-90%.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if i made $380,000 a year in the same town as Warren Buffet, I'd be extremely comfortable.
How comfortable would you be on that income with no retirement savings whatsoever, only a small amount of cash savings, pre-existing health conditions which (prior to Obamacare) made purchasing private health insurance all but impossible, and paying down a mortgage-sized student loan as well as home loan? Because that was me for the first half of my career.

Quote:
You may have something in common with the 90-99%, but i doubt you have much in common with the 60-90%.
Less so now that Obamacare means I can buy my own health insurance, my student loans are finally gone, and aggressive saving has allowed me to save up enough money for retirement. If things go belly-up for me now, I can just retire early. But only a year or so ago, that was NOT an option. Just like the 60-90%, if I'd lost my job or developed a serious health problem, I would have been screwed, and consequently I didn't sleep much better at night than they did.

If you're depending on a regular paycheck for your survival, you're vulnerable in ways that the truly wealthy are not. THAT is the big difference between folks like Warren Buffett and the bigwig Wall Street financiers and the rest of us.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
How comfortable would you be on that income with no retirement savings whatsoever, only a small amount of cash savings, pre-existing health conditions which (prior to Obamacare) made purchasing private health insurance all but impossible, and paying down a mortgage-sized student loan as well as home loan? Because that was me for the first half of my career.

Less so now that Obamacare means I can buy my own health insurance, my student loans are finally gone, and aggressive saving has allowed me to save up enough money for retirement. If things go belly-up for me now, I can just retire early. But only a year or so ago, that was NOT an option. Just like the 60-90%, if I'd lost my job or developed a serious health problem, I would have been screwed, and consequently I didn't sleep much better at night than they did.

If you're depending on a regular paycheck for your survival, you're vulnerable in ways that the truly wealthy are not. THAT is the big difference between folks like Warren Buffett and the bigwig Wall Street financiers and the rest of us.
Perhaps the 1% should be defined after first subtracting student loan interest from income.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Perhaps the 1% should be defined after first subtracting student loan interest from income.
Er, no... the 1% need to be defined in terms exclusive of income.
Certainly not the earned portion of their income.

WEALTH. Net Worth. Investment Income.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Er, no... the 1% need to be defined in terms exclusive of income.
Certainly not the earned portion of their income.

WEALTH. Net Worth. Investment Income.
Why would you exclude earned income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics